What's Wrong With St.Kilda Tonight???

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Saints no heart or courage at all

Adelaide Hawk said:
Are you telling me Robert Harvey has no heart, spirit or courage? Because if you are, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.
Sorry there is an odd exception.

Saints may have talent, but you can have the 22 most talented players in the afl, and lose every game you play. You need to convert that talent into skill.

Johnson#26 said:
Saints, no Koschitzkie, no Hayes, no Thompson, no Raphael Clarke, no Blake, no Hamill, no Powell, effectively no Harvey and no Hudgton in the second half.

Injuries are us with Starsce down at Morabbin.

It's sad, because they did look the good early on. Tough going from here on.

But don't forget, Collingwood were 6-6 in 2003 after 12 weeks, and still finished up in 2nd spot after the H&A series.
adelaide no burton, no perrie, no bock, no welsh and no ben hart. stop making excuses for them. every side cops injuries.

Johnson#26 said:
Saints, no Koschitzkie, no Hayes, no Thompson, no Raphael Clarke, no Blake, no Hamill, no Powell, effectively no Harvey and no Hudgton in the second half.

Injuries are us with Starsce down at Morabbin.

It's sad, because they did look the good early on. Tough going from here on.

But don't forget, Collingwood were 6-6 in 2003 after 12 weeks, and still finished up in 2nd spot after the H&A series.

Sad, look good early on...We havn't looked good at any stage of this year, and if you count the pre-season we'd be 6wins 10 losses, as we lost all our pre season games.

ok.crows said:
I've given up worrying about the draw ... just take it as read it won't be favourable for Adelaide, and get on with it.

Last season ... round 22 in Perth against West Coast.

This season ... I think the AFL tried to make sure the Crows wouldn't be in the picture early.

Pity it didn't really work ... because now the Crows are 10-2 and they still have 7 games at AAMI to come in the last 10 rounds.

Having said that...how many times have we played in Perth in Rd 22. I can recall atleast 3 or 4 in recent memory.

the_messiah said:
The Saints, premiership "favourites" at the start of the year. Now after the midseason game, are highly likely to not be in the eight, making top 4 a dream.

They have no heart, spirit or courage (Exception Hayes). When someone needs to stand up and kick a goal, there is no one without Hayes. An example of this is in the second quarter, showing the difference between a 'great' and a 'good' player. Within a minute the saints had a scoring shot after trailing by 20 points at quarter time, but it was a point. Another minute later they had another, yet again missing. Another point was kicked before Adelaide kicked 3 goals in a row.
Instead of converting a 20 point loss to a 2 or 7 point loss, they trailed by 7 goals very soon.

The next example is of Fiora (who has played 3 games all under 9 possessions) Aaron Fiora's woeful attempt to mark in the dying stages of the third term, the former Tiger choosing not to be strong in a marking contest with two Crows rushing towards him. Whether or not the game is truly over, or not you'd expect a "premiership" contender to fight for the ball every minute of the game this was not evident...rarely for a minute of the game.

The heart, which is probably most lacking and dissapointing has been evident most games this season. They have lost 2 games under a goal this year (freo by a point & Port by 4 points). But more dissapointingly, the game that Harvey became the saints leading game player (324) the saints played a lackluster Geelong, which had not one since round 2 and was looking more and more dissapointing every week. The saints, unable to even look good that night lost to a Geelong that has only won 1 game since...against Essendon.

My 2 cents, possible reasons why the saints are out for 2006, and probably until the next generation comes around.
Your 2 cents? You did a pretty good job of plagiarizing the afl.com.au article!:confused:
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=274350

Crow-mo said:
that's because I suspect you're pretty young and don't know much about working in the real world.

players have no choice but to enter the draft if they want a career as an AFL footballer; the club that draft's them isn't doing for the players benefit. The draft him, and develop him, for their own needs and reasons - they're not doing him a favour.

If he wants to go home, like all employees the bloke should have the right to work where he wants.

I agree with some points you have brought up but seriously if we hadn't managed to get thompson in the deal with stenglein don't tell me you wouldn't have been slightly disappointed? Any person has a right to choose their own career paths but like any work companies, clubs suffer when a valuable asset chooses to leave. I guess we compensated for Stenglein's loss but not every club will always have good compensation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda's gameplan simply didn't work tonight.

It seemed St Kilda were under a directive to play on as often as possible. But this played right into Adelaide's hands. Whenever the Saints tried push the short handpasses they were marked within a metre. Even when they rarely worked their way through the trouble without turning it over for an Adel goal (which happened with monotonous regularity) it meant there was little to no chance of decent service to the forwards.

The only space they created was to the wings, and this only gave Adel's backline plenty of time to throttle any potential leads. By the end of the game their lack of fitness finished them off. The tired Saints fell so far off the pace that we were regularly seeing 2 and sometimes even 3-on-one contests in the Saints' forward line. Impossible odds against such an awesome back six.

What we saw tonight was the best team in football dispensing with a battered team that was undermanned and pretty desperate to get a week off.

TooFar said:
Your 2 cents? You did a pretty good job of plagiarizing the afl.com.au article!:confused:
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=274350

lol, are you a university lecturer? You have good eyes. Some blantant ripoffs albeit it was a small part of this post.

Whats wrong with St Kilda? Its obvious, too many injuries. Not enough depth to cover them.

I wouldn't write them off yet though, they lost many players last year and were in a similar position and still made a reasonable challenge for the premiership. They still have the talent to beat most teams in the competition, just not the class to challenge the top-tier with their injuries. Probably won't make top 4 now but they have a reasonable draw to the end of the season and should easily make the eight. With none of the pressure of being the saviour of victoria like last year, they'll be a definite dark horse and I'd hate to be the team that plays them in the first week of the finals.

Adelaide are making me wet my bed though o.o;;

ok.crows said:
What was that rubbish?

I don't think you did manage to hack my machine, as I run firefox under linux.

Warning about the above link to those Bigfooty people who run Windows, though. Don't go there is my advice.

eh? what link? the only link I saw in this thread was the afl site one.....and that seemed alright....

or has it been deleted already.... >,>

Kooley said:
fiora is a joke. he should be playing the game in a skirt.

Aaron Fiora may be soft and not willing to put his body on the line to win the hard ball at St Kilda and that part of his game could have been attributed to his time at Richmond but that has more to do with how Grant Thomas and Danny Frawley have coached him and obviously never installed those playing instincts into his game. I would be very surprised if he was taught to be a soft receiver type at the Port Adelaide Magpies.

If Aaron Fiora played for the Adelaide Crows under Neil Craig he would be hard as nail in his attack on the ball (same as Brent Reilly, Michael Doughty, Kriss Massie ect, ect) so the player is not the problem, it’s the coach.

crows98 said:
Aaron Fiora may be soft and not willing to put his body on the line to win the hard ball at St Kilda and that part of his game could have been attributed to his time at Richmond but that has more to do with how Grant Thomas and Danny Frawley have coached him and obviously never installed those playing instincts into his game. I would be very surprised if he was taught to be a soft receiver type at the Port Adelaide Magpies.

If Aaron Fiora played for the Adelaide Crows under Neil Craig he would be hard as nail in his attack on the ball (same as Brent Reilly, Michael Doughty, Kriss Massie ect, ect) so the player is not the problem, it’s the coach.

Fully agree with all that, and the proof is in players liek Newman, Raines, Chris Hyde, Pettifer and other Richmond players since TW came to Tigerland.

Frawley is a footballing disease, born to lose, and it seems Thomas aint any better.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's Wrong With St.Kilda Tonight???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back