What to do with picks 16 + 20

Remove this Banner Ad

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
With #16 do we go after a KPF or the best availble player? I think we should without a doubt go for a KPF. We haven't got any kids developing in that role because Houghton has been delisted, so we are in desperate need of one. (Especially given Pav's age)

#20, do we use that on the best availble player, small defender, inside midfielder or maybe a KPD given Grover and McPharlins age.
Will be interesting to see what we do in the draft, but one thing for certain is that we need to draft a forward, most likely with one of those picks!

The closer we get to the draft, the happier I am that things panned out the way they did at trade week.

I'd like at least one KPP but there doesnt seem to be a lot of KPP talent going around this yr especially in that top 20 bracket. I'm no expert but from what I've seen if Kersten, McInnes, Boseley and Elton are all gone by 16 then I'd probly hold off on the KPP's cos there will be a lot of good midfield talent around so I'd be happy if they decided to grab midfielders with 16 and 20. Then go with KPP's from there onwards.

A couple of the mock drafts have brissy taking Todd Elton.
Either way if we go best available with picks 16 & 20 and both players are mids, our midfield is pretty much built IMO.
Gun midfields are pretty hard to stop.

At 197cm Todd could give the Leuenberger a chop out in the ruck when needed. And with the loss of Clark I reckon the Lions would probably pick him if he was available. For pick 16 we should draft best available then 20 aim for a KPF. But it all depends on who slides on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame we cashed in our compensation pick for this years draft, got to hate how Mitch Clark decided to waste our whole trade week and cash it in.

Would love to know what players who will be around in next years draft at pick 28ish you think will be better than this years draft at pick 20. Most of the pundits seem to be saying the top 30 picks this year are fine, but next years it will run deeper. Plus the aberration of GWS's domination of the draft could mean some very good luck for us as they may decide to take some selections based on need and not best available.

For once I would like to get the best available KPF with our first pick. Year after year we have said it is a high priority and we need to get one and continually we get mids.

Some of those have been good or great but we haven't developed a KPF since PAV!

For once I would like to get the best available KPF with our first pick. Year after year we have said it is a high priority and we need to get one and continually we get mids.

true dat. i find it amazing he is the only succesful KPF we have drafted in over 10 years :eek:

Yeah I'd like a KPF as well but this yr happens to be the yr that the KPF's are quite thin on the ground and very weak in general. Theres no point taking a KPF at 16 if the quality doesnt warrant it, we may as well just have thrown the picks at Melb for Clark.

The recruiters know a lot more than me but Kersten and Elton are probly the ones who may be available and that I'd take at 16. If their not there then I have no problems going with another midfield depth is just as important as a KPF IMO.

That's better than quite a number of other teams who have made finals regularly, though. Quite a few have drafted zero KPFs of Pav's quality or less.

Geelong for example didnt really take many KPF's in the ND. They traded for Mooney, Pods in the RD, got lucky with Hawkins as F/S but he's only just coming good. Just goes to show if we can build an elite midfield then how good do our KPF's have to be? Pav combined with one of Bradley/Anthony or even Johnson would do the trick in my book.

I think best available at 16 but if Kersten is there then grab him.

For once I would like to see the OP actually read the board before starting yet another bloody thread.

First pick KPF's we have had taken include Brown, Murphy, Drum (maybe a backman, but his bio was all about flexibility) and Polak. Brown clearly had a successful career, but they all have had deficiencies. A strike rate like that will kill you.

I don't care about where we take them really, but we need better talent identification with them, and better development. I think we have that now, but time will tell.

Geelong for example didnt really take many KPF's in the ND. They traded for Mooney, Pods in the RD, got lucky with Hawkins as F/S but he's only just coming good. Just goes to show if we can build an elite midfield then how good do our KPF's have to be? Pav combined with one of Bradley/Anthony or even Johnson would do the trick in my book.

I think best available at 16 but if Kersten is there then grab him.

You are only naming their KPF's who have been successful, and even then you have not included NAblett who played a role in the GF, and Ottens who plays a significant forward role for them.

Would love to know what players who will be around in next years draft at pick 28ish you think will be better than this years draft at pick 20. Most of the pundits seem to be saying the top 30 picks this year are fine, but next years it will run deeper. Plus the aberration of GWS's domination of the draft could mean some very good luck for us as they may decide to take some selections based on need and not best available.

I read somewhere that we would have gotten #19, is that incorrect?

Remove this Banner Ad

What to do with picks 16 + 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back