When will the melbourne FC be Dissolved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seethus

Premiership Player
May 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
They may have been the very first. They may be named 'Melbourne', but we all know the only reason this club doesnt seem to have a serious cloud over its head is Because they are the "Melbourne" Demons.

This is not a jab at the player group, lets get that straight off the bat.
I am talking about the club itself, its health, its supporter base, its crowd turnout, its potential for future development.

Over the past few months we have seen this uncaring fan base of melbourne's, so often stereotyped as a bunch of yuppies lost in the snowfields while they leave their member seats empty, but it seems the stereotype, at least the uncaring part, is true.

All I am asking for is an open dialogue, with all supporters, leaving biase out of it. Is Melbourne a hinderance on the competition, and are they are viable club in the future or are they a club that needs to be merged or dissolved?

This is my personal opinion;
Melbourne no longer is necessary in the competition, they do not represent a demographic relevant to a suburb, or can be identified as "Melbourne's" team and will never have the ability to forge itself as a premiership club again.
They should be dissolved, a 16th team should be made either in the gold coast, or in a place viable for growth in New south wales.

I will probably get a huge torrent of angry melbourne supporters, but my aim was not to personally attack them. Just to ask the question,
is the Melbourne FC necessary? I dont think so.

16 teams is necessary. Melbourne are having a bad year and they cant afford to because everyone jumps on their back and says 'no supporters, no money, no form' Roo and Dog supporters would sympathise. Melbourne won't be dissolved however relocation is a possibility

you can't have AFL without a team called melbourne.
There are 8 teams in Victoria, most of them represent a part of Melbourne, what part do the demons represent?
Look at the F.A club for example. There is no London, because there are many London teams, there is no need for a London team.
This is a logical reasoning, and one I think we should adopt.
the 'you need a team called melbourne mantra' cant be adopted in this case.

Sheeds will get us back on track.

Do you know how many fit players we have to choose from this week? On our entire list? 27.

Injuries have ruined our season and so keyboard heros like yourself can lay into us but in 2004 we had the second biggest attendances of a Melb side, we have a record membership which is not far behind yours.

This thread is shit.

Melbourne are a disgraceful joke.

That was proven with the turnout for Neita's 300th.

Relocate the Demons.

16 teams is necessary. Melbourne are having a bad year and they cant afford to because everyone jumps on their back and says 'no supporters, no money, no form' Roo and Dog supporters would sympathise. Melbourne won't be dissolved however relocation is a possibility
that may be a possibility, and please Im not specifically talking about on field performance. 16 teams is necessary yes, but as I previously stated, that can be set up like the brisbane bears was, in a matter of months.
The dogs and roos represent the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne, The demons represent noone in particular.
And no a name change isnt what Im asking for :rolleyes:

you can't have AFL without a team called melbourne.

Yes you can. Do we have a team called Perth, playing out of WA?

Anyhow, the longer that Melbourne & Footscray flounder, the less pressure there is on my club. Makes it a bit easier to dig in the heels with the AFL & point fingers elsewhere.

Not as though I'm wishing any ill fortune on supporters of these clubs - but when the future of one's club is under question, all is fair in love & war.

Do you know how many fit players we have to choose from this week? On our entire list? 27.

Injuries have ruined our season and so keyboard heros like yourself can lay into us but in 2004 we had the second biggest attendances of a Melb side, we have a record membership which is not far behind yours.

This thread is shit.
haha, keyboard heros. Im actually a paying member of an AFL club, are you? My opinion matters mate. accept it :thumbsu::)
Your attempt to derail a legitemate, non personal topic has failed.

haha, keyboard heros. Im actually a paying member of an AFL club, are you? My opinion matters mate. accept it :thumbsu::)
Your attempt to derail a legitemate, non personal topic has failed.
I am a paying member of the MFC and the MCC. I also don't think you read my post. If our clubs ladder positions were switched I could make this thread about Geelong.

I am a paying member of the MFC and the MCC. I also don't think you read my post. If our clubs ladder positions were switched I could make this thread about Geelong.
yes you could. But its not?? I dont get your point :confused:
Im talking about the club, not the players. I CLEARLY stated that in my opening post. whos not reading posts now?
Also, MCC is not MFC, and membership is only half the picture, its turning up to the gate, to actually support your AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL TEAM. Obviously you do, but alot dont, and it shows Melbourne dont represent a big enough slice of Melbourne to matter to the average Joe.

yes you could. But its not?? I dont get your point :confused:
Would you be making this thread if we were Top 4 and our injury list wasn't completely ridiculous but other things were held in place? No. You are a gutless keyboard hero kicking my club while it's down. My club will never die, sorry to let you down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they're going nowhere but i completely agree that they are no longer necessary or viable in any way to the AFL competition.

I love this "representation" argument, if everyone represented their so called areas as you say everyone would still play at their local ground with zoning areas for players and such...

Would you be making this thread if we were Top 4 and our injury list wasn't completely ridiculous but other things were held in place? No. You are a gutless keyboard hero kicking my club while it's down. My club will never die, sorry to let you down.
Yes because I clearly have a personal vendetta against your club :rolleyes:
this has nothing to do with on field performance, this is the ...3rd time Ive said that.
It has alot to do with crowd turnout. Look at Richmond, they have been smashed by huge margins, yet their supporters turn out in droves. Where are the Melbourne supporters? They dont feel represented enough as an identity to feel the need to support their team through thick and thin.
And that is why I am calling for justification that we keep melbourne in the competition when other places such as the Gold coast are ready and willing to become a true 16th team that represents a place, a group of people we can point to and they can be proud where their team represent.

I love this "representation" argument, if everyone represented their so called areas as you say everyone would still play at their local ground with zoning areas for players and such...
Are we talking about rules for drafting? of course we arent.
But then again bringing up irrelevant points is good at derailing a thread... :D

Yes because I clearly have a personal vendetta against your club :rolleyes:
this has nothing to do with on field performance, this is the ...3rd time Ive said that.
It has alot to do with crowd turnout. Look at Richmond, they have been smashed by huge margins, yet their supporters turn out in droves. Where are the Melbourne supporters? They dont feel represented enough as an identity to feel the need to support their team through thick and thin.
And that is why I am calling for justification that we keep melbourne in the competition when other places such as the Gold coast are ready and willing to become a true 16th team that represents a place, a group of people we can point to and they can be proud where their team represent.
Okay, purely statistics then, check out our attendences 2004-2006 and compare them to 2007. If we have a bad year we have poor attendences and vice versa. The AFL is not going to act on a whim like you are suggesting. Get it?

I.e. Hey, MFC attendences are way down this year, let's relocate them!

Okay, purely statistics then, check out our attendences 2004-2006 and compare them to 2007. If we have a bad year we have poor attendences and vice versa. The AFL is not going to act on a whim like you are suggesting. Get it?

I.e. Hey, MFC attendences are way down this year, let's relocate them!
Oh and wouldnt Richmond use that excuse, they are considered a worse team than you are. Your president had to try to give away free money to go to the game, but it still didnt work. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Are we talking about rules for drafting? of course we arent.
But then again bringing up irrelevant points is good at derailing a thread... :D

Ok then please elaborate more specifically for me who each victorian club 'represents' as you say?

Diabolical thread.

Amazing how enlightened one gets when one's club sits three games ahead on top of the ladder one round before finals.

It's so much easier to deconstruct a club than build one up...

Uncharitable, mean-spirited thread of the year.

Diabolical thread.

Amazing how enlightened one gets when one's club sits three games ahead on top of the ladder one round before finals.

It's so much easier to deconstruct a club than build one up...

Uncharitable, mean-spirited thread of the year.
Nice personal attack. too bad it has nothing to do with anything Ive said.
the fact that Im a Geelong supporter has nothing to do with anything, and does not detract from the legitimacy of my points. But the fact that you took my words out of context would lead me to believe that you dont fully understand the point.

This thread is shit.

Crows and West Coast have had shocking injury runs as well.

Nice personal attack. too bad it has nothing to do with anything Ive said.
the fact that Im a Geelong supporter has nothing to do with anything, and does not detract from the legitimacy of my points. But the fact that you took my words out of context would lead me to believe that you dont fully understand the point.
You are the worst troll in the history of BigFooty. And this has nothing to do with me being a MFC supporter. You are not trying to gain anything from this discussion, your posts seem illogical, you are trolling and badly at that.

Bay 13.

Ok then please elaborate more specifically for me who each victorian club 'represents' as you say?
The supporter base is represented by a team that is clearly identified as one for their demographic, not by the players, but what it stands for.
I dont know what Melbourne stands for. Do you? its kind of hard when there are 6 other teams that represent a part of it as well.:thumbsu:

You are the worst troll in the history of BigFooty. And this has nothing to do with me being a MFC supporter. You are not trying to gain anything from this discussion, your posts seem illogical, you are trolling and badly at that.

Bay 13.
How is it illogical, I could hardly get you to be non-biased in your approach could I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back