Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s just applaud them.. Credit where it’s due. That club has no right to tick over 100,000 members after their lowly finish in 2021 and season to date. If their stadium had 100,000 seats their membership would probably be on another level again. That club is huge.. I don’t think we Victorians really understand that.
West Coast aren't that big outside WA... while Richmond and Collingwood are big all over Australia!!

West Coast aren't that big outside WA... while Richmond and Collingwood are big all over Australia!!

I reckon West coast has more fans in Melbourne than Richmond has in WA.
What do you call big? All clubs have fans everywhere. And in WA abd SA the big VIC clubs have far less supporters than you think. North and Carlton easily have the most fans in WA and that is still very small.

What do you call big? All clubs have fans everywhere. And in WA abd SA the big VIC clubs have far less supporters than you think. North and Carlton easily have the most fans in WA and that is still very small.

100%

West Coast crowds in Melbourne are now larger than the Crows, and only behind Sydney and Brisbane

Country Victoria and the aforementioned diaspora across Australia probably puts Collingwood and possibly Richmond over West Coast
Instagram, Facebook, sub-reddits are all bigger

I used to think Eagles were biggest but they’ve been number 3 or 4 online for ages

I don't know about that i think its more that west coast has more access to seats at the MCG with 100K capacity unlike OS with 60K and limited seating to what away teams can access.

Dreamtime in 2021 Optus Stadium, ess v rich, bombers home game but we had very good support that day 8-10K and Bombers had more about 15K and half of the crowd were eagles/dockers fans that no one is going to dispute but i did feel they were going for the underdog the bombers as we had won 3 flags so that's understandable.

Funny how that is.

Like in gero the 3rd biggest supporter base is the saints.

Not a big 4 team.

Jeez, how many games in WA do you go to? Collingwood and Essendon are easily the 2 biggest supported. Carlton are a rung down and North aren't even close.

Jeez, how many games in WA do you go to? Collingwood and Essendon are easily the 2 biggest supported. Carlton are a rung down and North aren't even close.

Pretty much every Eagles gave since inception. Carlton and North have had the biggest following in WA since the late 70’s.
Good for you if you think differently.

I would be confident in saying my club outnumber West Coast in terms of supporter numbers.. in every state and territory except WA!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be confident in saying my club outnumber West Coast in terms of supporter numbers.. in every state and territory except WA!
I reckon it would be closer to the eagles way in NT

With port scoring highly in google trends

Richmond hands down in qld with the retirees

But there’s a tonne of wa folk move for career reasons to Sydney - and as more than half of the footy supporters from here would be west coast you might find we outnumber you there.

Funk knows with Adelaide.

Carlton and north took a lot of wa players over a long period of time and a lot of supporters who never came over to eagles / dockers stuck with them.

That’s why north wanted to play “home games” against the eagles here - they knew they would make bank at a time they were broke af - as well as get a decent and very vocal crowd so it wouldn’t be such an away game.

Of course the afl that manages double ups against collingwood at the mcg every year for teams like Carlton and Essendon said with a straight face that it would impact the integrity of the fixture.

Carlton and north took a lot of wa players over a long period of time and a lot of supporters who never came over to eagles / dockers stuck with them.

That’s why north wanted to play “home games” against the eagles here - they knew they would make bank at a time they were broke af - as well as get a decent and very vocal crowd so it wouldn’t be such an away game.
North haven't had decent numbers at an away game in Perth since Carey was playing. They probably get more than the other 3 small Melbourne clubs, but it's not by much.

Pretty much every Eagles gave since inception. Carlton and North have had the biggest following in WA since the late 70’s.
Good for you if you think differently.
I don't think Eagles games give you much of an indication as there haven't been many tickets available to away supporters for 25 years.

Richmond aren’t as strongly supported as Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon outside Victoria. These three clubs have the broadest national support of the Victorian clubs. Hawthorn are not far behind them, along with the Tigers.

Richmond aren’t as strongly supported as Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon outside Victoria. These three clubs have the broadest national support of the Victorian clubs. Hawthorn are not far behind them, along with the Tigers.

Sorry Dave I disagree with that assertion, that's just 90's early 2000's talk. I do have a bit of an advantage having worked in membership for many years. We have the highest membership in QLD outside of the lions and suns. Very good support in WA as you know, as do the bombers. NSW we have over 4000 members and in Tassie we'd likely have the most, due to our tassie connection with tiger players Richo, Riewoldt, Roach, Gale, Hart, Stewart etc similar to Carlton with their SA connection. In SA we are ok, just stronger in other states. Blues easily have the most in SA

Sorry Dave I disagree with that assertion, that's just 90's early 2000's talk. I do have a bit of an advantage having worked in membership for many years. We have the highest membership in QLD outside of the lions and suns. Very good support in WA as you know, as do the bombers. NSW we have over 4000 members and in Tassie we'd likely have the most, due to our tassie connection with tiger players Richo, Riewoldt, Roach, Gale, Hart, Stewart etc similar to Carlton with their SA connection. In SA we are ok, just stronger in other states. Blues easily have the most in SA
Yep, agree to disagree I guess.

I live on the Gold Coast and from my experience in SEQ there’s 3 well supported clubs in the region and that’s the Pies, Blues and Bombers. The Hawks seem to have good support too. Then the rest can please themselves in terms of local support. I suspect the Tigers membership strength in QLD relates to fans buying QLD memberships during Covid in the hope of witnessing a QLD based grand final.

Yep, agree to disagree I guess.

I live on the Gold Coast and from my experience in SEQ there’s 3 well supported clubs in the region and that’s the Pies, Blues and Bombers. The Hawks seem to have good support too. Then the rest can please themselves in terms of local support. I suspect the Tigers membership strength in QLD relates to fans buying QLD memberships during Covid in the hope of witnessing a QLD based grand final.

That's fair enough I guess we all see it differently none more so than 2 WA residents having different views who's biggest from other states in their own state. I read many comments on our board and punt road end forum too that live in Brisbane, live in gold coast etc and say we have heaps of support guess that shows with our crowds at Metricon stadium.

Maybe true there was a spike over covid but we have maintained, well increased our member numbers in QLD

Deep down its not a biggy as most big Vic clubs have decent support in each state and many from Vic travel too.

In NT we have good support as do the bombers combining our colours and being the main drawcards for Dreamtime.
And having players from NT helps Maurice Rioli, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli Junior

I do recall when the bombers hit the front in dreamtime in Perth, 2021 it was damn loud. I thought the bombers did a great job as the home team to promote it. I Recall you were mighty impressed with your club the way they promoted the game.

How about Boltons 3 goals, the last goal was pretty loud.

Last edited:
That's fair enough I guess we all see it differently none more so than 2 WA residents having different views who's biggest from other states in their own state. I read many comments on our board and punt road end forum too that live in Brisbane, live in gold coast etc and say we have heaps of support guess that shows with our crowds at Metricon stadium.

Maybe true there was a spike over covid but we have maintained, well increased our member numbers in QLD

Deep down its not a biggy as most big Vic clubs have decent support in each state and many from Vic travel too.

In NT we have good support as do the bombers combining our colours and being the main drawcards for Dreamtime.
And having players from NT helps Maurice Rioli, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli Junior

I do recall when the bombers hit the front in dreamtime in Perth, 2021 it was damn loud. I thought the bombers did a great job as the home team to promote it. I Recall you were mighty impressed with your club the way they promoted the game.

How about Boltons 3 goals, the last goal was pretty loud.

Yes that Dreamtime game was a beacon for the league as it turned out.. Since then, Collingwood are talking about stints of games in QLD etc…

From a Dons point of view, the amount of support that travelled within WA to that game was the catalyst for a renewed strategic push to grow its membership by harnessing its support outside Vic. The club was aware of its numbers but blown away by their support that week. That Bolton goal, and probably more so the Waterman goal that had the Bombers alongside the Tigers late showed, or reminded Essendon’s executive of the scale of support nationwide through this Dreamtime spectacle as a case in point. It then a few weeks later crowded out Hawthorn in Tassie in a game that sold out (75% restriction) in an hour….

Then EFC changed course off field with Campbell (CEO) removed and new CEO (Vozzo), whilst highly effective with focus on field with results starting to materialise, isn’t as focussed on membership stuff until they get their footy program functioning.

Vozzo is really clear on this and will be patient. He’s a very pragmatic, sensible and calm operator whose really made an impact on its footy program, with Scott also providing great leadership to make the program ultra professional and list standards throughout.. Membership focus and commercial initiatives will come in due course is what I’m told in circles I move (I’m a coterie member).. Until the footy program is operating at a high level they won’t invest too hard pushing for member numbers for fear of another false dawn.

Interestingly 18 months ago their membership renewal intent rate was at its lowest level in years, due to its years of false dawns and incompetence (frankly). Hence the need to be patient. But they’re very focussed on the groundwork ahead of this time with their community engagement now much improved and now a strategic pillar of their Business plan.

Essendon is a big club whose fans are still inside the cave. It’s been a scarring 15 years for their fans, what they’ve been through unmatched in the games history in reality. There’s a healthy portion of fans who will take much more convincing of being ‘out of the woods’ before they truly get back on board. The club knows this and that’s why it’s not stressed about its membership situation at present. It has seen the amount of support it’s had at training and games in VIC, WA and QLD this year to know that when the time comes, they will like in again. Just as we’ve seen with the Blues.

Rant over!!!!

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that WCE has more fans in WA than the Big 4 combined Australia wide. I believe this based on Pop in WA, being an AFL state and their crowd and membership numbers considering their form.

But if you look into other metrics like social media platforms plus engagement, website traffic, Google traffic, TV ratings, Sub reddit, Linkdin, even supercoach :) you will find the same 3 clubs over and over again in the top 4 Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I'm of the opinion that WCE has more fans in WA than the Big 4 combined Australia wide. I believe this based on Pop in WA, being an AFL state and their crowd and membership numbers considering their form.

But if you look into other metrics like social media platforms plus engagement, website traffic, Google traffic, TV ratings, Sub reddit, Linkdin, even supercoach :) you will find the same 3 clubs over and over again in the top 4 Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
Depends what you define as a supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Back