AFL Toast Nailbiter against The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a bit worried about this game so good to walk away with a win. Last year WCE were smashed by injuries but they’ve got a really healthy list right now and most of their best players are available.
slightly less healthy after this game, but i'm glad we got them at home before oscar allen came back, then it'd be an actual difficult game.

I'm just picking this post amongst a sea of "Essington would have lost!!! We should be happy we won!!!".

Yes we would have won this game a few seasons ago. The most obvious example is that in 2021, when we trying to make the finals, in R17 we were up against bottom of the table North and with a few mins to go, we were only up by 4. We got up and won. A few weeks earlier against second last place Hawthorn, we fell behind in the last quarter but still got up. We won those games. We made it into the finals. We lost. And then we sacked the coach the next season.

There's far too much acceptance in here for what was a woeful performance. West Coast won the spoon last season and after 7 rounds, have won 2 games. This isn't ****ing Geelong. We keep this up and we're on track do what exactly what we did a few years ago under Rutten...... and under Hird, and under Knights, and that's make the finals when we're a crap team, get pumped, go backwards the next season and sack the coach. This was a terrible performance, particularly from partway through the 3rd quarter to the end. Repeated stupidity, laziness and recklessness and leaving Zach Merrett and to a lesser extent Nic Martin to sort it all out. Zach had nearly 30 touches and 3 goals and we won by 6 points against West Coast.

There's the elements of a good team in here. We have some top end talent. We have some promising youngsters who are beyond their rookie seasons. And that performance wasn't acceptable and I feel like I'm on crazy pills here seeing all the "just be happy we won" stuff. Just be happy we won? I'll be happy when we win games because we've pumped the opposition, or we've beaten a good team. Crawling over the line against West Coast thanks to amazing Zach performance? Nah I ain't happy about that and neither should anyone else.
it's a cliche, but for good reason: it's not who you play, it's when you play them. WC have been in genuinely decent form. In front of their crowd, on their deck, I was taking any win. The comp is so damn even that whilst I'd love to blow a few teams away, I'm not surprised that we don't. And frankly, I'd much rather have a smaller gap between better and worse. I reckon it was a pretty meritorious win personally and for me winning ugly is a good thing; but can appreciate your perspective on it

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Nailbiter against The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back