Where would collingwood be without Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

iceman77

Draftee
Oct 5, 2004
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Just wanted to find out who the next midfield brigade will be for collingwood, since Buckley is turning 33 next year, Burns 31 and Woewodin 29. I have heard King is meant to be pretty hard at it, but other then that, the others seem to have already been tried and have come up short.

iceman77 said:
Just wanted to find out who the next midfield brigade will be for collingwood, since Buckley is turning 33 next year, Burns 31 and Woewodin 29. I have heard King is meant to be pretty hard at it, but other then that, the others seem to have already been tried and have come up short.

Welcome to our world - we have noone.

Not because of class, but because MM is too scared to put anyone bar Burns, Buckley, Woewodin and Licuria in there.

In his one and only full game on the ball, Didak picked up 24 touches and kicked 3 goals.

IMO - our midfield in 3 years will look something like;

C. Cole B.Shaw Lonie
Foll. Richards Didak Johnson

Obviously that's not including draft picks (eg. Meyer / Eckerman this year).

King is not at all good enough to put in the middle. He'll be a solid HB, nothing more.

goalsneek said:
Morrison fit in there?

Not in 3 years time.

To be honest, I doubt he'd even play there next year.

MM seems to want to put Johnno in there ASAP (fair enough too), and I'd think we'll just put Chad to HB / BP, and Johnno into the middle - with Burnsy a full time forward.

There is no doubt the succession plan needs work and I would expect midfieldr4s would be targeted in the draft this year.

You can't replace Buckley and Burns but we definitely need to boost the options for when they do go. I’d say burns has 2 years and Buckley has maybe 3 or 4 with the last couple being as a loose running half back – the easiest position in the game by a mile.

O'Bree should be traded/delisted, Licuria is an established midfielder, Holland has been a bit up and down and Ben Johnson keeps improving. Johnson will be a front line midfielder. Davis, Didak, Lonie and Cole are regular senior players that could take on midfield roles. Rowe has shown promise on a wing but has only played a handful of games as yet. McGough has some ability but limited skills and pace. I am far from sold on King or Swan as midfielders. Rhyce Shaw has pace and some ability but needs to get his head right. Brayden and Heath Shaw are yet to debut but have shown some promise. I'd expect Brayden in particular to win a place in 2005 and kick on in 2006/7.

Collingwood will probably need to trade a tall or two for a midfielder in a couple of years. With all the talls on the list some will have to be traded or delisted if they don't cut it. On the Croad scale I'd expect picks 1 to 5 for a half decent tall.

iameviljez said:
Lokan, King, Swan all too slow and fat. Rowe looks a likely type.

Swan and King fat??

Lokan is nothing.
King.....I dont mind him - he has a crack.
Swan - dud. All I could think in Rnd.22 was 'My God - the bloke cant even make it spin backwards..'
Rowe - class. FAR too skinny at the moment, but is clever and neat. Needs to find targets more though, instead of just going long to a tall.

leonmagic said:
Swan - dud. All I could think in Rnd.22 was 'My God - the bloke cant even make it spin backwards..'

Hahaha I remember that. :D He just kept giving the ball back to us. What a legend!

Honestly though, he finds plenty of it. He could be a decent player in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

iceman77 said:

I think its fair to say that our recruits of 2002 have generally come up a bit short. Hopefully last years recruits plus this years recruits will be more successful I have no doubt tehy will.

PerthCrow said:
My answer is probably better as relying on someone too much is fraught with danger ..just as Nth Melbourne without Wayne

North won two flags with Wayne Carey. Its not Norths fault that Carey was a superstar and its not Collingwood's fault that Buckley is a star.

If they are good, you rely on them. Simple as that.

hotpie said:
North won two flags with Wayne Carey. Its not Norths fault that Carey was a superstar and its not Collingwood's fault that Buckley is a star.

If they are good, you rely on them. Simple as that.
And thats my point..how many would they have won if Buckley wasnt there? I was actually saying over reliance on a player to do the work can hurt you more...and my point about Carey was since he has gone Nth are in the lower half of the ladder.

They obviously rely less on Bucks in the past year or so than they have but for the years before he was obviously the dominant player and demanded the ball. He is a champion and if their way of thinking was to rely on him we would not have developed in 02 and 03 like we did. He needed more class around him and be the cream on the cake rather than the sole focus.
He is ageing and if he can go forward with short stints on the ball and then cruise half back line in the last couple of years we need someone to take up the slack.
We will never have that dominating midfielder he was but 2-3 good players would take up the slack and he may well be the cream on the cake yet.

Hopefully!!

2002 was a poor year at the draft table for the Pies but it was an ordinary draft all-round on current indications. Cam will be a good pickup from '02 but I wouldn't write home about any of the others. Lokan tries but he has to. The rest were slow starters that never gathered any momentum. 2003 is far too early to call but Rowe looks a good get and the Shaw boys can play. Morrison and Hall have done SFA but have excuses so far. Drafting pre 2002 was fairly good with a good hit rate. The less said about the 90's drafting the better. The net result of a decade at the draft table is a couple of good players and a truck load of duds. Hence no depth in the midfield or anywhere else with any age or experience. That hasn't changed for a few years as the older players with limited upside have made way for each successive crop of draftees. The poor result from 2002 is why the midfield seems a bit thin now. A fair bit rests on the progress of Brayden Shaw who has had big wraps in terms of the medium term. The short term (next 2 years) I am very comfortable with.

I am yet to be convinced Morrison can improve the side at all let alone add much when we need it - when Buckley and Burns go. I don't see any downside but not much upside either. Unless O'Bree is let go now that Morrison is on board but I doubt that. On the up side he's a Collingwood boy so I hope he tears it up big time.

i really cant figure anyone out at the moment, when i think of the collingwood midfield, i think of guys like Buckley, Licuria and Burns, other then that really no one. B Johnson could be tried in there and also Didak and what about L Davis. I read in an earlier thread that the pies delisted O'bree, he was another midfielder.

Don't be too harsh on Dane Swan just yet. In the first Carlton game (which I thought was our most disgusting and pathetic effort of the year) I remember Swanny being the only one willing to put pressure on the player with the ball. There was one stage where a Carlton player had the ball with two free teammates around him yet Swan was able to put enough pressure on all of them to cause a turnover and kick the ball forward. He tries harder than half the players out there (Lokan, Shaw etc)

Jubair said:
i really cant figure anyone out at the moment, when i think of the collingwood midfield, i think of guys like Buckley, Licuria and Burns, other then that really no one. B Johnson could be tried in there and also Didak and what about L Davis. I read in an earlier thread that the pies delisted O'bree, he was another midfielder.

O'Bree hasn't been cut - and nor should he be.

We're going on about having noone capable in the middle - well at least OB has proved that he can be a gun - see 2000 and 2001.

PerthCrow said:
And thats my point..how many would they have won if Buckley wasnt there? I was actually saying over reliance on a player to do the work can hurt you more...and my point about Carey was since he has gone Nth are in the lower half of the ladder.

Absolute bollocks. How can having Carey or Buckley in your side hurt you?

Carey got old, thats all. Without Carey they would have not won two flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would collingwood be without Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back