When was the last time a headlock was punished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Row_z

Debutant
Aug 27, 2004
Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles
Just wondering if anyone knows when the last time a player was reported and then suspeded on the rough play charge for putting a player in a headlock. I've been following this game for a while and cant recall it ever actually happening? Anyone know?

are you telling me that in over 100 years of football a player has never put another player in a headlock?

seems hard to believe

eddiesmith said:
No, it has happened often and needs to be punished and the report of Brown was a good way to start but they screwed up. One player died on the ground and had to be revived after getting put in a headlock, eagles player i believe

yes, peter sumich was choked to death my danny southern at the bottom of a malee. It was not a headlock though, it was choking with the hand.

My point is that people have been put in headlocks countless times and never been punished, and suddenly everyone is up in arms about a brisbane player not getting punished. Everyone is saying he should have got two weeks, but in reality its gone on for years and no one has ever even been warned against it.

Anyway, we have a wrestling charge, a striking charge a charging charge and many others, do we really need a vauguely defined "rough play" charge? Surely we want our footy to be rough?Surely if "rough play" were truly made illegal, essendon would have a new team out there every week.

But the AFL love Essendon and refuse to report their players.

But the Brown one was vicious and really looked nasty and should have been atleast tried at the tribunal. The AFL tribunal says it doesnt matter when the game is whether its a GF or not, a reportable offence is a reportable offence. They used that to shoot down Collingwoods defence two years running.

Whats this rubbish about rubbing him out from the GF? They aint there yet and if the weather stays foul then they wont make it with or without Brown

eddiesmith said:
But the AFL love Essendon and refuse to report their players.

Not true, they absolutely and unbelieveably unfairly crucify Dustin Fletcher when he goes up, even to the extent they actually invent rules to suspend him.

It's just a conspiracy I tells ya.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eddiesmith said:
Fletcher is a **************** and goes completely stupid when getting reported. Name one rule they invented?

I was extracting the urine.

eddiesmith said:
Dont deny he aint stupid. The things he does defies explanation as we apparently cant call him dirty as he isnt according to the media. Everything the media writes must be taken as gospel especially Sheehan

How he ever got done in the Freo final last year still baffles me. What did he do? Compared to Lynch's 'strike' to Wakelin or Farmer's 'knee' (as seen on the Footy Show). Its just a media beat up to get someone done - and stories sell papers, attract viewers, etc. Same with Jon Brown - its been pumped up to the point of boredom! Its ********ing netball.

Row_z said:

This year. Nick Holland got fined for putting Mark Johnson in a headlock. And with Browns history at the tribunal the sentence (if found guilty) could have been a suspension.

AFL owe a duty of care as an employer (or at least promoter) to do what they can to avoid undue serious injury - it is just a matter of time.

They need to put this one into 'statute' for next season - a report and a 50m, whether the ball is in play or not.

eddiesmith said:

They aint there yet and if the weather stays foul then they wont make it with or without Brown

Entirely agree. Who could forget the drubbing Brisbane received from that great Collingwood team at the MCG this year. Awesome performance by the Pies.

I shudder to think what will occur if the thrashing they received from Hawthorn, at the same venue this year is repeated.

monoccular said:
AFL owe a duty of care as an employer (or at least promoter) to do what they can to avoid undue serious injury - it is just a matter of time.

They need to put this one into 'statute' for next season - a report and a 50m, whether the ball is in play or not.

The same AFl that has a duty of care, sent out innocent children during an electrical storm on Saturday night, and had them carry off the goal posts.

yep I trust this same AFL to do whats right in the future...........

Blake had his hands up in the air and the umpire was repeatedly telling Brown to let go of him. Any 'normal' human being would have let go but Brown tried to finish him off by dropping him onto his head. Absolute thuggery and should have had the book thrown at him.

bull********. he didn;t drop him onto his head. he bent him over, his head was never in any danger of hitting the ground. I've seen much more dangerous acts by players "trying to spoil the ball" after a player has taken a mark, followed by dermie chuckling "he he, good to see he made him earn it"

From memory Plugger squeezed Kristian Bardlsey until he nearly blacked out one day, and got away without ever being charged.

Can any Saint fan remember what happened that time, my memory's rusty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back