Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

"when they arrived/on arrival"
Cotch for me.
He was highly regarded by draft experts people everywhere, he seemed like a sure thing, especially after the Tambling fiasco, and we seemed to be building a decent player base at that time.

to be fair we didn't go for franklin cause we had Richo and a few other talls we were developing, however we didnt know franklin was going to be BUddy either. we needed a small.
I'm not sure thats right at all...

I'm sure I've seen/heard, that we wanted Lids and Roughy as our top 2 picks in the draft.

As we know the Hawks wanted Roughy and Buddy...

Apparently we made it well known that we weren't taking Buddy with either of our top 2, so the Hawks, who were going to take Buddy at #2, took Roughy off the table instead knowing we wouldn't take buddy at #4, so they could at #5...

I think Griffin at #3 to the dogs was well know (or at worst, made the Buddy gamble a genuine 50/50

I'm sure I've seen/heard, that we wanted Lids and Roughy as our top 2 picks in the draft.

Apparently we made it well known that we weren't taking Buddy with either of our top 2, so the Hawks, who were going to take Buddy at #2, took Roughy off the table instead knowing we wouldn't take buddy at #4, so they could at #5...

I think Griffin at #3 to the dogs was well know (or at worst, made the Buddy gamble a genuine 50/50
YES, I COULD BE WRONG, IT WAS JUST THE WAY I REMEMBERED IT.
Obviously if we had known buddy was buddy it would be a no brainer, Tambling OMG>

YES, I COULD BE WRONG, IT WAS JUST THE WAY I REMEMBERED IT.
Obviously if we had known buddy was buddy it would be a no brainer, Tambling OMG>
I wasn't yelling at you mate... relax :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

For the record, I also think a lot if not most clubs said they had Tambling above Buddy in the draft rankings at the time, so if it wasn't us, it would just as likely happened to someone else.

For the record, I also think a lot if not most clubs said they had Tambling above Buddy in the draft rankings at the time, so if it wasn't us, it would just as likely happened to someone else.
lol, It's just my laziness, i didnt realsie it was caps on and was too lazy too change it :p:p:p:p

A lot of people had Tambling as No 1 - the concern being had only played Div 2 U18 champss, and was the stereotypical 'indigenous kid from a remote community' - ie - how would he cope in the big smoke.

Franklin also had a few doubts about him - he was a bit of a loose cannon as a kid. He was definitely No 5 of the Big 5 in most 'experts' eyes.

Drafting is not an exact science.

I think Griffin at #3 to the dogs was well know (or at worst, made the Buddy gamble a genuine 50/50Ye
Yes all coming back. From memory we had already told him that we were going to select him at four and made no secret of it. In fact as I recall Roughhead had even received an invitation to attend a presidents barbecue?/photo shoot with the four other top 20 picks the morning after the draft. So we definitely wanted a Richo replacement. Anyhow that always annoyed me for years that we seemed so happy to let it out in public who we were going to select with our first pick. Even when it was a ridiculous reach like Conca. Not only did it always feel tactically stupid, but it would take a lot of the fun out of the draft in terms of anticipation. Much much happier now not knowing.

Yes all coming back. From memory we had already told him that we were going to select him at four and made no secret of it. In fact as I recall Roughhead had even received an invitation to attend a presidents barbecue?/photo shoot with the four other top 20 picks the morning after the draft. So we definitely wanted a Richo replacement. Anyhow that always annoyed me for years that we seemed so happy to let it out in public who we were going to select with our first pick. Even when it was a ridiculous reach like Conca. Not only did it always feel tactically stupid, but it would take a lot of the fun out of the draft in terms of anticipation. Much much happier now not knowing.
were Our pics 1 x 4 , wonder how tamblimg had of gone elsewhere , sadly we weren’t right spot

A lot of people had Tambling as No 1 - the concern being had only played Div 2 U18 champss, and was the stereotypical 'indigenous kid from a remote community' - ie - how would he cope in the big smoke.

Franklin also had a few doubts about him - he was a bit of a loose cannon as a kid. He was definitely No 5 of the Big 5 in most 'experts' eyes.

Drafting is not an exact science.
my crystal ball says Richard tambling had his battles but still carved out a pretty decent career but never helped us to glory.

and iF we had of got Buddy instead...... Wallace might have butchered his career as well

and also if buddy had a good career with us it would never have collected us a premiership and just lifted us up a few rungs on the ladder and thats means/meant NO Dusty for us.

the thought of Dustin in a Saints jumper is something I could live with but not in a Dees, Carlton or Collingwood jumper. now that makes me want to vomit 🤮🤮🤮

Similar to Sydney Stack

Not one I was MOST excited about but thought we had found a real wild card type with Troy Taylor :huh::(:(:(
Thought Troy was more talented than Stack. He could not stop himself running back home and getting on the piss with mates. Last I heard he was charged with assaulting a cop. Just hear say.

Remember Clarko at the end of that draft saying they were going to build a side around those 2 key position players
We had a god hand and totally destroyed it

Wallet coached the love of footy and the flair and fun out of the game for Tambling.

He could play he showed it early doors then after seemingly having his instinct coached out of him he lost it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember Clarko at the end of that draft saying they were going to build a side around those 2 key position players
We had a god hand and totally destroyed it
Football 101 when in full rebuild mode, all things being equal fix the spine first (plus talls take longer to develop anyway), and then draft your midfield, flankers etc. Not genius just serious common sense.

Wallet coached the love of footy and the flair and fun out of the game for Tambling.

He could play he showed it early doors then after seemingly having his instinct coached out of him he lost it.
Tambo is the pin up child for "confidence in footy" sadly he lost all of his despite having plenty of ability.

Unsure about when they arrived. Mine Tony Lockett announced by ch10 only for the AFL to stand in. Otherwise Coughlan, would have been a Brownlow medalist if not for injury.

Great thread - has been a interesting read to get all the differing opinions from other Tiger supporters, about their experiences.

For me - it was definitely Brett Deledio, did a lot of pre-draft reading on him in the lead up to the 2004 national draft, had all the skills & attributes & seemed a ready made AFL footballer (was also a very talented cricketer).
Fun fact - I rejoined the club as member for the 2005 season (original membership was in person at the save our skins rally) and did the newly signed members tour of Punt Road and Richard Tambling was our designated tour leader (was a very quiet / reserved character) and was spewing that I didn't get into Brett's group :D. Was also shocked at how bad the players training and weight room facilities were at the time (nothing like the club's current state of the art facilities).

Watched Brett's first game (opening round 2005 season) against Geelong at the MCG and he took a very classy one handed mark on the HFF and I was thinking this kid is going to be a star player for many years to come for the club.
Brett (like Nathan FIGJAM Buckley), was a victim of his own personal high standards that he set for himself, which did not always endear him to the playing group, but man he could play, good hands overhead, clean at ground level, was a beautiful penetrating kick & could kick on both sides of his body (though he tended to favour his right foot).

It is very ironic now, that Brett deciding to leave the club in 2016 (that he was a 2 time B & F winner at), paved the way forward for the club to recruit Toby Nankervis, Josh Caddy & Dion Prestia which culminated in that glorious drought breaking premiership in 2017.

As Ned Kelly would say...'such is life' ;)

Just some general observations...
Other players mentioned in this thread, who I thought were going to be great players for the club early on in their careers were:

Mark Coughlan (walked past him, match day at the MCG, on the way into the ground and couldn't believe the physical size of the guy), could have been anything, but was cruelly cut down by injury;

Mark Dragacevic - another very talented & natural footballer, who had speed, great skills, but like Cogh's was also struck down by constant injury woes in the form of knee injuries / reconstruction surgeries and;

Anthony 'Macca' Banik, this guy was recruited to the club at a very young age (16), when the club coached by the legendary KB was broke, had terrible training facilities, and not enough money available to spend in key areas of recruiting and player development.

Watched Macca play a few games with the club and he definitely had the talent to become a good long term player for the club, the games I saw him play - he was playing off the HBF, was a good reader of the play, strong body in heavy traffic & made good decisions with the ball in hand, with his advanced physical physique, would have developed into a inside type mid field role on ball going forward, but it was not meant to be, as unfortunately illness in the form of glandular fever curtailed his league career.
In his last season at the club in 1994 - he won the reserves B & F, before going on to play senior football in the SANFL with West Adelaide and country footy with Sale and Welshpool-Won Wron - Woodside.

I remember the arrival of that young recruit from the west....Ben Cousins! :grinv1: The media and hype around him donning the yellow sash, was like nothing we had ever seen around our club. I thought he was going to drag us into the finals and teach all the young kids how to become stars (I was also a little concerned he might teach them other things, I must admit too :whistle:).

That first game was massive. Biggest crowd that we had dragged through the turnstiles for a long time. The Stands literally shook when he took to the field...and then he did his hammy. I'll never forget the &#%$^ Blues supporters laughing and cheering his injury. Made me despise them forever.
I was at that game too and never minded the Blues until then. Disgraceful they were that night.

Sadly, It was amateur of us letting everyone know our draft plans . Got done over by the hawk

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back