What's The Plan For Finn Maginness?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawker399

Debutant
Jun 3, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The bye week is a chance to talk about players on our list.

Finn Maginness - He has a reputation as a tagger. I reckon this sells him short.

At Box Hill and as an Under 18 he gets plenty of the ball. He is a great size for a midfielder, has fantastic endurance and good speed. His disposal although not always perfect is decent enough in my view. He is certainly a point of difference to most of our other mids as he is more versatile.

I believe he is on the radar of other clubs (Sydney and Collingwood I have heard) and this gives me Josh Kennedy vibes. I want to keep him.

What do others think?

Last edited:
Last I heard about our plans for him was that we were really pleased with what he brings as a tagger but Sam/coaches also had concerns about the cost to our team defense when you have one player that isn't going to be forming part of that team defensive structure. So this year was going to be about finding other roles he can play when not tagging.

He performed surprisingly well as a defensive forward in the Gold Coast game, and from what I've seen of him at Box Hill he's done well as an inside/outside mid. His decision making (both quality and speed) and kicking have improved a lot, but still not as good as our first choice players. Physically and athletically you couldn't fault him either, easily in the top few pure athletes at the club, however that isn't as much a differentiator on the list these days.

Personally, I think he's improved year on year since being drafted. He may not be the best option we have for any role outside of tagging (which has seen a resurgence in the last month at other clubs), but as a supporter I also have a huge amount of faith in his ability to come in and play an important sacrificial role - similar to the faith most have in Frost 2024. Finn is highly coachable and is probably underrated for his elite focus and drive. I'm not entirely convinced that he isn't an android.

I'd be surprised if there weren't clubs talking to his management. Same with Morrison and Ward. These guys are way too good to be playing as much VFL footy as they have been, but we've also had an amazing run with midfielder availability the past 2 seasons. Given he's a self-declared "Hawthorn nuffie" he may have a lot more appetite than most to bide his time in the seconds in the hopes of finding a Will Langford-like run of form at the right time.

I hope he stays but couldn't blame him for taking another deal elsewhere.

Last I heard about our plans for him was that we were really pleased with what he brings as a tagger but Sam/coaches also had concerns about the cost to our team defense when you have one player that isn't going to be forming part of that team defensive structure. So this year was going to be about finding other roles he can play when not tagging.

He performed surprisingly well as a defensive forward in the Gold Coast game, and from what I've seen of him at Box Hill he's done well as an inside/outside mid. His decision making (both quality and speed) and kicking have improved a lot, but still not as good as our first choice players. Physically and athletically you couldn't fault him either, easily in the top few pure athletes at the club, however that isn't as much a differentiator on the list these days.

Personally, I think he's improved year on year since being drafted. He may not be the best option we have for any role outside of tagging (which has seen a resurgence in the last month at other clubs), but as a supporter I also have a huge amount of faith in his ability to come in and play an important sacrificial role - similar to the faith most have in Frost 2024. Finn is highly coachable and is probably underrated for his elite focus and drive. I'm not entirely convinced that he isn't an android.

I'd be surprised if there weren't clubs talking to his management. Same with Morrison and Ward. These guys are way too good to be playing as much VFL footy as they have been, but we've also had an amazing run with midfielder availability the past 2 seasons. Given he's a self-declared "Hawthorn nuffie" he may have a lot more appetite than most to bide his time in the seconds in the hopes of finding a Will Langford-like run of form at the right time.

I hope he stays but couldn't blame him for taking another deal elsewhere.
I'd be shocked if Morrison was at Hawthorn next year. He's in what his 7th season??? played nearly 100 games and in fantastic form in the VFL and doesn't seem to be in contention for a senior game. Unless he is happy to hang around as a depth player who only gets a game due to injury he would have to try and find a senior spot elsewhere.

I'd be shocked if Morrison was at Hawthorn next year. He's in what his 7th season??? played nearly 100 games and in fantastic form in the VFL and doesn't seem to be in contention for a senior game. Unless he is happy to hang around as a depth player who only gets a game due to injury he would have to try and find a senior spot elsewhere.
Morrison has been named emergency the past 2 games so I wouldn't say he's not in contention. We've just had such great availability for players who play his position that it's hard for him to get a look in.

I think with Finn, he could be a bit like Nash. I really liked him as a defensive forward in the Gold Coast game, how ever with us playing Hardwick in the forward line, along with the pressure that both Dear and Chol are providing, it would make him surplus to needs.

I think he has the attributes to learn other area’s and would be good where he is placed, but other players would probably be just in front of him.

If other clubs come knocking you couldn’t blame him if he was considering some offers. Would love to see him stay though.

Morrison has been named emergency the past 2 games so I wouldn't say he's not in contention. We've just had such great availability for players who play his position that it's hard for him to get a look in.
hasn't helped Harry how flipping good Mass has been

Finn's a player I really hope sticks with the club throughout his career as he is a talent and has so many attributes that we can utilise in the right situation.

Other clubs will come knocking for him, I just hope we can sell him on being a part of success moving forward.

It's pretty clear Mitchell does not want to use a tagger all the time, and that Finn isn't preferred in the midfield rotation for any other role.

It's unfair for us to hold onto him and stop him fulfilling his potential, given he has the ability to be a primary inside mid at most clubs.

I have no fear of him becoming the "next Kennedy" as such, even if he does go on to do great things.
We made the right 'short-term' call back then too IMO given we were red hot in the window to win flags.

A pick close to 20-ish and I'd be happy for him to go to another club.

hasn't helped Harry how flipping good Mass has been
This is what I mean by talent discovery when we are in the development stage.
We could easily pick up 5-6 Harry's from other clubs for a few bags of chips, and that would have elevated us last season.
But I'd rather we take calculated risks on the types of players we have (Mass, Chol, Ginn, Scaife) with higher upside that hasn't been captured to date.

IMO Finn is one of the most intriguing pieces of our rebuild.

We have promising youth across all 3 lines, but Finn has some high quality, unique attributes.

I really hope we can keep him around. A player who is an elite tagger, one of the best athletes in the AFL, and can move across 3 lines - is someone who can be a huge asset.

IMO Finn is one of the most intriguing pieces of our rebuild.

We have promising youth across all 3 lines, but Finn has some high quality, unique attributes.

I really hope we can keep him around. A player who is an elite tagger, one of the best athletes in the AFL, and can move across 3 lines - is someone who can be a huge asset.
What are his unique attributes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finn is a sand wedge.

You always want him in your kit bag, but if you're relying on him on a regular basis, you're probably not going to top the leaderboard...

(Wow, metaphor or what???)

Great thread,

McGuiness was talked about last year and 2022 for shutting down players. I think the need is still there for taggers but seems like a coaching move not to bring him in. Could be that he's at BH learning how to be a more rounded player or another role..

I'm more concerned of Ward becoming another Josh Kennedy situation than finn

That's the thing about depth or developing mids .. if they're not getting seniors game time should they look for other options?

Interesting to see how the list will be managed. If bailey smith comes in, our depth mids would see that as writing on the wall.

What are his unique attributes?
Has an elite engine, good speed, tagging capacity and versatility, plus discipline/work ethic.

He has always been good on the inside, strong hands, strong over the ball and able to dish it off, he’s very Tom Green like in that he gets the ball and raises his arms and dishes it off.

Has been very good at VFL level and is just waiting for an opportunity as an inside mid, which I think he could make it as, with his versatility meaning he could rotate forward or back, and tag if needed.

He’s still developing. Last time he played he linked up nicely in quite a few passages of play. I feel like he’ll get another chance to cement a spot at some stage this season or next.

Will need to be irresistible at VFL to be ahead of H or Ward.

Fascinating conversation and so much better than easily listing half a dozen players we think are not up to it. It is going to be hard this year.

Morrison is interesting and could see him moving on. Ward and Fin are keepers for me and would require 1st round picks to prick our interest. Ward minimum top 10 or better and then only if we can use it for a specific player we want (trade or draft).

Fin is worth a pick inside 22 for us (ditto with ward re a targeted need), but I don't think another team would pay that. Keeper for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's The Plan For Finn Maginness?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back