Iconic movies - school me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to go down the sci-fi route (because it's my favourite and it often gets ignored when listing classic movies) and say that this list should hopefully be enjoyable...all are iconic in their own way and some cross genres (I left out Aliens and Predator because you said no horror).

• Blade Runner
  • The Matrix
  • ET
  • Total Recall
  • District 9
  • Interstellar
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Inception
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Edge of Tomorrow

I left out Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Terminators 1 and 2 as surely you've seen them by now lol.
Can't list Total Recall with Predator. Arnie was king of sci-fi action in the day. Though it does have horror elements.

I seent it.

The major blindspots in my movie resume are big blockbusters and action flicks.
Iconic 90s action adventure imo

Terminator 2
The Rock
Point Break
Speed
True Lies
Bad Boys
Independence Day
Con Air
The Long Kiss Goodnight
The Matrix
Demolition Man
The Mummy (horror elements though)
The Phantom Menace
Titanic
Twister
Dante's Peak
Jurassic Park

Some of these films are better than others but I am trying to stick to what's 'iconic', and The Phantom Menace is ****ing iconic, the end lightsaber battle is one of cinemas finest pleasures.

I've got more personal faves but they are a little more obscure. Imma try and keep suggestions on topic.

Iconic just means popular right. It doesnt mean its good.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean good, but it also doesn't mean 'forgettable'.

Plenty of movies that are memorable or have memorable elements in them that aren't 'good'. Being iconic as well implies it has some sort of cultural penetration, so nothing niche.

Can't list Total Recall with Predator. Arnie was king of sci-fi action in the day. Though it does have horror elements.

Understand your reasoning, but I felt Predator was more horror than sci-fi (set on modern day Earth, apart from the titular character no other sci-fi elements), and Total Recall would not be what it was without the setting and sci-fi elements (terraforming Mars, false memory implantation etc).

Of course also understand that many movies especially sci-fi blend the genres - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for example can be classified as sci-fi but I personally think it shouldn't be even though I love that movie to bits.

I'm open to almost anything but I don't think the husband will watch anything pre-80s
Sad, perhaps a few iconic westerns/action films may sway him.

Here are some Clint Eastwood classics:
  • The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Dirty Harry
  • Magnum Force

I know you said no slapstick but Airplane! (Flying High) is absolutely iconic, inspired the likes of Naked Gun and Hot Shots, and set the standard. For jokes per second, it is probably the best comedy film of all time.
Mmm. I'll think about it. I do think there's a shameful lack of comedies on my list but I'm quite particular in what I find funny.

I love horror films but a few years ago I decided to watch the old Iconic horror films and they are amazing!

Iconic Italian Horror from Dario Argento!

Suspiria
Opera
Deep Red
Inferno
Phenomena

I love the slower more immersing pace that 70s horror had like.

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978)
The Omen
The Exorcist
The Wicker Man
The Tenant
The Shining

Iconic recent horror:

The Witch
Hereditary (Not my favourite on the list but this creeped me out for days)
The Blackcoat's Daughter
The Wailing

Last edited:
I love horror films but a few years ago I decided to watch the old Iconic horror films and they are amazing!

Iconic Italian Horror from Dario Argento!

Suspiria
Opera
Deep Red
Inferno
Phenomena

I love the slower more immersing pace that 70s horror had like.

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978)
The Omen
The Exorcist
The Wicker Man
The Tenant
The Shining

Iconic recent horror:

The Witch
Hereditary (Not my favourite on the list but this creeped me out for days)
The Blackcoat's Daughter
The Wailing
I’m a bit of a scaredy cat… I like psychological horror etc but can’t stand slasher type movies. With that in mind would you cross off any of the ones you listed? I’ve seen The Exorcist and enjoyed it.

I’m a bit of a scaredy cat… I like psychological horror etc but can’t stand slasher type movies. With that in mind would you cross off any of the ones you listed? I’ve seen The Exorcist and enjoyed it.
When you say slasher movies, do you hate any gory scenes at all? Or just films like Friday the 13th or Saw where the main thing is just people getting killed without much else going for it? Because I can't stand mindless slashers but I loved Argentos films even though I think they would also be considered slashers.

Those Argento films arent for everyone anyway, some people I tried to recommend them to saw them and think I am crazy for liking them so much. The dialogue and plot can be clunky, but I think it adds to the charm. They feel like movies designed to be watched late at night staying up in bed, very dreamy and atmospheric. My avatar is from Suspiria.

The other films are all more psychological than slashers though but maybe with an slight asterisks on Blackcoat's Daughter.

If you like pure psychological horror, then The Lighthouse is maybe the best of its kind :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you say slasher movies, do you hate any gory scenes at all? Or just films like Friday the 13th or Saw where the main thing is just people getting killed without much else going for it? Because I can't stand mindless slashers but I loved Argentos films even though I think they would also be considered slashers.

Those Argento films arent for everyone anyway, some people I tried to recommend them to saw them and think I am crazy for liking them so much. The dialogue and plot can be clunky, but I think it adds to the charm. They feel like movies designed to be watched late at night staying up in bed, very dreamy and atmospheric. My avatar is from Suspiria.

The other films are all more psychological than slashers though but maybe with an slight asterisks on Blackcoat's Daughter.

If you like pure psychological horror, then The Lighthouse is maybe the best of its kind :thumbsu:
I don't like mindless slashers or movies that have excessive sexual assault. I can deal with allusions to it but cannot watch torture pr0n.

I'll check out The Lighthouse, thank you!

I was lucky enough to see Goblin live, performing the score to SUSPIRIA as it was screened some years ago. Have a nice original poster - that for some years was on my loungeroom wall - signed by Argento himself.

I don't like mindless slashers or movies that have excessive sexual assault. I can deal with allusions to it but cannot watch torture pr0n.

I'll check out The Lighthouse, thank you!
It's a great film. One of the best of the past decade. Two mesmerizing performances. Check how long Willem Dafoe goes without blinking in one particular scene. It must be a record.

So just a touch of sexual assault is ok? 😂
Cant Believe It Series 2 GIF by BBC Three

Not sure if it’s been mention but my all time favourite movie to watch with my dad is ZULU bc it brings back the best memories before alzheimers of us kids watching with him, all yelling on the top of our voices…ZULU 🫶🏻

Remove this Banner Ad

Iconic movies - school me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back