What's The Plan For Finn Maginness?

Remove this Banner Ad

His value has dropped since being drafted, he is not netting a pick inside 30.
I think any side who has routinely been destroyed by Nick Daicos would happily pay pick 29 for Finn Maginness!

I think any side who has routinely been destroyed by Nick Daicos would happily pay pick 29 for Finn Maginness!
I doubt it, taggers who don't impact the game in other ways will always struggle to be locks in best 22. He has a niche role that he plays well, until he can find a way to be more impactful in other areas he is going to struggle.

Where is Finn Maginness at?
Can’t carry him in the side as a tagger because he doesn’t do enough the other way- it’s like playing one down in the midfield…

Nash can play the defensive mid role where he can do a job on a player but also contributes on offense.

Finn has to find a way to be a more attacking player and also clean up his kicking skills at AFL level but even then will need an injury or opportunity- at the moment there’s just no spot for him…

I dont want to tempt fate, but a couple of injuries to key midfielders will soon have people changing their mind.

His athletic traits are not given away easily after we have invested 5 years of development, upon selecting him at 29.

Finn Maginness

Games: 8
Average disposals:

“Finn’s had multiple roles and we’re just trying to settle him into one spot. We know he can tag and he can do that role at the drop of a hat. He can also play a little bit down back, a little bit on the wing and a little bit as inside mid. In the past few weeks, he’s played inside, which has seen him get plenty of the ball and use his running capacity as well. He’s just waiting for an opportunity, whether that be through injury or form and if he continues to stack it up. It's hard to leave these guys out week in, week out but it shows that we're building some good depth.”

I'm for keeping him, Hawthorn Nuffie and as stated above a string of injuries and he's in! Plus I have a lot of time for Zane Littlejohn, he is a terrific coach and bloke by all accounts. Plus Finn's getting midfield experience and he is an aerobic beast, you just never never know.

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Midfield​
Position​
Midfield, Forward​
Career Games​
40​
Oakleigh Chargers​
Origin​
Sandringham Dragons​
September 19, 2000​
Date of Birth​
February 23, 2001​
23yr 9mth​
Age​
23yr 4mth​
186cm​
Height​
189cm
82kg​
Weight​
88kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 2, Pick #25​
Last Draft Position​
Round 2, Pick #29​
Last Drafted By​
2024​
Stats for Season​
2024​
Games​
8​
Kicks​
7.4​
Handballs​
6.8​
Disposals​
14.1​
2.1​
Marks​
0.3​
Goals​
0.3​
Behinds​
Tackles​
1.5​
0​
Hitouts​
0​
Inside 50s​
1.8​
Goal Assists​
0.1​
Frees For​
0.1​
Frees Against​
0.5​
Contested Possessions​
4.5​
8.9​
Uncontested Possessions​
Effective Disposals​
9.8​
69.3%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
69.5%
Clangers​
2.1​
0.1​
Contested Marks​
0.1​
Marks Inside 50​
Clearances​
0.8​
Rebound 50s​
1.0​
One Percenters​
0.5​
Bounces​
0​
Time On Ground %​
76.8​
Centre Clearances​
0​
Stoppage Clearances​
0.8​
Score Involvements​
2.5​
Metres Gained​
177.5​
Turnovers​
3.0​
Intercepts​
1.4​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.4​

Not that much difference for someone considered to be a key piece in the swans midfield.. No better user of the ball and is getting rave reviews this week because of the side he plays in.

Finn is unlucky that Nash plays in the role that he wold be playing.

Can’t carry him in the side as a tagger because he doesn’t do enough the other way- it’s like playing one down in the midfield…

Nash can play the defensive mid role where he can do a job on a player but also contributes on offense.

Finn has to find a way to be a more attacking player and also clean up his kicking skills at AFL level but even then will need an injury or opportunity- at the moment there’s just no spot for him…
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Midfield​
Position​
Midfield, Forward​
Career Games​
40​
Oakleigh Chargers​
Origin​
Sandringham Dragons​
September 19, 2000​
Date of Birth​
February 23, 2001​
23yr 9mth​
Age​
23yr 4mth​
186cm​
Height​
189cm
82kg​
Weight​
88kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 2, Pick #25​
Last Draft Position​
Round 2, Pick #29​
Last Drafted By​
2024​
Stats for Season​
2024​
Games​
8​
Kicks​
7.4​
Handballs​
6.8​
Disposals​
14.1​
2.1​
Marks​
0.3​
Goals​
0.3​
Behinds​
Tackles​
1.5​
0​
Hitouts​
0​
Inside 50s​
1.8​
Goal Assists​
0.1​
Frees For​
0.1​
Frees Against​
0.5​
Contested Possessions​
4.5​
8.9​
Uncontested Possessions​
Effective Disposals​
9.8​
69.3%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
69.5%
Clangers​
2.1​
0.1​
Contested Marks​
0.1​
Marks Inside 50​
Clearances​
0.8​
Rebound 50s​
1.0​
One Percenters​
0.5​
Bounces​
0​
Time On Ground %​
76.8​
Centre Clearances​
0​
Stoppage Clearances​
0.8​
Score Involvements​
2.5​
Metres Gained​
177.5​
Turnovers​
3.0​
Intercepts​
1.4​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.4​

Not that much difference for someone considered to be a key piece in the swans midfield.. No better user of the ball and is getting rave reviews this week because of the side he plays in.

Finn is unlucky that Nash plays in the role that he wold be playing.
The differences are stark.

107 games in a perennially winning side -v- 40 games in a side which has been struggling for the past 5 seasons.

8.8 tackles to 1.5
5.0 clearances to 0.8

Doesn’t that alone show you how different Rowbottom is to Finn?

On completely different levels for obvious reasons.

Which club is selecting a primarily tagging midfielder?

No clubs uses pure taggers anymore - and we have argued his value on here for his entire career.

He's returned to playing regular VFL after 5 years in the system. He’d be worth a pick in the 40-60 range at best.
Good points.
I do wonder whether that trend will change. Only takes one team to figure it out and then they have an advantage while everybody scrambles to catch up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which club is selecting a primarily tagging midfielder?

No clubs uses pure taggers anymore - and we have argued his value on here for his entire career.

Explain what these blokes have been doing recently

Marcus Windhager
Alex Cincotta
Jarrod Berry
Tony Bedford
Will Phillips
Neale Bullen
James Rowbottom

The differences are stark.

If the roles were reversed, do you think Rowbottom would have played as many games at Hawthorn during that same period. Guaranteed not.

Explain what these blokes have been doing recently

Marcus Windhager
Alex Cincotta
Jarrod Berry
Tony Bedford
Will Phillips
Neale Bullen
James Rowbottom

If the roles were reversed, do you think Rowbottom would have played as many games at Hawthorn during that same period. Guaranteed not.
Berry, ANB and Rowbottom all offer something more offensively. Phillips is not close to a walk up starter.

There are very few permanent best 22 players that are pure taggers.

Berry, ANB and Rowbottom all offer something more offensively. Phillips is not close to a walk up starter.

There are very few permanent best 22 players that are pure taggers.
Yep - I’d also add that Cincotta is playing as a defensive forward. Bedford & Windhager are being used as run with mids a bit recently but both have had far greater offensive output.

I don’t really understand what you’re saying here, but if you’re asking what would have happened if Rowbottom was drafted by Hawthorn and Finn by Sydney…. I’d say Rowbottom would have played 120 games for Hawthorn as our 2nd/3rd best midfielder and Finn would’ve been cut by Sydney after 3 seasons.

I don’t really understand what you’re saying here, but if you’re asking what would have happened if Rowbottom was drafted by Hawthorn and Finn by Sydney…. I’d say Rowbottom would have played 120 games for Hawthorn as our 2nd/3rd best midfielder and Finn would’ve been cut by Sydney after 3 seasons.
Rubbish

I don’t get the dislike for Finn. When he is in the side, he does what is asked of him. Has gone back to Boxhill, hasn’t whinged or whined, has been trialed in different positions, and is currently getting positive feed back. Has been named emergency quite a few times, which suggests that his trajectory is upward, rather than downward.

It’s the same negativity that the usual suspects have sprouted on before about some of our players regarding Nash, Shoenmakers and Tom Murphy ect. It was baseless then, just like it’s baseless now. Which is more of a reflection on the people that only want to highlight what his supposed weakness are, while down playing his strengths.

Is Finn going to be an A+ player, the honest answer is probably not, he does how ever has the potential to be a solid B+ player in going forward. From most reports I have read, he has a tremendous work ethic, and an eagerness to learn. Them traits most clubs would love a player like that on their list. As he has a high ceiling to improve, and has the desire to be better.

I don’t get the dislike for Finn. When he is in the side, he does what is asked of him. Has gone back to Boxhill, hasn’t whinged or whined, has been trialed in different positions, and is currently getting positive feed back. Has been named emergency quite a few times, which suggests that his trajectory is upward, rather than downward.

It’s the same negativity that the usual suspects have sprouted on before about some of our players regarding Nash, Shoenmakers and Tom Murphy ect. It was baseless then, just like it’s baseless now. Which is more of a reflection on the people that only want to highlight what his supposed weakness are, while down playing his strengths.

Is Finn going to be an A+ player, the honest answer is probably not, he does how ever has the potential to be a solid B+ player in going forward. From most reports I have read, he has a tremendous work ethic, and an eagerness to learn. Them traits most clubs would love a player like that on their list. As he has a high ceiling to improve, and has the desire to be better.
I don't think anyone dislikes him, in fact i think most Hawk supporters have been so hopeful for him since coming to the club.

The people that 'dislike' him just think his negatives currently outweigh his positives and unless he can improve those things (he hasn't in 5 years) he will struggle to ever be a permanent member of our team. In terms of B+ player in the league who do you consider B+? Because personally i think that is a really good player, i think B+ players are walk up starters in every team in the league at a minimum.

No one questions his work ethic or his application, they just have doubts of his skills

I don't think anyone dislikes him, in fact i think most Hawk supporters have been so hopeful for him since coming to the club.

The people that 'dislike' him just think his negatives currently outweigh his positives and unless he can improve those things (he hasn't in 5 years) he will struggle to ever be a permanent member of our team. In terms of B+ player in the league who do you consider B+? Because personally i think that is a really good player, i think B+ players are walk up starters in every team in the league at a minimum.

No one questions his work ethic or his application, they just have doubts of his skills

I would say Sewell was a B+ player. Very dependable, workman like, had limited skills, but would work his butt off. Frost I would rate as a B+ player. Nash and Worpel, I tend to class them as B+ players, They don’t do anything flashy, but they provide stability, and most of their hard work usually goes unnoticed, I wouldn’t rate Finn as a B+ player currently, I do think that he does have that ability to be in the near future though.

Finn is still a work in progress. I'm pretty confident the finished product is going to be a handy clubman at worst.

It's easy to forget that as recently as last year James Worpel was either finished or too limited to be a regular in a good side according to posters on here. He was definitely 'not a good kick'.

There's still a chance Finn becomes the inside midfielder he was in his junior days, in the AFL. As Worpel's season so far proves, midfielders can improve dramatically at almost any age.

Imagine missing out on a Brad Sewell or James Worpel because you didn't give them time to mature and improve their kicking. Finn's approach to footy reminds me a lot of those two. He will be a beast if it all clicks for him.

Finn is solid inside at BH. He has great strength to get the ball out despite a tackle. I’d love to see him get a chance to become part of the centre bounce rotation at AFL level.

While he is not a highly skilled kick, I think he’s clearly working on identifying the right option within his limitations. Much like Frost has improved this year, I think Finn will get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back