Who comes in if (as suspected) Pontings finger is broken? And who bats at 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the sake of discussion, let's assume he's broken his finger and is out for the rest of the series.

A) Who comes in? Khawaja, Ferguson, or they could even bring in Marsh and move Hughes down the order to give him a shot there. If they do go that way, I'd be loathe to move Hussey out of the #5 position. It shouldn't make a difference between #4 and #5, but as Clarke's shown it can make a significant difference.

B) And who do we bat in the crucial #3 position? This decision takes on extra significance given that so far this series, when one of the openers has fallen we've lost at least one, usually two, more wickets very quickly. We need someone who can stand up. Is Clarke the only option? Do we dare play a debutant at #3? Open with Marsh and Hughes and put Watson at #3?

Over to you.

Koala, but not at number 3 yet. We're already playing a kid who's out of form and under a lot of pressure, we don't need a debutant batting in such an important position.

Don't move Hussey, he's our great white hope and that'd be a stupid thing to do. Clarke is in pretty average form so I suppose he can't do any worse at number 3, and play Khawaja at 4.

Edit: It wouldn't be crazy to pick a veteran type just to replace Punter for a few games, Jaques who's played before or hell, even White.

Hasn't David Hussey got like 500 odd runs at 50 this season, certainly wasn't under any pressure from tramlet like others are.

probably need a bit of steel in the top order knowing hughes is out of form, clarke is out of form, Smith is very young and haddin needs an adult to bat with him or else he goes out swinging.

I'd assume Koala would take his position, but not at #3, Clarke to go to #3

Type this in a few more threads, just in case someone missed it in one of the 15 or so other threads you posted it in.

Haddin can bat, he's been the no.3 batsman for results this series, ahead of many others. Most of his runs have been with Hussey, if hussey falls, he falls shortly after, hussey can hold and squeeze an extra 50 to 60 runs from the tail, haddin can't.

One off.

Boxing Day Test.

Ashes Decider.

Bring in Hodge

hodge has retired from the long form of the game, his form is unknown, it would be as bad as selecting a player out of form, or on "potential". You can do that wth a powerful team, but we are hanging on by a thread by and large over the past few months and we WILL celebrate if we can knock of the no.4 test team in the world and even the series after an innings thrashing a few days ago.

You'd think it'll be Khawaja but my money is on White. Great leader, great fielder and a decent batsman.

would make a great VC to clarke in years to come, as long as clarke lets white do the mundane on field 'day to day' management of the team and clarke makes the strategic decisions, like which restaurant to eat at, which gym to exercise at and which hotel to stay at.

Haddin can bat, he's been the no.3 batsman for results this series, ahead of many others. Most of his runs have been with Hussey, if hussey falls, he falls shortly after, hussey can hold and squeeze an extra 50 to 60 runs from the tail, haddin can't.

hodge has retired from the long form of the game, his form is unknown, it would be as bad as selecting a player out of form, or on "potential". You can do that wth a powerful team, but we are hanging on by a thread by and large over the past few months and we WILL celebrate if we can knock of the no.4 test team in the world and even the series after an innings thrashing a few days ago.

Yeah I wasn't been serious though it would make for a large hometown crowd.

Khawaja is the only possible batsman they can bring in unless they go for Marsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to say Khawaja, but he got yet another start which he failed to go on with today. Tough to pick him based on that, but hopefully he'll have a second innings to impress.

Other options are Ferguson, who has been good but a bit up and down, and needs to show more IMO. Ditto White, though I'd still have him slightly ahead. Jaques is in shitful form, as is Klinger. Truth be told, Marsh could get a gig, but NOT as an opener! He doesn't open any more!

Also, I'd have Clarke at 3, Hussey at 4. When the top order is being run through so quickly, one batting position isn't going to make much difference.

So that's:

Watson
Hughes
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja/White/Ferguson/Marsh
Smith
Haddin
etc...

Bat Marsh at 3, only problem will be when he makes runs can you drop him when Punter returns? Khawarja(sp?) should be in the team as well but can he bat 3 and face the new ball if Hughes goes early again?

I would like D Hussey, White and then Kwaja in order of preference to come in but as for who bats at 3 I have no idea. I think Clarke is pathetic and needs to be dropped so that rules him out for me but as said M Hussey should not be moved up as we need him coming in later to save our @$$es.

Has to be Clarke at three. He'll be the captain and will want to take the extra responsibility.

Khawaja seems to have dropped off a bit which will hurt his chances. Another 50 for Marsh today won't hurt. I still think David Hussey as a short-term measure would strengthen the side a lot more than putting one of the younger guys in for the experience.

Finger didn't look that bad.

If he misses, I bet Marcus gets another run and everone else shifts up.

It's disappointing that all the major contenders are failing at the moment. Maddinson is the nation's form batsmen.

Finger didn't look that bad.

If he misses, I bet Marcus gets another run and everone else shifts up.
Haha, watch this board explode if North gets picked for the Boxing Day test.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back