When Evans rushed the behind that became a goal.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
what was the uproar from the Eagles players/coaches and their fans back then in 1996??

Although i remember the incident vaguely i was too young at the time (and Sydney was not privvy to any AFL news until later that year) to remember what the public and/or players said about the incident?

This is more or less coming back from the Dogs game on the weekend with all the complaining about the free kick that should've been with Koops.......

For those who don't know the incident, we were playing Carlton in 96 and Tony Evans rushed a behind (can't remember what stage of the game it was), only to see it given as a goal by the umpire. We lost the game by a couple of points.

Well there certainly was uproar in my house.

My memory is a bit clouded but from what I remember -

I *think* it was either the 2nd or the 3rd quarter. Rush of players to the Carlton goal mouth, Evans, Greg Wiliiams and others reach the ball - smacks off Evans shin (may have been his foot, either way it was a bit of a ricochet) - ball goes through the goals, crowd goes up, so does Greg Williams, he effectivly "claims" the goal - and there it is, all clear.

Went on the lose by a point.

I don't think the club made a hell of a lot of noise about it but the supporters were definately dirty on Greg Williams - well, more so than usual.

Ahh well, we won our next 11 straight, so that kinda made up for it at the time.

To make us all feel old - if I'm right, that would have been game #2 for Ben Cousins and Phil Matera who made their debut against Geelong the week before. :)

it was to the scoreboard end of the ground formerly known as Princess Park ... third quarter I think. In fact, do yourselves a favour and get a hold of that game, because IMO, it's in the Top 5 Eagle games ever. It took the best individual effort i've EVER seen by Kouta to beat us that day* ... 18 marks I think ... maybe a three point loss.

thegur

*Judd was on track to beat that in Brisbane last year until he took his foot off the pedal ... shame we had to beat them by so much :)

I can remember being as p***ed as a newt about it, I but don't recall an uproar in the media. In fact, a couple of years later that prick Williams was having a right old chuckle about it on one of those "Memorable Moments" segments during the footy.

For that matter, I don't recall reading in the media about Cupido's over-the-shoulder "tackle" on Cousins last year, which was a hell of a lot closer to goal if I recall correctly.

I remember the Saints game..

at Subi when Spider Everitt was playing for the Saints and he was awarded a goal which clearly missed by a metre. The camera picked up a grinning Spider after the shot. (The goal umpire in question did not umpire the next week!) To make matters worse, in the dying seconds of the game, in the forward pocket at the Subi end, the umpire awarded a free against McIntosh for holding the ball when in fact Ash had no hands on the ball - it was the St Kilda player holding it under Ash's body. The Saints goaled and won the game by a couple of points.

Originally posted by carneagles
For that matter, I don't recall reading in the media about Cupido's over-the-shoulder "tackle" on Cousins last year, which was a hell of a lot closer to goal if I recall correctly.

I wondered about that as well- from memory it was close, there were a few minutes left, Cousins was running the ball out of defence and got caught from behind by Cupido- the tackle was over his shoulder the entire time, and it was paid as holding the ball.

It was clearly high, (the next day, one of the papers ran a 'caught!' photo with Cupido's arm over Cousins' shoulder, not to make a point about it being high, but showing it just to sort of say 'yay, Cupido ran down Cousins to win the game for Essendon'..

Because noone kicked up a fuss around it, I was left wondering if it comes down to an interpretation of the rules- that in some way the fact that Cousins was holding the ball overruled the clear high tackle?

I would have thought it came down to what happened first. Cupido's tackle was always high - it was on top of the collarbone, there's no way his hand could have slipped up there in the course of the tackle - and the ball spilled free as Cousins swung back. So it should have been a high tackle free, that having happened first.

I can see how the Cupido free was missed, as the umpire would have been side-on to both players and on the opposite side to the tackle. That said, the umpire apparently didn't see the Koops jumper grip on Sunday and was quite happy to later say in the media that he got it wrong, after he had seen film from another angle. Which begs the question, doesn't it.

To answer your question - people see what they want to see, I guess.

The one I've never forgotten was in 1991, against Carlton again.

We lost by three points in the end, and had TWO goals ripped off by crappy umpiring decisions!

The first was kicked through along the ground and called touched. On the replay it was clear that not only did nobody touch it, nobody was even close enough to be able to!

The second was a goal that was called a behind, but the replay clearly showed it went through.

That loss was our first for the season, bringing our 12-game winning streak to an end.

But I tihnk you need to distinguish between a clearly incorrect goal umpiring decision like those above, and a possibly incorrect field umpire decision (or non-decision) like the Cousins and MacIntosh ones, or the one from the weekend. When the goal umpire gets it wrong, I think you have more right to feel a bit ripped off. When it's on the field it's less clear-cut - who knows what would have happened next? Cousins might have missed the shot on goal, MacIntosh might have cleared it out straight to a Saints player who goaled anyway...

Originally posted by Black Thunder
what was the uproar from the Eagles players/coaches and their fans back then in 1996??

Well to put it in perspective, before then I thought Greg Williams was scum. I now think he is the ultimate-son-of-the-devil-evil-scum-from-hell.

(well that and the way he won the Brownlow in a year he was quite clearly punching Turley in the guts in one game and Turley got suspended for hitting him back)

That decision cost us that game, we ended up finishing behind the Bears in fourth at the end of the year as a consequence, and thus ended up having our home final ripped off us.

Don't recall that Greg Williams incident, so can't comment on it. I remember that St. Kilda game though. There was a fair bit of comment on it in the local Perth news, such a shocking call that it was (clearly was a point). I still have that Essendon game from last year on tape, so I remember that one. My initial reaction to that incident though was that it was holding the ball. I would have called that before I noticed it was a high tackle too. The ump was swayed by the feral crowd as well. Cupido just came from nowhere though. The only good point coming from that was that my aunt won a car in a competition for correctly guessing the winning margin (22 points) from that game...Cupido's resultant goal sealed it.

Wirra was definately ******ing Koops though and I immediately knew it was a free. The Dogs were very hard done by the umps on the weekend I thought...we got away with murder. However, much to my surprise the Dogs actually won the free kick count quite considerably: 18-10 in the end. I thought we would have come out better in that column.

Can no-one else please mention the goal umpiring decision, you can't blame that for us losing because the club wrote the goal umpire a letter saying it was not his fault they lost, it was the teams, so can it not be mentioned as it was someone close to me and brings back bad memories.

IF THERE WAS ONE PLAYER WHO COULD SUCK UP TO THE UMPIRES IT WAS DIESEL.

HE EVEN ADMITS EVANS SHINNED IT THROUGH.

HE HIMSELF KNOWS THAT HE DID NOT KICK IT BUT THE SCORE STILL STOOD.

THE EAGLES WON THE NEXT 11 STRAIGHT AFTER THIS I RECALL?

I was at the Carlton game in 96 and we weren't too happy about it. It was the 4th game in a row we'd lost and the sense of unfairness was palpable.

At the after match function, we gave the players a standing ovation when they came in because they had played so well and got so close (remember Carlton had lost only 2 games en route to the Premiership the previous year).

Next week we played Melbourne at the same venue and won by 106 points (ish) with David Wirrpunda being a very young debutant. We won about 11 straight thereafter until (I think it was) we lost at the Gabba.

Perhaps if we'd fallen over the line against Carlton, we wouldn't have won 11 straight.

While it always evens out over the long haul, not with Carlton it doesn't. The 1991 away game was one of the clearest examples of umpires cheating I have seen in top level sport. The goal umpire that day was Lord Lucan.

In 1994, Tony Evans was asked at the after-match why he had been in the hands of the trainers after Greg Williams was seen leaving the scene. He replied "I lost my breath and fainted". Williams always was a cheating bastard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that game very clearly. Kouta marked everything around him, and Williams claimed the goal by throwing his arms up in the air when it was clear that Evans had soccered it through. The Carlton game that sticks out in my head was the game where Chris Mainwaring had a kick after the siren to win the game, at the 3 tier stand end. He hit the top of the goal post and we lost by less than a goal.

It also meant we finished 1 position lower than we should have (we beat Carlton at home easily inthe 1st final).

That meant that the "home" Elimination semi final v Essendon was played at the MCG due to the AFL contract stipulating at least 1 finals game per round was played there.

It also meant we finished 1 position lower than we should have (we beat Carlton at home easily inthe 1st final).

That meant that the "home" Elimination semi final v Essendon was played at the MCG due to the AFL contract stipulating at least 1 finals game per round was played there.

whatyearisit-cardiac.gif

Well to put it in perspective, before then I thought Greg Williams was scum. I now think he is the ultimate-son-of-the-devil-evil-scum-from-hell.

(well that and the way he won the Brownlow in a year he was quite clearly punching Turley in the guts in one game and Turley got suspended for hitting him back)

That decision cost us that game, we ended up finishing behind the Bears in fourth at the end of the year as a consequence, and thus ended up having our home final ripped off us.
Must be a different game or the same game with my version of events.

Turley punched Williams and was up at the review. His defence was, "what would you do if someone grabbed onto your nuts?"

He got off.

Although i remember the incident vaguely i was too young at the time (and Sydney was not privvy to any AFL news until later that year) to remember what the public and/or players said about the incident?

This is more or less coming back from the Dogs game on the weekend with all the complaining about the free kick that should've been with Koops.......

For those who don't know the incident, we were playing Carlton in 96 and Tony Evans rushed a behind (can't remember what stage of the game it was), only to see it given as a goal by the umpire. We lost the game by a couple of points.
I thaught it was Guy Mckenna? And that slimy Diesel claimed it was off his boot. Was a long time ago though and i have had plenty of beers since then so my memory may be a little off. Was our 3rd or 4th loss to start the season then we went on a roll and won heaps in a row just to fall short of a top 4? Finish. Something like that, im just going off memory. Cant be bothered looking it up.

Last edited:
Well there certainly was uproar in my house.

My memory is a bit clouded but from what I remember -

I think it was either the 2nd or the 3rd quarter. Rush of players to the Carlton goal mouth, Evans, Greg Wiliiams and others reach the ball - smacks off Evans shin (may have been his foot, either way it was a bit of a ricochet) - ball goes through the goals, crowd goes up, so does Greg Williams, he effectivly "claims" the goal - and there it is, all clear.

Went on the lose by a point.

I don't think the club made a hell of a lot of noise about it but the supporters were definately dirty on Greg Williams - well, more so than usual.

Ahh well, we won our next 11 straight, so that kinda made up for it at the time.

To make us all feel old - if I'm right, that would have been game #2 for Ben Cousins and Phil Matera who made their debut against Geelong the week before. :)
I have hated Carlton ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back