What will August (and the lead up to d-day)bring...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top post.

Could the AFL even look at the possibility of player loans? It works in soccer. I wouldn't have any issue in theory with my club loaning a rookie or a fringe player to Essendon for a season. The player could get some game time they otherwise wouldn't, and Essendon could pay, say half of the player's salary. Limit it to one per club, and there is potentially 17 players Essendon could use to top up.

Could be a win/win/win situation. Essendon get some okay players (likely better than they'll get otherwise), fringe players get game time and a chance to prove themselves, other clubs get a bit of cash and the development of a player is fast tracked.
If a player is banned then they get no payments, but Ess have stated they will pay player who are banned (to stop them getting their asses suede off) still won't stop the law suits from players whose careers have ended or left the club. So I doubt they will count as player payments.

I think they get a bunch of draft pick at the end of preseason draft to to up the team.

If you suspend all of those players and assuming they get barred from the draft which i think will have to happen then Essendon will have to raid domestic leagues to get the best of the rest.
If that happened then Essendon would still likely have a very competitive team.

If you suspend all of those players and assuming they get barred from the draft which i think will have to happen then Essendon will have to raid domestic leagues to get the best of the rest.

Carlton were also fairly competitive until the sanctions caught up with them.

Damn I wish I had thought of that. Only issue is if a club has injuries or the player comes on very well the club doing the loaning would be annoyed at weakening their list. But it could work. One player from each club = 17. But then they'd offer up the weakest guy = weak list. Anyway, nice out of the box idea.

Thanks. :)

Valid objections, definitely. My idea wouldn't be to force each club to offer a player, but to limit the number to one. I could imagine Port offering up, say Brett Ebert who is experienced, but not part of our future premiership assault, or players like Tom Clurey, Mason Shaw or Brendon Ah Chee who are ones for the future, but not part of our side yet. There has to be an incentive for the original club. This will either be getting games into players or a cash injection or both.

Another incentive could be to allow the participating club to have an expanded list size (by one) for that season allowing them to fill that spot on the list either by taking another draft pick or extending the contract of another player by a year, or even take a free agent if they wish (Brendan Goddard, anyone?). This has the effect of minimising the risk of not covering an injury and allowing the club to take a punt on another junior without risk.

I've no problem with Essendon having a weak list. Why should they be contenders if the allegations are true? Loan players might still be better than VFL/WAFL/SANFL players who have each been looked over in multiple drafts.

If the player comes on, that will be a boon for his original club. Basically sending out a 3rd stringer and getting back a best 22 in a year would be great. Remember, these are guys who probably wouldn't get much game time otherwise. It's a risk, but a calculated one.

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense. :p

If a player is banned then they get no payments, but Ess have stated they will pay player who are banned (to stop them getting their asses suede off) still won't stop the law suits from players whose careers have ended or left the club. So I doubt they will count as player payments.

I think they get a bunch of draft pick at the end of preseason draft to to up the team.

Yeah, a fringe player with 1 year to run on his contract has effectively had his career ended. He has no opportunity to show why his contract should be extended past the ban period.

Players like Michael Barlow and James Podsiadly are rarities. It's not often 20+ year old AFL quality players aren't drafted by then.

If Essendon lost half of their best 22 and replaced them with mature recruits from SANFL/VFL/WAFL they will take a massive hit. Don't underestimate the difference in quality between AFL and these other leagues.

Players like Michael Barlow and James Podsiadly are rarities. It's not often 20+ year old AFL quality players aren't drafted by then.

If Essendon lost half of their best 22 and replaced them with mature recruits from SANFL/VFL/WAFL they will take a massive hit. Don't underestimate the difference in quality between AFL and these other leagues.
Yes they will take a hit and they should take a hit. That's why there should also be draft penalties one year after they get their players back so they can't benefit from a bad performance ad well.
If players get banned expect Ess to suck for a few years, unless they are recruiting masters. But they can definitely full some great mature aged players from the state leagues.

Yes they will take a hit and they should take a hit. That's why there should also be draft penalties one year after they get their players back so they can't benefit from a bad performance ad well.
If players get banned expect Ess to suck for a few years, unless they are recruiting masters. But they can definitely full some great mature aged players from the state leagues.

Agreed, they should definitely take a hit. A big one.

I don't think they will get many "great" players from state leagues though. The players they will be replaced with would be fringe players at other clubs. Think Ian Callinan or Kane Mitchell rather than Michael Barlow or James Podsiadly.

I wonder how the other clubs feel about all this behind closed doors? Do they care, or would they be demanding/wanting a certain set of outcomes if Essendon is found guilty?
I've wondered this... we have heard tall of murmurings from the other clubs not being happy.. will be very interesting to see the reaction if for example they are just hit with a fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, they should definitely take a hit. A big one.

I don't think they will get many "great" players from state leagues though. The players they will be replaced with would be fringe players at other clubs. Think Ian Callinan or Kane Mitchell rather than Michael Barlow or James Podsiadly.
I agree, if their lucky they pick up a gem from a player who might never have got a shot otherwise. Freo has picked up a lot of mature age gems.

I've wondered this... we have heard tall of murmurings from the other clubs not being happy.. will be very interesting to see the reaction if for example they are just hit with a fine

This saga has been intriguing from the get go.

This is just another layer of intrigue.

The 4 Clubs outside the 8, North, West Coast, Carlton and Adelaide are the exact clubs who in their own opinion have been punished by the AFL.

West Coast by the Cousins punishment.

Carlton by the Salary Cap punishment

Adelaide by the Tippett punishment.

North...well the chip on the shoulder is there for a million reasons known only to themselves:D

ATM, they would all be agitating somehow for points penalties for self interest reasons lol.

Intriguing saga from go to whoa.

That isn't at all excessive. The punishment should cripple your club for the next few years as a deterrent, and to prevent any success in the near future that will be viewed as tainted. Maybe you could debate which ones you think are excessive? Or do you think your club will just get a slap on the wrist if found guilty of the most despicable cheating in AFL history?
Worried much? ;)

Actually that's the point. They can't play the season without doing that. Free agents won't be enough to put together a decent team. They'd have to draft SANFL/WAFL/VFL/NEAFL guys by the truck load. So to have the EFC playing (draw, money etc) the AFL will haev to allow all sorts of strange top up things to occur. But will the EFC have to pay 2 wages bills - one for their suspended players and one for theri new ones?
If the suspended players aren't paid then the EFC will likely be sued. So they'll be short of cash and have a half AFL standard team.

Anyway, they'll need a team (assuming the worst) and so need players. Get as many free agents as possible (nothing to trade with) and draft usign late picks for whatever is left over that can play AFL in 2014.

The AFL would need to do something so they could field a team.

I would suggest a long term suspended list and temporary player list that work similar to the long term injury list and the rookie list. Essendon get picks at the end of the draft to replace suspended players. Each replacement player is named as a replacement for a particular suspended player. Once the suspended player is eligible for return, the replacement player is delisted and no longer available for selection. It means Essendon will have to be given some kind of second salary cap to pay both sets of players, but it could be argued that it would be an added financial burden on them rather than a benefit since only one player at a time can be eligible for selection.

The only alternative I see is making Essendon delist suspended players. This means they'd have to pay out the contracts, which would probably tip them over the salary cap, bringing further sanctions down upon them. That would be a bit unfair on the players.

If ASADA doesn't hand down it's findings in August, Essendon will offer to stand aside for the finals, and the AFL will accept.

It's not rocket science guys.

Right you really think Essendon are going to throw away 3rd place and a potential top 2 spot to shut everyone up?

The other leg plays Jingle Bells.

"London To a Brick" Essendon will play finals if ASADA still hasn't finished its investigation. It has earned its ladder position.

Right you really think Essendon are going to throw away 3rd place and a potential top 2 spot to shut everyone up?

The other leg plays Jingle Bells.

"London To a Brick" Essendon will play finals if ASADA still hasn't finished its investigation. It has earned its ladder position.
When I say Essendon wil offer to stand aside, I obviously mean they will 'offer', in much the same way that the 'requested' external investigation on the eve of the initial ASADA announcement.

Don't worry Pazza. I have learned not to expect Essendon to do anything noble or decent off its own bat, without being forced to do so.

Out of all the Essendon fans with no clue I will be looking forward to your statements after the hammer is brought down the most.

We are not going to see the Essendons fans statements after the report is bought down. If the newspaper reports are true and the ASADA report says the same thing. Bigfooty will be an Essendon Frei area.

I wonder how the other clubs feel about all this behind closed doors? Do they care, or would they be demanding/wanting a certain set of outcomes if Essendon is found guilty?

The only club we have any hint from is Carlton, and they appear to be livid.

Secert taping of Essendons chemist and newspaper reports of their questioning the Essendon players growth and improvement. That is just what have heard. Given how clubs hate commenting on other clubs, this is pretty out there in the public discontent stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back