Who are the S-Tier Under-23 talents of the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake98

Senior List
Suspended
Jul 28, 2024
AFL Club
Sydney
S-Tier as in the absolute best of the best players born in 2001 or later. There should be a clear gap in quality and value between this group of players and those who are the next rung down. Think players who would easily command three first round picks on the trade table.

For me it's (in no particular order): Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Nick Daicos, Sam Darcy, Jason Horne, Harry Sheezel, Harley Reid.

The next group down in the borderline/A-grade category would include: Ugle-Hagan, Will Day, Noah Anderson, Will Ashcroft, Riley Thilthorpe, Mac Andrew, Jye Amiss, Max Holmes, Luke Jackson, Caleb Serong, the list goes on. Again, you'd have to say there's a tangible gap in quality between these players and the S-tier names.

S-Tier as in the absolute best of the best players born in 2001 or later. There should be a clear gap in quality and value between this group of players and those who are the next rung down. Think players who would easily command three first round picks on the trade table.

For me it's (in no particular order): Chad Warner, Errol Gulden, Nick Daicos, Sam Darcy, Jason Horne, Harry Sheezel, Harley Reid.

The next group down in the borderline/A-grade category would include: Ugle-Hagan, Will Day, Noah Anderson, Will Ashcroft, Riley Thilthorpe, Mac Andrew, Jye Amiss, Max Holmes, Luke Jackson, Caleb Serong, the list goes on. Again, you'd have to say there's a tangible gap in quality between these players and the S-tier names.
Daicos Sheezel

Then the rest

Pretty harsh to have Caleb Serong below Harley Reid. By the end of the year Serong could be 2x AA, BnF. Could poll well in the Brownlow as well

• Banned
Pretty harsh to have Caleb Serong below Harley Reid. By the end of the year Serong could be 2x AA, BnF. Could poll well in the Brownlow as well
Because I'm not judging output, I'm judging talent. Output is only one part of the picture.

Caleb Serong is a good player, but he is a short accumulator who isn't very fast, lacks unique attributes and "X-factor". I doubt there would be a single club in the competition who would take him over Harley Reid if given the choice between the two, because Reid has that unique explosive power in his game, similar to Chris Judd.

Sam Darcy is another example where you can't just judge his talent on output alone. Hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Serong or even Kysaiah Pickett... but he's a 210cm 21 year old with exceptional skills and contested marking. He cannot be anything other than an absolute premium talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely talent is "only one part of the picture" too?

Plenty of so-called Highly Talented players have had mediocre outputs, due to attitude or laziness or just bad luck.

Spot on.

Never forget the hype Jarrad Waite had. He was even compared to Franklin, though most felt Franklin would end up better, some believed Waite was a better all round footballer.

Likewise, this "x-factor" or critique of being a short accumulator like OP brings up is why Sam Mitchell was overlooked or even disrespected, made a bloody good career of being another "short, slow accumulator who lacks X-Factor".

Likewise, this "x-factor" or critique of being a short accumulator like OP brings up is why Sam Mitchell was overlooked or even disrespected, made a bloody good career of being another "short, slow accumulator who lacks X-Factor".
Sam Mitchell is a textbook example of a quality player but clearly an echelon below the likes of Judd, Martin, Ablett Jnr, etc.

Holmes is just below but could be in that group in 1-2 seasons. I would take Serong in my first 3 selections of that group as well, he is a star.

Will Ashcroft is 2-3 games back off a knee reconstruction with no pre season and he is having 30 plus as well.

I’m pretty sure most Freo fans would rather lose Luke Jackson than Josh Treacy

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the S-Tier Under-23 talents of the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back