Opinion Which Swans player 22 or under....

Remove this Banner Ad

The only player in that list who has elite potential is Sam Reid. Hannebery has the potential to be an excellent player, Bird and Parker have the potential to be very good with excellent patches of the year, Jetta has the potential to be solid to good. I never got to see much of Rohan at junior level and don't feel confident making judgments on him yet. Luke Parker does have a higher ceiling than what I have given him here, although he'll never be an elite midfielder he could be in the next group, but I just regard him as more likely to be very good

In my humble opinion I think it would be wrong to put a ceiling on parker, I think he'll be an elite attacking midfielder once he reaches his peak, and I think he'll reach his peak early as well.

The only player in that list who has elite potential is Sam Reid. Hannebery has the potential to be an excellent player, Bird and Parker have the potential to be very good with excellent patches of the year, Jetta has the potential to be solid to good. I never got to see much of Rohan at junior level and don't feel confident making judgments on him yet. Luke Parker does have a higher ceiling than what I have given him here, although he'll never be an elite midfielder he could be in the next group, but I just regard him as more likely to be very good

I think that depends on your definition of elite. Would you consider players like Rob Harvey, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black to be / have been elite players? For me the answer is a clear yes (unquestionably for Harvey and Black) yet the way they went about things is not dissimilar to many midfielders of moderate to small stature and without explosive pace.

I am not suggesting that any of our midfield brigade are necessarily destined to reach the standards of Black or Harvey - just that you can't rule them out on the basis of not having height, explosive pace, or eye-catching kicking skills.

When I first watched Birdy play I said "he's gonna win a brownlow" so okay, maybe he won't. But dammit I'm gonna be watching anyways! Great hands, fast thinker. He's gonna be like Simon Black, getting 37 touches in a losing team at age 45!

Tough question. Initially I thought Reid but then thought about what a massive game Bird had on the weekend. I just sense he could be something really special. I don't know many times in a game I say to myself "clever little hand ball" or "smart kick" and it is Craig.
So, I love Sammy A LOT he's special already IMO but Bird is the one for me. Just makes you realise how lucky we are with some of the names on that list to choose from.

Tend to agree with this. While I love the antics (read : spectacular plays) of some others (eg, Reid, Rohan, Jetta) it's Bird who warms the cockles of my heart. I really feel that given a good run with injuries he could turn out to be another super-star no 14. For a player of his age he's smart, skilled and seems to be on a fast track to stardom. What's more he's consistent. That's the hard bit. I've been watching him since debut and have been frustrated at his injuries yet still comes on. A few more bags of 4 goals and he'll be the one we're all talking about.

Tend to agree with this. While I love the antics (read : spectacular plays) of some others (eg, Reid, Rohan, Jetta) it's Bird who warms the cockles of my heart. I really feel that given a good run with injuries he could turn out to be another super-star no 14. For a player of his age he's smart, skilled and seems to be on a fast track to stardom. What's more he's consistent. That's the hard bit. I've been watching him since debut and have been frustrated at his injuries yet still comes on. A few more bags of 4 goals and he'll be the one we're all talking about.

Good post.

I think Bird's potential is underestimated on here because of the injury setbacks he's had.

The two I've watched closely from early on are Juzzy and Rowy. I saw a lot of them in NEAFL and loved their development from Day 1. Both are getting close to their peak but I would love to see them unleashed more. They are more than role players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back