Who’s stepping up to play in 2021?

Which of these players will play at least half the 2021 H&A season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got 24 players who have played at least 7 games of senior footy (Pendles, Sidebottom, ... etc, etc ... Noble, Quaynor, T.Brown).

We’ve got at least 17 who haven’t. See list in poll above. They’ve only played 9 AFL games between them. Some of those will need to step up and play significant gametime in 2021.

Who will it be?

Poll Above. Multiple selections allowed

I've gone with Murph , Kelly and Reef but even those I can't say I am confident. I am a fan of what we achieved last night but struggling to see any of that lot playing most of the year without a second preseason. Perhaps McCreery could be the bolter given his senior experience.

I think Kelly looked likely in his half a game and Keane early season was good. There are spots available if they step up. May be asking a lot of any of the 8 new kids to play 11 games especially the Vic kids who missed all that development this year. If a couple could make a debut would be good. Bianco and Rantall are still unknown, will likely need to be mainly VFL this year. Murphy seems to have stagnated a bit but needs to play this season. Ruscoe probably get some games, next most likely to get 11 given got games this year

Overall it’s TBrown Sier Cal Brown that will need to get over 11 games if they want to keep a spot. I would expect them to be ahead of the 1st and 2nd year players

The obvious 4 of Kelly, Bianco, Rantall & Murphy. Then a left field player in Wilson. Of the new kids I see the 2 SA lads being the most likely to play 11 or more games, Henry the next most likely. Others will get games, just not that 1/2 a season.

I think of the draftees, its Henry and Macrae that will have immediate impact. I expect both in the side round 1.

Of the others the most obvious ones are Kelly, Bianco, Murphy and Rantall.

I think we firstly need Sier and JDG playing the full season.
Those who l can see playing regular senior footy that we didn't get to see much this year, would be Kelly, Rantall, Murphy and Keane. Bianco, l would hold fire on at this stage, but wouldn't surprise me to see him playing early on next year.
Of the 2020 draft haul, l can see Henry and Poulter getting some games next year, with McCrae and McCreery coming in almost immediately. McCrae just looks a natural footballer to me, who just seems to accumulate possessions, and is a beautiful user on both feet, which we need. Whilst McCreery seems that high pressure small forward, who kicks goals, like a Papley, which we also need.

Last edited:
I think Rantall, Kelly, Ruscoe and Murphy will play a lot of games.
Of the first years I think Macrae and Mcreery most likely to play early on.
Bianco, Henry and Keane may play a few games during season too.

I think the spots available are small forward and rotation mid.

I think McCreery with his SANFL experience in a position of need is a good chance of playing games if he can hack the level.

I also think Rantall/Reef/Macrae might get some games in the midfield rotation. Although its a big ask with an interrupted season for Reef and Macrae, I still think they could surprise.

I think the poll question actually needs to be reviewed. It's an enormous ask to suggest any of these boys will play "at least half the H&A games".
Maybe between 5-10 games would be more useful?
Unless we have a very clean bill of health, we're going to need a couple of them to play more than half the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Bianco. We need more kicking and drive off half back.

I like Noble and I love Crisp, but their kicking lets them down. Noble can be dropped and Crisp can move onto a wing or something.

I want to see Bianco and Quaynor be our Houli/Short.

Hopefully Bianco. We need more kicking and drive off half back.

I like Noble and I love Crisp, but their kicking lets them down. Noble can be dropped and Crisp can move onto a wing or something.

I want to see Bianco and Quaynor be our Houli/Short.
I think Noble will end up being viewed as a very good kick.

My view would be non e of the 2019-20 class is likely to play half an AFL season next year. Our 2019 group are later draft picks, Ruscoe showed a little but the other 2 didn't play and will start by getting use to the VFL level. Most of the 2020 group played little footy in 2020 and its asking a lot for any of them to be AFL ready early in the season. A few debuts is what we are likely looking at , probably later in season.

Kelly, Keane and Murphy are the obvious ones who should be ready to find out if they are going to make the grade. The others are in in early development mode.

Kelly, Murphy, Ruscoe (Not that im particularly a big fan but I see a forward role there for him), Keane and Wilson

I was line ball on Rantall but was thinking he doesn't quite play 11

Surely out of eight players from this year, three from last year and two or three from the year before we can find a breakout player or three to make a serious impact in season 2020.

Add to that better luck with injury form and availability from Sidebottom Grundy Howe Sier Cox and DeGoey...can’t be too much to ask!

We will miss the potential upside from Stephenson. Not so much Treloar and Phillips

Last edited:
Player type wise - I think we need a couple of guys who can play high half forward/mid, a kpf and a pressure forward to step up. So Kelly, McCreery and a couple of: Rantall, McInnes, Macrae. Bloody big ask really.

I reckon our tall forward setup will stay pretty similar Cox/Mihocek/DeGoey. I think Kelly will only see game time if Cox's form is crap, which is possible.

For midfield, I'd expect Sier and Tyler to be given first opportunity in reality. Injuries may see an opening for Macrae, Reef, Rantall - or if their form demands it, which is a big ask I agree.

I reckon McCreery is really well positioned to play seniors, given our lack of depth in his position, and his experience in the SANFL.

I think our defence is settled and I'd only expect game time for Keane/Murphy if injuries hit. Moore/Roughead and Howe/Madgen will keep them out of the 22.

I reckon our tall forward setup will stay pretty similar Cox/Mihocek/DeGoey. I think Kelly will only see game time if Cox's form is crap, which is possible.

For midfield, I'd expect Sier and Tyler to be given first opportunity in reality. Injuries may see an opening for Macrae, Reef, Rantall - or if their form demands it, which is a big ask I agree.

I reckon McCreery is really well positioned to play seniors, given our lack of depth in his position, and his experience in the SANFL.

I think our defence is settled and I'd only expect game time for Keane/Murphy if injuries hit. Moore/Roughead and Howe/Madgen will keep them out of the 22.
I would hope Kelly and Keane can be more forward than that. Few years in the system so they should be knocking others out of the 22 not just be back up options.

From this year's set up, I'd leave out WHE and replace him with Kelly - Mihocek swinging to WHEs role. This is assuming Kelly's form scrapes through for a pass - which I think is all we can really hope for from him at this stage. I don't think it'd be too top heavy as with ruck and bench rotations you'd rarely have all of Cox, Mihocek and Kelly in the forward line at the same time.

Then give a try to McCreery and a couple of the young mids to replace guys like Phillips, Thomas and Stephenson

Last edited:

I'm bullish on Kelly for next year.

He will have his quiet games and stints in the 2s as required, but he is part of the solution going forward. I suspect he will be given every opportunity to cement a spot.

Thought Rusco showed a bit last year and (being stronger and fitter), this season, hope he goes on from there.

You would also hope Rantall comes on.

Of course, I want Wilson to finally break through and its time for he Irish lads and Kelly to start delivering.

From this year's set up, I'd leave out WHE and replace him with Kelly - Mihocek swinging to WHEs role. This is assuming Kelly's form scrapes through for a pass - which I think is all we can really hope for from him at this stage. I don't think it'd be too top heavy as with ruck and bench rotations you'd rarely have all of Cox, Mihocek and Kelly in the forward line at the same time.

Then give a try to McCreery and a couple of the young mids to replace guys like Phillips, Thomas and Stephenson

Too tall imo. I think its Cox or Kelly, and Cox has the inside run. I do think there's a tough decision there about whether to fast track Kelly's development but I reckon Bucks is too conservative for it. For WHE, I reckon Ruscoe, Henry or Reef are the options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who’s stepping up to play in 2021?

Back