Who did better from their time at the bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

ringo200

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton and Melbourne are the two clubs since the draft system started that have taken bottoming out to the extreme and gone all out for high draft picks. So who did better out of their time at the bottom, only counting these very high draft picks.

Carlton -

Josh Kennedy - Pick 4
Marc Murphy - Pick 1
Bryce Gibbs - Pick 1
Matthew Kreuzer - Pick 1

Melbourne -

Cale Morton - Pick 4
Jack Watts - Pick 1
Tom Scully - Pick 1
Jack Trengove - Pick 2

To early to say but I love Melbournes whole list.
Adopted them a few years ago as a bit of a soft spot side and Its exciting watching the team grow together right now. Think on paper the Carlton picks sound superior right now but perhaps the dees overall list and chemistry has greater potential IMO.

Carlton's picks were good and who can remember the game for Kruezer. However, when recruiting you need to recruit to suit your team. Melbourne decided to go all young and kept a smattering of "oldies" and restructured a team that is starting to look like a team. Carlton recruited for immediate impact, but while bolstering their on- ball division, they have no core or skeleton. In the long run Melbourne will prove to have chosen the correct path as Carlton flounder around mid-table for the next 10 years. :cool:

First up - the Blues "time at the bottom" was a one-off, and won't happen again.

Now, the top 5 picks. Murph, Gibbs and Kruezer have all been outstanding, and Gibbs was the most talented #1 pick of the decade. The Dees should have taken Nick Nat over Watts - so that's a negative. Don't rate Morton. Scully and Trengrove should be good though. The Blues traded JK to get Judd. So the Blues win on this score comfortably. And in addition they've drafted much better than the Dees and have a lot more list talent all over the park. Plus the Blues player development facilities are the best in the comp, and that gives them a further advantage. The Blues have also added 2 more top-shelf talents to their list - Lucus and Hendo, while offloading 2 experienced players in Fev and Stevens. So they are doing a little mini-rebuild on their way toward their next premiership. The Blues list just oozes talent and class on every lines, although still very inexperienced.

:)

First up - the Blues "time at the bottom" was a one-off, and won't happen again.

Now, the top 5 picks. Murph, Gibbs and Kruezer have all been outstanding, and Gibbs was the most talented #1 pick of the decade. The Dees should have taken Nick Nat over Watts - so that's a negative. Don't rate Morton. Scully and Trengrove should be good though. The Blues traded JK to get Judd. So the Blues win on this score comfortably. And in addition they've drafted much better than the Dees and have a lot more list talent all over the park. Plus the Blues player development facilities are the best in the comp, and that gives them a further advantage. The Blues have also added 2 more top-shelf talents to their list - Lucus and Hendo, while offloading 2 experienced players in Fev and Stevens. So they are doing a little mini-rebuild on their way toward their next premiership. The Blues list just oozes talent and class on every lines, although still very inexperienced.

I agree with everything written, post of the century, I am all most crying at how good this post is, the Mona Lisa of posts.

It's really hard to judge between Melbourne and Carlton at the moment simply because of the development of the players at present with most of the melbourne guys playing less than 5 games. For that reason I went with Carlton

Really like Bryce Gibbs as a player. I reckon he just outshines Murphy. Ruck is always a hard position to judge, but Kreuzer looks flexible and a good long term player

Carlton's trio of 1st draft picks are great but they lack depth throughout the list. Melbourne have a much better even spread of talent.
Thanks for your concern, but I'm not unhappy with our list balance going forward.

Heath Scotland:Cam Bruce
Andrew Carrazzo:Clint Bartram
Ryan Houlihan:Brad Green
Chris Judd:Brent Moloney
Bret Thornton:Joel MacDonald
Jarrad Waite:Brad Millar
Kade Simpson:Aaron Davey
Matthew Kreuzer:Mark Jamar
Shaun Hampson:Jack Fitzpatrick
Robert Warnock:Max Gawn
Sam Jacobs:paul Johnson
Lachlan Henderson:Jack Watts
Paul Bower:Colin Garland
Bryce Gibbs: Jackson Trengove
Marc Murphy:Tom Scully
Kane Lucas:Cale Morton
Chris Yarran:Austin Wonneamirri
Jeff Garlett:Neville Jetta
Eddie Betts:Addam Maric
Mitch Robinson:Ricky Petterd
Shaun Grigg: Jack Grimes
Brock Mclean: Jordan Gysberts
Andrew Walker:Colin Sylvia
Michael Jamison:James Frawley
Mark Austin:Matthew Warnock
Rohan Kerr:Sam Blease
Jordan Russell:Matthew Bate
Marcus Davies:Luke Tapscott
Aaron Joseph:Jamie Bennell
Dylan Buckley (A jet and a Father-Son pick in 2011): Nathan Jones
Rhys O'Keeffe:James Strauss
Caleb Tiller:Jordie MacKenzie
Dennis Armfield:Rohan Bail
Peter Labi (International rookie from PNG with Garlett's pace and skill):Liam Jurrah
Simon White:Jared Rivers
Chris Johnson: Daniel Bell
Steven Browne:Kyle Cheney
Nick Stevens:James McDonald ;)
Levi Casboult:John Meesen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're including future picks? LOL, now that's desperate. If you're going to do that then at least do the same for Melbourne, Jack Viney :thumbsu:

Daniel Rich's son is going to be so good. Sure he hasn't even been conceived, let alone born yet, but just you wait and see.

:)
It's just old now. Nobody bites.

Daniel Rich's son is going to be so good. Sure he hasn't even been conceived, let alone born yet, but just you wait and see.

I'm sure he will be. For GWS! Just kidding. I'm sure every player on your list will have boys and in 20yrs you will have a list of guns, just like geelong does now.

Carlton's top picks look better on paper but i refuse to vote for them for two reasons.

1) They have too many arrogant shits running the club and as supporters

2) Jack Watts

A couple of points comparing Carlton and Melbourne.

Jack Watts will be a lot better than everyone (bar Melbourne supporters) is predicting.

I think Melbourne have drafted really well, instead of just picking midfielder after Midfielder after midfielder.....hell, Carlton even traded one of their promising KPP for..........ANOTHER MIDFIELDER!!

Melbourne also seem to be displaying a lot of heart, which is another thing they have over Carlton. Their players run both ways.

I expect the Dees to be playing finals footy within two years, and the culture that they are instilling won't allow them to blow 5 goal 3/4 time leads.

Melbourne by a fair bit IMO.

I went for carlton because we were able to recruit Judd in a trade. Will be very interesting to revisit in ten years.

Hard to argue with that. It's too early to call on the young players as Carlton's have found their feet while Melbourne's haven't as yet so Judd sways this massively in Carlton's favour. A few years are needed to make a final call, but at this stage it's fairly clear.

Carlton and Melbourne are the two clubs since the draft system started that have taken bottoming out to the extreme and gone all out for high draft picks. So who did better out of their time at the bottom, only counting these very high draft picks.

Carlton -

Josh Kennedy - Pick 4
Marc Murphy - Pick 1
Bryce Gibbs - Pick 1
Matthew Kreuzer - Pick 1

Melbourne -

Cale Morton - Pick 4
Jack Watts - Pick 1
Tom Scully - Pick 1
Jack Trengove - Pick 2

Needs a Hawks option, they tanked as much as Melbourne, but less than the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who did better from their time at the bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back