What will August (and the lead up to d-day)bring...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Carlton are privately seething?

I spoke to one of our Assistant Coaches a few weeks back and he said everyone (at our Club) is just stunned with what has been reported and that he can't see how Hird can possibly survive it. Now I'm assuming he only knows what we all know through what has been stated in the media, but that was his take on it.

The only club we have any hint from is Carlton, and they appear to be livid.

Secert taping of Essendons chemist and newspaper reports of their questioning the Essendon players growth and improvement. That is just what have heard. Given how clubs hate commenting on other clubs, this is pretty out there in the public discontent stakes.

so livid they listened to their secret recording with furious rage.......... and then put them in the draw of Sticks desk with his 1987 copy of Mayfair

This is the one thing I have never got my head around. Why make the recordings if you did nothing with them?

so livid they listened to their secret recording with furious rage.......... and then put them in the draw of Sticks desk with his 1987 copy of Mayfair

This is the one thing I have never got my head around. Why make the recordings if you did nothing with them?

Scared of the can of worms this information might open perhaps?

Scared of the can of worms this information might open perhaps?

Why? It works for them to get cheats out of the game.

Seems a lot of effort to go to confirm cheating, and then to do nothing about it

Why? It works for them to get cheats out of the game.

Seems a lot of effort to go to confirm cheating, and then to do nothing about it

I don't pretend to understand why they did what they did in the first place, or then why they chose to chuck it in the top draw until just the perfect time...

Maybe just maybe the tapes contain information the clears Essendon as well.

That's why they aren't touching it with a 10-foot pole.

Seriously? They have already publicised what the tapes included, they weren't talking about buying Flintstone vitamins

Did they do nothing with them? For all we know they went off to the ACC with them. Clearly they were concerned enough to obtain the tapes. We cannot be sure what they did with them, if anything.

Did they do nothing with them? For all we know they went off to the ACC with them. Clearly they were concerned enough to obtain the tapes. We cannot be sure what they did with them, if anything.

Didn't they come out at say when this story broke that they decided to do nothing with them? Anyway why would they tell the ACC? They would have had no idea of the ACC investigation, if they were going to report to someone it would be the AFL, ASADA, or the cops.

Didn't they come out at say when this story broke that they decided to do nothing with them? Anyway why would they tell the ACC? They would have had no idea of the ACC investigation, if they were going to report to someone it would be the AFL, ASADA, or the cops.

If they gave them to ASADA then there is a good chance that ASADA gave them to the ACC and Carlton was told to say nothing. But yes if they did nothing, then why investigate in the first place?

Putting my hate Carlton tin foil hat on. Maybe they were just stealing Essendons IP and if Essendon got away with it they intended to do the same.

If they gave them to ASADA then there is a good chance that ASADA gave them to the ACC and Carlton was told to say nothing. But yes if they did nothing, then why investigate in the first place?

Putting my hate Carlton tin foil hat on. Maybe they were just stealing Essendons IP and if Essendon got away with it they intended to do the same.

Or potentially they for nothing from it... so it really was a time wasting exercise and they destroyed the evidence when it was useless?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: suspended sentences.

Under section 14.4(c) of the AFL anti-doping code, a penalty can be suspended, but for a maximum of three quarters of the period of ineligiblity and only if the player provides substantial assistance which results in establishing that another person has breached the anti-doping code. For example, if a 2 year penalty applied, 18 months could be suspended but 6 months would need still need to be served (in-competition). But this only applies where a person provides assistance that actually results in finding another player guilty. If ASADA already had what they needed to charge other players, it would be very hard to get a reduction in the period of ineligibility under this section. It is intended to cover someone who voluntarily comes forward with information to ping others, not someone who has only cooperated because they were caught.

You can also get a suspended penalty if you establish more than one of the available defences, but once again the suspended component must be less than 3/4 of the period of ineligibility otherwise applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back