When the final siren went last night I...

Remove this Banner Ad

At half time I knew we were going to lose but, like the idiot I am actually thought we would come back and win, when Lindsay got that goal I was over the moon. So disappointing really, but that sums up our season so much potential and you think "just maybe" then bang, it's all over. Watching the siren sound though and seeing those Carlton flogs celebrate was heartbreaking I didn't really think, say or feel much. After quarter time my confidence was zero anyway and I knew we were no hope, we haven't lost a first quarter then gone on to win the game in a long time...

i sat level 3, just behind the north goals. Me and my mate we where surrounded by heaps of North Melbourne fans. When we started to peg back the margin in the final quarter i heard a little girl ask her father

"Dad, are we going to win?" to which her father replied "No... just watch the game"

Where's the faith? i know we're all sick of these losses, and its just become a consistent thing for us, but most of the fans we sat near all rallied and cheered on the boys.

After the siren i sat there with a mate, for a good 10-15 mins just in silence, few other fans sat there too speechless.

Changed the channel to see that shot from Rogers.

I did the same unfortunately lol. I was desperately looking for some relief from somewhere, and I thought what better than to see a relaxed, Lehmann-coached cricket side finally start to get their batting together and put together a decent total at a ground we've always loved.

And then that Hughes thing happened. But I got over it and watched a bit more, Smith and Clarke in.. And I thought 'Maybe a chance', and then went to bed. Turned the radio on like 15-20 minutes later.. And Haddin and Agars suddenly were in, scrambling for a run, and Agars got out. F***********************.

So then it rained, and I looked on the window and it was a race between two raindrops down the window. So I chose one, and backed it in. It lost, it didn't even move. Fair dinkum witches' hat of a raindrop - useless. I went to sleep with a scrambled, squirming frustrated mind.

Most teams have a large of portion of intelligent supporters. Based on my experience (so excluding interstate) I have met plenty of friendly/intelligent Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong supporters ect. I am yet to come across that with Carlton, Essendon supporters.

Not sure about the large part.

I know plenty of decent Essendon and Carlton fans.

Had some flog wave a flag in my face outside the ground. Would have been 30 or so (about 15 years too old for flag waving).

Oh and to those fans that give up reserved seats for opposition fans, GAGF.

After the Richmond game, stood up to sing the song with a pal, had 3 Richmond supporters who where fuming about the end result shove us out the way to get to the exit.

Didn't say "excuse me, or sorry" just shoved us out the way and stormed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicked a chair into the computer desk and got a mouthful off my lovely wife for being a child! I could have thrown that chair through the tv. I'm looking forward to the summer and no footy.
Cheers all.

Kinda the same thing to me, got home angry, old man told me not to be so childish and to toughen up.

Hope its a long summer (a bearable one)

Sat through all the cricket just to prove to myself that things can get worse. Then I went to work and discovered things hadn't really improved with a new day. Apologies to my wife and aged German short haired pointer who didn't like the yelling and bad language either.

...actually surprised myself and did not show any outward emotion. I stayed slumped in my seat until well after the players had walked up the race and then calmly grabbed my belongings (two kids and a duffle bag) and walked in silence hand in hand onto the rain soaked streets of Melbourne. I flicked the cricket on when I got home, then flicked it off when I saw the score and then went to bed in what would have to be the earliest time I have done so on a Friday for a long, long time. I slept well too (half a bottle of port just before bed will tend to induce a deep sleep I have found.

What did you do when the siren went?
I did everything you mentioned...except I forgot my kids.

After the final siren i was disappointed in the result but proud of the fightback.
i didn't get emotional or angry, i suppose i've become desensitized to close losses after the season we have had.
I just had another beer and watched a movie before bed. Slept pretty well as well.

I calmly stood, wished those around me well and walked across the road back home.
When I got there I had a scotch on the rocks before heading to bed and having angry sex.
Sadly, I was alone :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

When the final siren went last night I...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back