which would you prefer?

which would you prefer for the pre-season cup?

• keep the old 'round robin' way

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • the new 'knock out' rounds will be better

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • i really dont care!

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

dees*gal

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2000
melbourne
Other Teams
MELBOURNE DEMONS!!!
we're soon coming up to the pre-season cup. some people disregard the whole thing and only worry about the home and away season; which is fair enough.

but for those of us who DO care - you'd know that the cup has changed for this yr... they're having a knock out round. as was posted in nut's thread - some of the coached don’t like having to pick a strong team so that their team wont be knocked out. the pre-season cup used to be used to test different and new players in different positions. however, it doesn’t seem like that will able to be done now, as its a knock out game.

so my question to you is which would you prefer? the old 'round robin' way, or the new 'knock out' way?? and why?

Just a quick point Deesgal, the Preseason comp has always been a knockout comp till about 2 or 3 years ago when they tried the round robin format.

I think the round robin is best as we tend to see our team at least twice in Victoria play a semi-serious game, instead of $2 mickey mouse games in the bush somewhere. Which is what happens if you are knocked out in the first round

Originally posted by dillo_09
Just a quick point Deesgal, the Preseason comp has always been a knockout comp till about 2 or 3 years ago when they tried the round robin format.

yes but once they changed it, they should have kept it!

I prefer the round robin format as it gives all teams a chance to have at least 3 competitive hitouts before the start of the real season rather than getting knocked out the first round and having to worry about scheduling practice games until the start of the season

Im sure the AFL would return to the round-robin if the clubs actually took the games seriously.

Pre Season Cup - Yawn!

Use whatever format tickles their fancy at the time!!!!

Everything up to the commencement of Round 1 has absolutely no significance to The Football Year!

It should be used as a taster for your young players apart from that unless your povo and need the money - There are a few of you arent there???????? Hahahahaha!!!

It should go back to the Round Robin format, but you get to play your first round opponent in a Best of 3 Playoff

Collingwood vs Carlton
Carlton vs Collingwood
Collingwood vs Carlton

Id like that ;)

I think it comes down to the question of whether the pre-season comp is really a competition or just an adjunct to the main season.

If it's a real competition in its own right, then knockout would be better - harder competition, more exciting, more meaningful.
If it's just an add-on to the H&A, then round robin gives you more opportunity to see the team play, to test youngsters, etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll do an Eddie and wear 2 hats.

As a Collingwood supporter I would prefer a round robbin. We have a number of players we need to look at and some positional experimentation would be beneficial. that is facilitated by a round robin where yuo can rotate senior players game by game and give them a light workload.

From a football watching perspective the round robin sucks. the games are even more meaningless than with a nockout. You caould put any side on the park and get a game next week - at least until the finals. Coaches takes round robin games less seriously from a winning perspective, the players are of lesser average quality and the intensity is not there.

Originally posted by Porthos
Im sure the AFL would return to the round-robin if the clubs actually took the games seriously.

If the AFL took it seriously they wouldn't have put in those stupid rule changes (are they still there or have they come to their senses?). With these changes you'd be better off losing the first round and playing practice matches under normal rules.

I just checked the fixture.....Adelaide plays Port at Footy park, and if they win, they play the winner of Freo/Weagles in......Mararra....fvckin Darwin! They have to win this game to play in Melbourne. At least last year I got to see them play in Melbourne. With 3 guaranteed games in the round robin format, at least one was usually in Melbourne.

So.....Definitely the round robin format.

Also, whats with all the Diz-nee (c) Corp rules. Can we just have footy? Please!

Kasey

Maybe they could use the system like the rugby sevens.

The cup is contested as normal.

The plate is contested by the losing semifinalist's

The bowl is contested by the losing quarterfinalists

The Sheild is contested by the losing first roun teams.

This is a knockout but there is still a second tier trophy to play for.

Remove this Banner Ad

which would you prefer?

Back