Where can we improve in 2001?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anton Grbac

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2001
Well? I'm thinking the ruck. Barnsey's been fantastic, but won't go forever and Alessio, while handy, lacks consistency and hasn't really developed into the player we thought he would (circa 1995).Needs a big season. Hille may still be a little raw, so that leaves Robran or Lalich (remember him?) as the only alternatives. I thought Robran did o.k. in his few opportunities last year. Maybe another mid-fielder/ruck roving type? (Jacobs?). Other than that,the defence looks settled (although Henneman should get more opportunities) and the forwards pick themselves (barring injuries of course). Rioli (if fit) will cover Boris's retirement more than adequately and McVeigh might be ready to step up.
Whatta ya's reckon?

where's wally?

I reckon the ruck as well. Seems like it has been a weak spot a couple years on.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. My biggest concern would be that the team is hungry. 1986 and 1994 were disasters.

wal, I seriously hope Lalich does not become our ruckman, as from what I have seen of him we could be serious trouble if that happens.

The ruck is always mentioned as one of our weaknesses, but to be honest I think our on ballers make up for it.

Think about the GF. Dont recall Barnesy winning a single centre bounce (maybe 1), but that doesnt prevent us gettin the ball. Boundary tap outs were often taken by guys like Blumfeild, who while not overly tall, had a superb vertical leap- I think maybe thats a good thing as it keeps more pace on the ground.

I know Arch, i haven't got a very high opinion of Lalich either. But he's the only other real 'tall' on the list with (limited)senior experience. Dunno much about Hille, maybe he'll get a run in the Ansett Cup? What about Alessio? what are we gunna do with him? Gee, he's been a disappointment. He really needs a big year. Hopefully he can put it together,though i wouldn't hold my breath 'cause we've been saying that for 5/6 years now. On Blumfield yeah, didn't he have a blinder in the GF? My choice for the 'Norm' after Hirdy.

where's wally?

Ive always thought cess was better when put up forward as a marking target against smaller backlines. Maybe he realises that we could do without him though, as the forward line as already potent as it is, and put in a good pre-season and maybe improve his ruck work, which has never been his strongest asset.

Either way- Im just stoked that we no longer have Peter Somerville
wink.gif

If Sheedy thought O'Connor was a ruckman, hey why not Lalich?

Keep an eye on Hille this year, he is going to be a gun.

-------------
www.bomberblitz.com

Essendon Coverage - "by the fans, for the fans"

[This message has been edited by Max Power (edited 27 January 2001).]

I think this discussion is a little complacent in terms of improving the team. To me the midfield could use a deal of improvement. It's been helped by both the backline playing fantastically and winning alot of ball and the fact that once the ball goes into our foward line it usually hangs around. I don't think that the Essendon midfield is in the same ball winning class as say Carlton or WBs. Its very slick at moving the ball quickly however.

Our current starting line-up goes something like

Rama Misiti Hefernan, Barnes,Blumfield, J Johnson

There's natural improvement in Rama and also in Hefernan in my opinion (whose defensive work is fantastic already). Joe's a very good player but only really has downside from now.
Undoubtedly blumfield has just got better, as well as his marks he's got great hands and may continue to develop in that department. Maybe turning into a ratten type as his career develops. JJs been great but plays 1/2 a game.

To improve things I really can only think of three possibilities.
1. Move Mark Johnson into the midfield I think his drive would be fantastic from up the field and at centre bounces. Maybe Jacobs could start his sensior career down back.
2. Rioli may have a future as a centreman, Sheedy has hinted as much.
3. Can Corey McGrath become a good rover type for us? I haven't really seen him in action but I've heard good things about him.

What do you all think?

I guess after last years performance its easy to slip into being "complacent". I think Carltons midfield is good, as you say, but to say that ours is not in the same "ball winnning class" is wrong IMHO, as our midfeild towelled them up twice last year, with maybe round 20 not being such a dominant effort, but no way were we beaten in that dept.Misiti is often underrated by most I think, which is probably why so many good teams got torched by him, and I dont think he is on a downward slide as you suggest. He has as much ball winning ability as anyone in the AFL. And dont forget, our midfield often has the class of one J.Hird chipping in- now that is ball winning presence.

As for McGrath, I havent seen much of him, apart from what I saw in 2000's ansett cup, and that was most impressive. Excellent speed,evasiveness and ball skills I think he'd be more suited to playing along a wing, but maybe someone whos seen him play more at training etc would answer that better. Either way, Im looking forward to seeing more of Corey this season.

------------------
BOMBERS 2001- THE HUNTERS. NOT THE HUNTED.

Hi pjc,
Wasn't trying to come across as 'complacent'.
Any supporter with half a brain knows how quickly things can change ie: injuries, suspensions and whatnot. Perhaps i should've mentioned attitude is another area we MUST improve. The rest of the pack are really going to be gunning for us this year. So our blokes will have to be really focussed. Probably more so than last year.
Regarding your comments on the mid-field, Mark Johnson will defintely spend more time up there in future. Sheeds moved him up there on a few occasions last year giving us great drive. Heffernan is a star and although he did a fantastic job,i think was wasted as a 'tagger' last season. I know players have to develop a defensive side to their games. But i'd like to see Sheeds give
him more of an attacking role, his skills and 'footy smarts' are excellent. I expect Jacobs to become a regular senoir player this year. Though i'm not really sure what position he's best suited to. Maybe your suggestion of moving M.Johnno into the middle and easing Jacobs into defence has some merit. As for Rioli, i don't care where they play him i just wanna see him out there. What a talent.
Cheers.

where's wally?

Originally posted by Same Old's:
It's not like other teams weren't "gunning" for us in 2000.

[This message has been edited by Same Old's (edited 30 January 2001).]

Yeah, O.K.
Guess what i'm trying to say is maybe they'll hit us harder if they sense a drop in our intensity/hunger. You know the, 'hunter becoming the hunted' sort of thing.

where's wally?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back