Who do you guys rate as the biggest threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish.

Let's recap the 2007 PF, which I assume is the "Collingwood was damn close" game you are referring to:
- Collingwood dictated the terms of the game and made it a defensive struggle
- Geelong (players and coaching staff) did not react well to Collingwood's tactics, leaving the Magpies in a position to dictate terms
- Geelong appeared very nervous and afraid to take risks in this match. IMO the occasion got to them. Collingwood had nothing to lose and played accordingly. Geelong had everything to lose and played very cautiously.
- This was Geelong's worst performance of the last 20 weeks of the season, against an in form team.
- Given all these factors, Geelong still won.

Geelong's biggest weakness going into last year's finals was that we were unproven in big games. This is no longer an issue (a record breaking GF win will do that;)). The confidence level in the team is now much higher and I would dare say that the next time we play Collingwood we will be far more proactive and play the game on our terms. Then we will see how good Collingwood really are, and I truly believe that unless they can totally dictate the terms of the game, they don't come close to the Cats.

Adelaide and Sydney were being roundly condemned 3 weeks as going to struggle this year. I am not going to place any credence in such a small sample size of performance. They are still lower rung top 8 teams IMO

Hawthorn maybe? I agree, but it is only a maybe.

Although I don't think Kangaroos and Port are massive threats (look at what we did to them last year, and they have not improved this year) to say they overachieved in nonsense. No-one overachieves, you achieve what you achieve. You may exceed expectations, but overachieving is a myth.

So, I go back to my original statement:

Injuries are our biggest threat. At full strength, no-one can touch us.

You're forgetting Geelong aren't spooked by the big stage. If you were right in saying the occasion got to us, then why did we smash Port in the BIGGEST game of the year just one week later? Why did we smash the Kangas the week before in front of a large crowd on our first finals game? Why did Collingwood also come close to beating us during the year? If you look at the statistics, it was Collingwood's pressure through tackling, not defensive tactics like flooding, that allowed them to come so close.

I think some people are forgetting that Geelong never beat Hawthorn last year, so it'll be an interesting one this time around as we've always had trouble against them -- they just have more depth this year (according to Nathan Thompson) so it'll be even more difficult.

Collingwood will always be a danger. Their pressure really tests us and are one of the very few teams that knows how to give Geelong a contest.

Come on we lost by 4 points in tassie before we went on a roll. The Geelong of the of the first 5 rounds in 2007 doesn't count.

Geelong are obviously always favorites against any team.

Dunno about Collingwood beating ya's in a home and away game but watch out if they play Geelong in the finals(again) :thumbsu:

Definitely most worried about Adelaide this year, super organised, a good combination of experience and youth. As long as they keep playing attacking they'll do very well.

I'm a firm believer that you need a good defence to win a premiership and I don't think Hawthorn have that. Campbell Brown is great, but overall they have an average backline. For the same reason I'm not convinced about St Kilda.

Not so sure Collingwood will go as well this year, they are always a competitive team, but Clement is a huge loss, maybe not the best defender but a consistent important player.

St Kilda have Adelaides measure? What makes you say that?

If you are referring to the NAB cup victory, I suggest you look at the revised score with supergoals considered regular goals... And this is forgetting the fact that it was a practice match. The Crows have the defence to stop St Kilda's only strength.

You're forgetting Geelong aren't spooked by the big stage. If you were right in saying the occasion got to us, then why did we smash Port in the BIGGEST game of the year just one week later? Why did we smash the Kangas the week before in front of a large crowd on our first finals game? Why did Collingwood also come close to beating us during the year? If you look at the statistics, it was Collingwood's pressure through tackling, not defensive tactics like flooding, that allowed them to come so close.

I think the reason we played poorly in the preliminary final, as opposed to the week before and week after, can be put down to two factors.

1. Both the Kangaroos and Port Adelaide were talking themselves up during the week before they played us. Laidley was saying they were equal to us, or something like that, and Williams was saying he already had a spot to put the premiership photo at Alberton. I actually think the worst thing the Kangaroos did was run through our huddle in the warm-up half an hour before the game. If we weren't fired up before, that certainly did it.

2. The consequence of losing in the preliminary final IMO was a lot higher than losing the other two games. If we lost the qualifying final, we'd have lived to fight another day. We didn't have that luxury in the preliminary final. Everyone expected us to make the grand final, and I think the players felt that pressure, resulting in them going into their shells a bit. Once we had made it, the pressure had lifted somewhat, allowing the team to go back to what they did for most the season.

That's my take on it any way.

I think the reason we played poorly in the preliminary final, as opposed to the week before and week after, can be put down to two factors.

1. Both the Kangaroos and Port Adelaide were talking themselves up during the week before they played us. Laidley was saying they were equal to us, or something like that, and Williams was saying he already had a spot to put the premiership photo at Alberton. I actually think the worst thing the Kangaroos did was run through our huddle in the warm-up half an hour before the game. If we weren't fired up before, that certainly did it.

2. The consequence of losing in the preliminary final IMO was a lot higher than losing the other two games. If we lost the qualifying final, we'd have lived to fight another day. We didn't have that luxury in the preliminary final. Everyone expected us to make the grand final, and I think the players felt that pressure, resulting in them going into their shells a bit. Once we had made it, the pressure had lifted somewhat, allowing the team to go back to what they did for most the season.

That's my take on it any way.

This is absolutely spot on.

You could see the pressure had been lifted for the GF, because we had confronted our demons in the Prelim.

The thought that we may play cautiously because of this "fear of failure" was my biggest (and probably only) concern going into the finals last year.

The scary thing for the rest of the comp is that this "fear of failure" that we played with in this game is no longer a factor.

Good times.

Geelong are still a class on their own, but its a long season.
I think Footscray, Collingwood and Hawthorn have room to improve.
St Kilda could yet get their shit together, but I'm not putting money on it.

Anyone still worried about Collingwood? Not so much the fact they lost, more that they scored only 88 points against a team which has conceded over 100 points for its past 20 odd games, including a couple of games against the injury ridden Doggies and Melbourne teams of mid-2007. Ie, against easily the worst defence in the game...

Not trying to be biased or anything but The cats and Dogs have had some great games over the years. Very similar players and game style etc.

I rate our attacking as good as the cats but defensively you have us measured a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone still worried about Collingwood? Not so much the fact they lost, more that they scored only 88 points against a team which has conceded over 100 points for its past 20 odd games, including a couple of games against the injury ridden Doggies and Melbourne teams of mid-2007. Ie, against easily the worst defence in the game...

The magpies have a history of losing to bottom sides. Last year they lost to Richmond for instance. I actually tipped Carlton to win, based on that. However, Collingwood seem to switch on when they are playing good sides, which is why they are so dangerous. They are similiar to Adelaide; can never ever count them out, even if they aren't doing so well.

Hawthorn is our biggest threat IMO. Franklin is near unstoppable, Adelaide's defence is no sieve, to kick six goals past them is a darn good effort. Roughead and Williams are a handful too. This is not altogether overly worrying because he have a great defence. Secondly, they have a strong midfield, Hodge, Mitchell, lesser extent Crawford, possibly don't have the depth of rotation through the midfield like we do, but they have talent nonetheless. I've watched them a bit this year and I reckon they've got talent all over the park, so definitely capable of beating. Of course I think we are still the better side at this stage, but I don't think we are head and shoulders above everyone as we're currently being lead to believe.

Collingwood will be up there. Wouldnt read too much into their losses to bottom sides. I think if anyone can understand that its a Geelong supporter! ;) The Pies are slightly disadvantaged in a sense because every side sets themselves to play them eg. Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Richmond, the lsit goes on. Every week they play a side that is raring to go, big crowds etc. The flip side of this is that come finals they are much more accustomed to finals type atmosphere. They are a threat but I rate them slightly lowe than the Hawks

Swans a minor threat, can't see them beating us though to be honest. Adelaide - very minor. St Kilda dont worry me at all

Haven't really even considered the Dogs. They deserve respect for the way they've started this season. Remember how horrid we were in 06 and then what happened last year. However, the Dogs are going to continue to have problems with lack of key position players. Johnson cant do everything - particularly against a side like us. I dont view them as a threat yet but ask me again in two months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you guys rate as the biggest threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back