Review Which spud did you think was going to be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

TBF to JWS, he was never a spud. Unquestionably an elite talent that could never get the ankle right.

We'll always have the '07 semi final.

He waltzed around like he owned the joint.

Jed Anderson
Ben Warren
Lachie Hansen
Brett Chandler
Brad Moran
Josh Smith
Evan Hewitt
Ben Robbins
Aaron Black
Post 92 before the first mention of Josh Smith. Was the first one that leapt to mind. A little while after The Unpleasantness, there was this big lump of a lad clunking marks in #18 and I thought everything was going to be all right again.

Agree with you on Harper. However, Campbell got the most out of himself, for mine... No regrets with Matty
Matches the premise of the thread tho. When he and LT broke in together it looked like we would have an elite pair of pressure small forwards for a decade. Then Flash turned out to be ... less than that.

For me, it has to be Majak. That fleeting day against Brisbane when he made a fool of the Sauce is still firmly etched in my memory. I thought we were witnessing the re-incarnation of Carey (or, at least, Corey). Then, he came back against the Bullies and booted a lazy six and re-enforced my belief. Sadly, it's been a long, slow descent into mediocrity from there. The 2016 final against Adelaide showed a brief glimmer - since then, nada, niet, zilch, zero. For the fourth year in a row, I've been reduced to "please Maj, this year!".

One bloke in the 80s i thought was going to be a superstar for us was Bruce Abernethy. When he moved to Collingwood after 2 years i was devastated but he never developed into the player i thought he wpuld. His first two years in the VFL were his best i thought

Evan Hewitt. I thought could have been anything. Remember a game at the G where he sat on the bench all day against Richmond, we were down by quite a bit, Carey was having a rare stinker (reckon he was hungover), Hewitt came on marked everything and if memory serves me right he kicked 4 in the last quarter and we just fell short. Sadly didn’t get a lot of opportunities in that forward line, and although he is listed as playing 38 games for nmfc, back then a lot of those games were spent on the bench the whole time. Another one was Robert Pyman, when Buckley didn’t come to us the talk was he was just as good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we had a guy on our list who was rated like Carey, reckon they played together u19's? Big unit and he was meant to be special. Seriously his name sounded like a hair replacement company.

Never managed a game and was probably as useful as hair plugs tbh.
Chris Groom?

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Digby Morrell
Jeremy Clayton
Watched Clayton a fair bit when he came over to play for the Port Magpies.

Just dominated and won the Magarey Medal in 2005.

Courage that belied his size as well. Went where angels fear to tread one day at Adelaide Oval and ended up in hospital. #respect

Actually received the Magarey medal while in hospital after injuring his spleen during that final.

Also won a Liston in 2003 but was ineligible due to suspension.

Not really a spud and still think he could have made it if someone had give him another crack while he was at Port.

Edit: Richmond did approach Clayton at the end of 2005 with a view to drafting him at the 2005 AFL Draft but he decided to remain at Port Adelaide.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Which spud did you think was going to be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back