Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call freezer was a gun in a rubbish side
Injuries ****ed him.
King hit from Dermott Brereton didn’t help Free much either. A few games back he did his knee. I wonder if Brereton has any remorse or regrets. Remember the brutal king hit on Danny Frawley , all bc they were behind the saints at 3/4 time and he hadn’t had z as kick. Should have gone to jail for that one…

I'm not sure thats right at all...

I'm sure I've seen/heard, that we wanted Lids and Roughy as our top 2 picks in the draft.

As we know the Hawks wanted Roughy and Buddy...

Apparently we made it well known that we weren't taking Buddy with either of our top 2, so the Hawks, who were going to take Buddy at #2, took Roughy off the table instead knowing we wouldn't take buddy at #4, so they could at #5...

I think Griffin at #3 to the dogs was well know (or at worst, made the Buddy gamble a genuine 50/50
From memory I think all the pundits had Tambling going to the Hawks before Buddy or Roughy. We had Roughy pencilled in for our pick. I remember listening to the draft and there was a long pause when it was our pick and Tambling was still on the table, he was highly rated that draft.

Wallet coached the love of footy and the flair and fun out of the game for Tambling.

He could play he showed it early doors then after seemingly having his instinct coached out of him he lost it.

Correct me if im wrong but didn't he kick 4 goals in the first quarter against the Eagles in 2007? So much promise wasted.

Danny Meyer was one for me. Thought we were picking up this silky, creative HFF but he just never got close to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the less obvious ones that (in hindsight) I may have been a bit overexcited about
  • David Bourke - bloodlines.....
  • Leon Cameron - is he a lefty or a righty?
  • Tom Roach - bloodlines #2
  • JON - the next Adam Goodes?
  • Vickery - mobile, 200cm, can't miss
  • Aaron Edwards - wasted at North, he'll come good with us....
  • Ricky Petterd - reminds me of a young Aaron Edwards
  • Chris Yarran - can't believe Carlton is willing to let him go
  • Patrick Naish - bloodlines #3
  • CCJ - big man with a classy hyphenated name...
  • RCD - big mid, 2 mums, hyphenated name
  • Mav Weller - his name is Maverick, so he must be amazing
  • Robbie Tarrant - reminds me of an older Aaron Edwards

Some of the less obvious ones that (in hindsight) I may have been a bit overexcited about
  • David Bourke - bloodlines.....
  • Leon Cameron - is he a lefty or a righty?
  • Tom Roach - bloodlines #2
  • JON - the next Adam Goodes?
  • Vickery - mobile, 200cm, can't miss
  • Aaron Edwards - wasted at North, he'll come good with us....
  • Ricky Petterd - reminds me of a young Aaron Edwards
  • Chris Yarran - can't believe Carlton is willing to let him go
  • Patrick Naish - bloodlines #3
  • CCJ - big man with a classy hyphenated name...
  • RCD - big mid, 2 mums, hyphenated name
  • Mav Weller - his name is Maverick, so he must be amazing
  • Robbie Tarrant - reminds me of an older Aaron Edwards

I really enjoyed that. I was talking to a good Richmond mate a while back about how we both loved footy so much more back in those really shitty richmond days. The peak is always the 3 flag era, but those shitty years were so fun to be part of. Good humour is dark and painful & 90s-2000s Richmond was champagne comedy. Richo was the greatest player to follow for that reason too. We had clowns like Wallet & Miller acting like snake charmers near the end. One hit wonders. Hilariously bad draft picks where the next pick was a generational talent. It was like Faulty ****ing towers. The one year we got good (95) we somehow lost our coach a month later over schoolyard shit.

Be it recycling players, taking every ex-players kid, missing picks - trading shit - sacking coaches etc. It was always so interesting.

Nearly every player to some point has a footnote for us.

For example if i say Ben Hollands........

Everyone has mentioned the big ones already but I had high hopes for Chris knight but his knees were kaput
He was a gun in his prime at Adelaide. Body was fkd though.
Yarran for some f’d up reason.
Imagine we had a fit and firing Yarran off a half back flank with Houli during the dynasty. It wouldn't have been fair to the other teams. Shame.

Daniel Rioli. When his name got called out on draft night i told my wife we were going to win a flag because every Rioli has won one. Didn't make the same call with MJ tho..

Josh Caddy
Thought he was going to take our midfield to the next level and that cats were stupid for never playing him as a mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back