Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Accepting that McCartney should not have been involved, I believe Papley deliberately bumped into him because that's the type of person Papley is.

Because of this - and I would feel the same if it was the most mild-mannered, respected player - Papley should be given a suspension. His actions were the epitome of what not to do on a footy field in that type of scenario.

Happy to be laughed at by the majority.
As much as Papley has a reputation so does McCartney. He also has a history.

Bont is a slightly better version of Cripps but both get way too much media hype.

I wouldn’t build my team around that archetype

Pretty much every team has a good midfield - having a dominant intercept defender, a DeGoey/Martin type mid-forward or a dominant key forward is way more impactful than a tall mid who flicks around handballs and kicks a goal a game or so

Legalise throwing if a player has one armed pinned ….. this will keep the ball moving and help clear up confusion in holding the ball interpretations …. Will also protect players from getting dumped into the ground because they can quickly get rid of the ball and then brace for impact before hooting the ground

Clubs should be able to select a designated kicker for free kicks as long as they are not wasting time getting the ball to them.

Free kick in the forward half and the best kick in the team is standing next to them, they can take it.

Free kick for OOB, anyone can take it and take the ball.

Happens in soccer so why not and might increase scoring again.

Also looks bloody ridiculous when the umpire has to stop play and bring the ball 100m back down field to give it to the correct player to just take a kick again. Case in point, stopping the game for 30+ seconds last weekend to ensure Daniher took the kick when he’d already ran half the field.

Legalise throwing if a player has one armed pinned ….. this will keep the ball moving and help clear up confusion in holding the ball interpretations …. Will also protect players from getting dumped into the ground because they can quickly get rid of the ball and then brace for impact before hooting the ground

I wouldn't legalise throwing, but you could legalise a team mate coming and taking the ball out of your hand.

It somewhat happens and is let go, however usually if a player is stuck with the footy in one hand there is technically no legal way to release it unless it's with his foot.

I wouldn't legalise throwing, but you could legalise a team mate coming and taking the ball out of your hand.

It somewhat happens and is let go, however usually if a player is stuck with the footy in one hand there is technically no legal way to release it unless it's with his foot.
Interesting idea, perhaps your more toned down idea might be deemed more acceptable than mine …. Not bad

Clubs should be able to select a designated kicker for free kicks as long as they are not wasting time getting the ball to them.

Free kick in the forward half and the best kick in the team is standing next to them, they can take it.

Also looks bloody ridiculous when the umpire has to stop play and bring the ball 100m back down field to give it to the correct player to just take a kick again. Case in point, stopping the game for 30+ seconds last weekend to ensure Daniher took the kick when he’d already ran half the field.

Peter Hudson would have played for 3 decades then

Staging for free kicks will be at an all time high with teams repeatedly trying to get the ball in the hands of their best set shot without actually delivering it to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back