Who do you want Ling standing next to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nasma

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Opening bounce- Ablett, Bartel and Ling line up on Hayes, Dal Santo and Jones. Who do we want Ling standing next to? We know he can shut down NDS, he's done it so many times that it's easy to forget how good a player Nick can be, just look at his performance last week. On the other hand, Hayes has been brilliant, killed us in the last quarter in Rd14 and gets them clearance after clearance. I get the feeling he'd be harder to stop, but I think Ling would be up to it. I have a suspicion that this move might be something deliberately not used in Rd14, preserving it for when it counts.

Obviously Ling and Thompson have a much better idea about who he'd be effective on, so whoever he does tag is probably the right choice. That said, I'm hoping Hayes.

EDIT: I forgot to put a question mark in the poll question. Forgive me.

Hayes is a clearance machine & feeds the ball to Riewoldt & Montagna. Stop him and you stop the Saints attack. Clearly Saints most important player.

NDS.

Hayes is a gun but will often just kick the ball as hard as he can from the centre square towards his goal (as does Ling). He's renowned for his toughness etc, but not silky skills.

If we don't tag NDS and he gets 25+ touches, there's a fair chance at least quarter of them will end up on the chest of Riewoldt without giving our defenders a chance to spoil.

If Lingy goes to Dal Santo then Im confident that he can shut him down as he has done before. We cant allow dal to get out on his own and hit up leads and we know he doesnt like to get the hard ball. If lingy went to Hayes then im not so confident he can shut him down completely and so i would let hayes and selwood go head to head and cancel each other out. If ablett can burn jones then we are ahead in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ling to Nicky Dal..

Selwood goes head to head with hayes..

The only way this works is if selwood tags hayes. Not head to head.
Selwood in my eyes has been slightly down on form.

Even if you set him the tag (and you know he would follow instruction) he will still crash packs.

I said Ling to Hayes, but I worry about Ling scragging as Hayes goes to the ball himself.

Not worrying though. The cats brains trust will be all over this. Far, far more than any worry of kosi and roo.

I think NDS is the way to go, everyone one knows he struggles to break tags. If you can cut his impact in half i think it would be better than taking lenny to 80%.

Goddard and Fisher running off half back worry me more than the gay lisp of NDS

Del Santo is more damaging with his disposals, so definitely Ling to him.

I hope Gazza starts at half forward next to Big Bad Cam just in case the opposition have some misplaced ideas at the first bounce.

I'd actually like to see Ablett, Rooke & Corey start. Hopefully Ablett and Corey can steal a jump on the opposition while the rest are distracted puffing there chest out proving they won't be intimidated by Max.

My vote went to Dal, but I really wouldn't mind which of the 2 he tags.

Dal doesn't like a hard tag and can be easily shut out of the game reducing their number of effecient midfielder.

Hayes is the engine room, doesn't stop running and gets the hard ball, stop that and we win te midfield battle.

Ling can stop either, just a question which one can do more damage without a tag, so Dal gets my vote for his better skills than Hayes. Dal can pin point passes to their forwards where Lenny tends to bomb it in.

NDS
I have confidence in Ablett, Bartel, Selwood and Corey beating Lenny in contested situations.
Nick seems to be pushing a bit further back atm as well, Ling can hurt him more going the other way, and i feel Ling can keep NDS to 10-15 touches whereas i cant see him really having the same effect on Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you want Ling standing next to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back