When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood finished 4th and 8th before this season. Is McRae taking over a finals caliber team?

It's a revisionist history call on your behalf, Fremantle had made finals once in god knows how long and you're pretending like Ross was gifted a finals hardened side. It's just not true.

Hardly, Collingwood are over-the-hill and about to commence a rebuild, Fremantle had spent a few years down the bottom, added some quality young players to add to some existing guns and their premiership window was just about to open.

Completely different timelines.

Hardly, Collingwood are over-the-hill and about to commence a rebuild, Fremantle had spent a few years down the bottom, added some quality young players to add to some existing guns and their premiership window was just about to open.

Completely different timelines.

So why would Fremantle sack their coach if they were building to something special and just entering their window? Could it have been Ross that took them to the next level and then some?

Any similarities with Fremantle 2008-2010 to Carlton 2019-2021?

So why would Fremantle sack their coach if they were building to something special and just entering their window? Could it have been Ross that took them to the next level and then some?

Any similarities with Fremantle 2008-2010 to Carlton 2019-2021?

Clearly didn’t think Mark Harvey was the man to take them to a premiership and wanted to back in a coach who’d managed to get a team into a grand final.

Might have got them to the next level, but nothing more. History is littered with losing grand final coaches - Ross isn’t Robinson Crusoe.

Clearly didn’t think Mark Harvey was the man to take them to a premiership and wanted to back in a coach who’d managed to get a team into a grand final.

Where do you reckon Carlton is at right now? I'm not saying we are a 'finals hardened' side, but we are far closer to Fremantle than certainly Hawthorn and probably Richmond. Nothing is linear and exact when it comes to comparing teams, but I'd rather back a bloke in who's got a record of making close but under-performing sides far better than try to pull of a miracle and appoint someone who would have to try and emulate two of the greatest coaches of the modern era who were unproven at the time of their appointments.

Might have got them to the next level, but nothing more. History is littered with losing grand final coaches - Ross isn’t Robinson Crusoe.

How many coaches have coached a total of 4 GFs at two different clubs? Common denominator?

Last edited:
We'll arrive when we start developing our players at AFL median standard. If there was a tier list for player development we'd be bottom. Looking forward to West Coast turning SPS into what he should have always been. Can't seem to get around the rumored Voss appointment, nothing substantial points to him being an improved coach.

I think we've got the key pieces but it's definitely the rest and how we play as a unit of 18 on the field rather than being reliant on the efforts of 4-5 players every game E.g - Team defence which everyone can see.

I think SOS comment on our youth being played in their natural position for a few games and then being dropped as soon as they play a bad one was telling and can be applied to a lot of our recent talented youth - Setterfield has had some good games in previous years but was shifted to a wing which everyone can see he isn't then had a rough run with injury this year. Dow goes into the middle and does some nice things finally but still has a lot of deficiencies. LOB was a revelation late in the season and with a proper defensive wing he can make an impact with his running power and delivery.
There is a lot to work with for our group but we need the right guy who can implement a proper team defence and higher standards and accountability. I was hopeful we'd get Ross for this, but if Voss does come in he needs a lot of strong, good assistants.

Z Williams needs a rocket, his professionalism leaves a lot to be desired.
Mcgovern also.
Saad is fine.

I hope we pick up Cerra in the off-season. He'd be a wonderful addition and we definitely couldn't draft anyone and develop them to be any better either with pick 6 or the potential splitting of it.

Voss will be an absolute disaster

Carlton have arrived, we are deadset below mediocre, the old Carlton is gone and it’s never coming back.

I'm sitting on the fence with Voss at the moment.
He'll be better than he was in Brisbane, but I feel like there are better candidates out there.
I get the Carlton Respects program, but for me Lyon would be perfect for us. Even Pyke.

I'm sitting on the fence with Voss at the moment.
He'll be better than he was in Brisbane, but I feel like there are better candidates out there.
I get the Carlton Respects program, but for me Lyon would be perfect for us. Even Pyke.

I dont understand the sudden love for Lyon and Pyke.

Lyon turned Fremantle into Old lists and defensive sides and it is taking years for those two sides to even start making finals.

Pyke is only 2 years out of Adelaide and the mess it was left in. He might get another chance but I would like to see another year or two to really allow him to re do his style.

Voss was green at Brisbane but showed enough with no experience to get another chance, I think there is no middle road with his results here, but I think he will do well at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand the sudden love for Lyon and Pyke.

Lyon turned Fremantle into Old lists and defensive sides and it is taking years for those two sides to even start making finals.

every team that contends eventually gets to the point where the list is cooked and they need to rebuild.

Coaches thinking they don't need to rebuild are the ones who are the real danger. See Geelong, Hawthorn. Teams that tasted the glory of a premiership but instead of resetting when their list got old they have tried to double down and dug a deeper hole for themselves.

If you are contending and you don't run your list into the ground then you aren't doing it right.

Carlton will be picking first in either the 2023 or 2024 draft. If they can bottom out correctly under Voss then get his successor right, then most of their current top-end talent will still be in their prime ages when they contend in 2027/8. A bit like the Western Bulldogs winning the wooden spoon in 2003 with a number of senior players who were still on the list for their prelim finals in 2008-10.

Pathetic appointment. What a joke of a football club to appoint someone who has a worse win loss record than the outgoing coach. Ross Lyon needed to be appointed but instead the club is to busy worried about wearing orange socks instead of focusing on winning football games

Last edited:
Pathetic appointment. What a joke of a football club to appoint someone who has a worse win loss record than the outgoing coach. Ross Lyon needed to be appointed but instead the club is to busy worried about wearing orange socks instead of focusing on winning football games

Why didn't your club enquire about Clarkson?

Don't understand the mentality of the AFL supporter group. Voss gets another chance and no doubt he will be a lot better this time around. He has matured, learnt his craft as an assistant. Yeah ok they fluffed the "process" so to speak but all in all Voss deserves another chance. Recycling coaches in the AFL should stop being such a taboo subject imio.

Remove this Banner Ad

When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back