Who benefits most from the new coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look to the players who failed to meet expectations last season - especially those who didn't satisfy Macca's stringent demands. Some have already left of course, and some others were clearly thinking about it.

Hunter - after 2013 he looked set for a big year (was the BF time capsule most popular RS choice) but he disappointed. He might come on in 2015 like we expected him to do in 2014. Then he won't be borderline best 22 at all. He'll be a regular.

Wood - started 2014 in great form but mysteriously got dropped to the VFL half way through the year and was just OK in the latter part. He seemed reluctant to commit to the club but eventually signed a 1 year renewal. I'm hoping he will be reinvigorated, will find his early 2014 form again and will sign a longer term contract by about June.

Grant - he's on his last chance for about the fourth year in a row. Has undoubted ability but it's difficult to unlock. His best chance seems to be yet another new coach after he failed to kick on under Macca. If Bev can get him firing he will be a genius and it will be like having a ready made mature recruit.

Dahlhaus - he actually had a pretty good season but we didn't see the flair of previous years. Then it transpired he was one of the unhappy players under Macca. Like Hunter, Dahlhaus might show the further improvement in 2015 that we had expected in 2014.

Minson - we should finally get some better structures around him in 2015. Dog knows we need him at his best. This may in turn give some more opportunities to Campbell and/or Cordy.

Talia - it's mostly been said in earlier posts. Hugely disappointing output compared to pre-season expectations. I'm not sure if it was all Talia's fault, either.

Hrovat - I think he's Beveridge's sort of player and will get a lot of opportunities. Especially with Griffen and Cooney gone we need someone who can deliver the ball inside 50.

Finally, anyone over 195cm. MC seemed to have an aversion to them last year.

If his work at the Hawks is anything to go by, the entire backline. Fletcher Roberts seems like he would be his type of player though, excellent skills, smart, can intercept all at a good height. Bob Murphy, Sam Darley and Matt Fuller could be other candidates given how the Hawks used their halfbacks to attack.

First of all the fans. I get the feeling there will be more of a system to the game plan. I felt at times that Maccas mantra of contested ball footy affected the way the team actually entered the 50.
Always rushed and with no plan, hard ball footy is fantastic to teach kids to smash in, but you can't kill the flair, which I felt Macca did.
Ayce Cordy- will have to make every post a winner this year, last chance.
Hunter - Have heard there were a few within the club disappointed with his attitude last year. He got a kick up the arse and has apparently really turned himself around.
Talia- excited by him, he is a real good player. Bev will love him

Maybe I'm just missing something with Ayce Cordy. Don't see it, never have.

Every aspect of his game apart from his height is not up to AFL standard, don't think a coach can change that.

Maybe I'm just missing something with Ayce Cordy. Don't see it, never have.

Every aspect of his game apart from his height is not up to AFL standard, don't think a coach can change that.
He's simply no good. He's been in the system long enough to be getting a regular AFL game. And guy's like Redpath, and Campbell have simply been better at VFL level!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile in news from the ASX our business correspondent reports that while Beverage equities have risen sharply across the board there has been a slump in Kool-Aid stocks...Blue Circle Southern Cement has also reported a lift in expected revenues into 2015.

If J Grant gets a run at it I reckon he could benefit a lot. Taking the defender behind Stringer, Boyd and Crameri. Hell look at his form at the end of 2013 taking the best defender some weeks. Reckon he could be a massive point of improvement for us next year. If he plays 20 games, I'm calling 40 goals
If not he gets a gig as water boy

I think Dal played well under McCartney up forward and in the middle, but I'm tipping that he has a seriously good year up forward in 2015. Our forward structure will be vastly improved and he'll likely have a bit more freedom, and I think he'll benefit from that.

Hunter is a popular choice here. Perhaps his natural flair was inhibited by McCartney's approach, but it's worth noting that it's as much about his effort and application as it is the structures that he fits into. He's ridiculously talented, though. If he puts his head down and works hard, he'll do well.

And I have to say Honeychurch, don't I? The Drink will love the little concrete-head, and while there's a big gap between the VFL and the AFL, he was among the most influential players on the ground almost every week. It'll be interesting to see him play after another pre-season. I'd put this down more to progression than benefiting under a new system, though.

It'll be interesting to see if we make a few positional changes. If Roberts and Talia are playing, do we move Roughie forward at times? Can Bobby go forward and do some damage? Does the Bont rotate through every position on the ground in one match?

I'm hoping I benefit the most by having a few less grey hairs pop up after not having to sit through games asking myself and the good folk around me what the hell are we trying to do?

I'm hoping I benefit the most by having a few less grey hairs pop up after not having to sit through games asking myself and the good folk around me what the hell are we trying to do?

my reaction last year when we'd turn it over and would result in an opposition goal

I hope there is less of that reaction for me next year

Watching some of the Sydney game- gee I can wait till we've got genuine talls up forward. Makes the smalls life a lot easier. Also give us a get out when top teams don't give us a chance to silk it out of a stoppage. Players with a touch less skill should be able to kick long under pressure surely.

The creative types. Guys like Hunter, JJ, Macrae and Grant. I think they'll get more freedom to attack the game more often.

I also think Talia and Roberts are a good chance to be given more of a run.

It's a shame Tutt and Jones left. Think they could have played a good role for us.

Am I going to be the guy who says Tom Boyd?

He'll be looked after pretty well, and hopefully won't be forced to play as the one out tall all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who benefits most from the new coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back