Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Emperor of the North Pole (1973)

At the height of the Great Depression, psychotic freight train conductor Shack (Ernest Borgnine) refuses to let any hobos ride his train. He is more than happy to club them with his hammer and watch them get mangled as they fall between the carriages. Older 'bo, A-Number 1 (Lee Marvin) for no reason than the challenge declares he will ride the train and lets everybody know. An inevitable climax is ensured.

An exciting and unusual film, aided immeasurably by the performances of its protagonists, many stunts done aboard the moving trains, the period design and director Robert Aldrich's handling of this fable of masculine power-plays over nothing. However, the inclusion of Keith Carradine as a whiny young bum who tries to ride on Marvin's coattails sucks life from the narrative each time the camera turns to him and surely by 1973 someone other than Frank Devol could have been requested to write the score. Otherwise, well, well worth watching. 7/10

Emperor of the North Pole (1973)

At the height of the Great Depression, psychotic freight train conductor Shack (Ernest Borgnine) refuses to let any hobos ride his train. He is more than happy to club them with his hammer and watch them get mangled as they fall between the carriages. Older 'bo, A-Number 1 (Lee Marvin) for no reason than the challenge declares he will ride the train and lets everybody know. An inevitable climax is ensured.

An exciting and unusual film, aided immeasurably by the performances of its protagonists, many stunts done aboard the moving trains, the period design and director Robert Aldrich's handling of this fable of masculine power-plays over nothing. However, the inclusion of Keith Carradine as a whiny young bum who tries to ride on Marvin's coattails sucks life from the narrative each time the camera turns to him and surely by 1973 someone other than Frank Devol could have been requested to write the score. Otherwise, well, well worth watching. 7/10
Thanks I should look for this

It seems you are into train movies

Have you seen Von Ryans Express?

Thanks I should look for this

It seems you are into train movies

Have you seen Von Ryans Express?
Laid up in bed with Covid (for the first time!) today and found myself watching a couple of old faves on DVD. Only now that you mention it there is the train link. And yeah, I do like train movies. Something about them works well in film. They film well from the outside and their interiors allow movement between spaces and characters.

And yes, love Von Ryan's Express. Everytime I see it I just think Frank might just make it ...😥

I think by any measure at all it’s easily the last of the MIs. You could probably argue that the first one is lower on action but it has the iconic vault heist and the train scene, 2 doesn’t have any real moments (the opening credits I suppose).

I enjoy it like you but it’s not good.
You don't think the beach fight is a real moment?

For me there's the opening to LIMB BIZKIT, the lab shootout, then basically the entire finale, from the car chases to the motorbike chase to the fight on the beach, all set to a grand score by one of the GOATS.

You know....maybe it's actually too low key compared to the newer ones. Most of the film revolves around shooting or punching. There's no ridiculous stuff like climbing the Burj Khalifa or outrunning a sandstorm or fighting in a helicopter dangling off of a mountain or evading a jet shooting missiles...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

True Lies is a number 1 Arnie action movie, perfect blend of action and comedy
I stand with this, watched it not too long ago and it’s just a perfect snapshot of the absolute best of 90s excess action comedies.
You don't think the beach fight is a real moment?

For me there's the opening to LIMB BIZKIT, the lab shootout, then basically the entire finale, from the car chases to the motorbike chase to the fight on the beach, all set to a grand score by one of the GOATS.

You know....maybe it's actually too low key compared to the newer ones. Most of the film revolves around shooting or punching. There's no ridiculous stuff like climbing the Burj Khalifa or outrunning a sandstorm or fighting in a helicopter dangling off of a mountain or evading a jet shooting missiles...

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
No I really don’t. Again mate, I love it as a guilty pleasure. The Aussie setting, dougray as a scenery chewing villain, Roxburgh with the horrendous accent, the fords in the chase but it’s all cheesy and not very good.

The franchise is now kinda built around the big stunts. 2 and 3 don’t really have them but 3 has PSH and a really well crafted storyline with real stakes (albeit the maguffin is still unknown). 2 just doesn’t, it’s genuinely not very good.

That doesn’t mean you can’t love it and have it in your top 3 or whatever for the franchise. Fill your boots as it were.

That Craig Bond vs MI was a cracking question.

After watching the previous MIs in the lead up to Dead Reckoning, went from casual fan of the films to one of my fav franchises. It's just such a fun ride and everything you would want from a spy movie.

Was gonna wait till next year but reckon I might have to do another rewatch, thread has me pumped at 11.30pm haha.

I'm an M:I 2 fan, story is a bit ehh but aren't they all in some way, shape or form ? It's mostly the Australian setting that gets me excited for it. The fourth one is my least favourite (just find it boring as hell). I have 1-4 on dvd (old school) but 1-6 on bluray and 4K. I'm yet to get 7/Dead Reckoning.... I was kind of hanging out for part 8 (was originally a two parter but now part 8 will be connected but largely a stand alone film).

I enjoyed the movie and gave it a 6/10, and that score is only because I have watched the previous movies of this "current adaption". Even then I still wouldnt have told anyone to go and watch this in the cinema.

Im not sure I would be recommending anyone to see it if they havent watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and the movies following it. Its definitely not IMO, a stand alone movie to fully enjoy and grasp what is going on.

I enjoyed the final scene and was pleasantly surprised. Its definitely set up for a sequel of sorts.
It’s the first of a new trilogy apparently. Rumour has it there may be 9 in total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laid up in bed with Covid (for the first time!) today and found myself watching a couple of old faves on DVD. Only now that you mention it there is the train link. And yeah, I do like train movies. Something about them works well in film. They film well from the outside and their interiors allow movement between spaces and characters.

And yes, love Von Ryan's Express. Everytime I see it I just think Frank might just make it ...😥

There's a bit of train goings on in The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

Ive got absolutely no clue what direction they are gonna take it but thats a logical possibility?
Ive been watching a few reviews/explanations of the movie, there is potential for Time Travel in this universe. As is what happened in the original movies from the 60s.:think:

When they were looking through the telescope in Kingdom, there is suggestion they were looking at a Black Hole.:oops:

Planet of the Apes, meets Back to the Future which meets Interstellar. :$

Ive been watching a few reviews/explanations of the movie, there is potential for Time Travel in this universe. As is what happened in the original movies from the 60s.:think:

When they were looking through the telescope in Kingdom, there is suggestion they were looking at a Black Hole.:oops:

Planet of the Apes, meets Back to the Future which meets Interstellar. :$
I’ve never seen the originals so had no idea there was time travel involved. I always just thought the humans realised they were on earth the whole time.

Can confirm I have now heard this as well. The conclusion did set up for an interesting sequel.
I enjoyed it being the start of something new whilst also referencing the first trilogy. Felt like it needed to tread a new characters terrain to help progress the full story.

I’ve never seen the originals so had no idea there was time travel involved. I always just thought the humans realised they were on earth the whole time.
Not so much time travel but there is an idea - science nerds can explain it better than me - that time slows down when in space

ie one twin goes into space and comes back to earth is younger than the twin on earth

There is some other forces in play but I think Boule used this in his original story to fast forward earths timeline

Not so much time travel but there is an idea - science nerds can explain it better than me - that time slows down when in space

ie one twin goes into space and comes back to earth is younger than the twin on earth

There is some other forces in play but I think Boule used this in his original story to fast forward earths timeline
Easy enough concept to grasp. Sounds a lot more intriguing to me now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back