List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I know there is a draft element to one of other topics but I thought it would be good to have a specific draft one to get peoples thoughts.

This is based on what you think might be available around 12 and maybe couple around 20 if that deal for two pics gets done with WC:

Here are mine

for 12

1. Sam Sturt has as much upside as anyone in the draft. He is a lightening HFF/Third tall who has beautiful skills. He smashed the TAC in the second half of the year when he joined after only playing school footy. Tested brilliantly for jumping, speed and agility. He is a natural goal score who knows where they are and that is what we need.

2. Xav O: Inside outside mid with speed and quality disposal. I think we have too many 1 paced ball winners and although this kid wins his own ball he also has speed to break the lines. Great leadership as supposedly.

3. Jordan Clark: One of the best kicks in the draft. Loves to take the game on off HB and can defend one on one whilst also punishing his opponents going the other way. Played league in WA late in the season and didn't look out of place averaging 15 touches.

4. Xav: Duursma: Very similar to the other Xavier.

Around 20:

Chayce Jones: Tasmian who is a hard as nails mid. Kicks well on both sides and is another "inside" mid who has good pace. Like Sturt he tested really well at the combine and I am almost certain if he played in VIC he would be more highly touted. Could go much earlier as I have no feel for how each clubs rates them.

Jez Mclennan: Could be a stretch this high and might go a bit later but could be one of the steals of the draft for mine. He is just a ready made footballer who reads the game very well and is brilliant at intercepting across half back. Takes the game on the second he lands after taking an intercept mark and is a neat kick. Could play on taller opponents at the next level because he is such a great competitor. Reminds me a little of the great Boris Enright because he just reads the game so well.

Ian Hill: I really think this guy could slip because he has had a down year but has ridiculous speed and forward craft.

Curtis Taylor: Another like Sturt who is born to play in the forward line but might be able to push into the midfield as a decent size mid later in his career. Has a bit of the freak about him again a bit like Menzel pre knees. Not sure about his endurance or overall production because I haven't watched him enough but he has that "could be anything feel about him".

I want X’Oh to be in the hoops next year.
But not using pick 12 on him.
This is why I want pick 20-22 perfect range to get him drafted there

I think you'll get your wish by Wednesday night. I've said all along I'd be more than happy with picks 20 and 22 or one of those and the Eagles 2019 first round pick. I think some people on here think you can only pick up elite players in the top 10/15 and the rest will be duds. That's crazy stuff.

We will look back at this draft in a few years and see players taken in the 20's, 30's and 40's that become better players than some of the top 15. It happens every year. Nothing wrong with picks 20 and 22, it's a good outcome turning pick 24 (Kelly) into those two picks in only 12-months in my view. I also don't want to keep a player that doesn't want to be at my club. Good riddance.

Anyway, I'm also keen on O'Halloran. Pretty keen on RCD too. I'll be pretty excited having picks 12, 20 and 22 - lots of good options will be available at those picks.

I think you'll get your wish by Wednesday night. I've said all along I'd be more than happy with picks 20 and 22 or one of those and the Eagles 2019 first round pick. I think some people on here think you can only pick up elite players in the top 10/15 and the rest will be duds. That's crazy stuff.

We will look back at this draft in a few years and see players taken in the 20's, 30's and 40's that become better players than some of the top 15. It happens every year. Nothing wrong with picks 20 and 22, it's a good outcome turning pick 24 (Kelly) into those two picks in only 12-months in my view. I also don't want to keep a player that doesn't want to be at my club. Good riddance.

Anyway, I'm also keen on O'Halloran. Pretty keen on RCD too. I'll be pretty excited having picks 12, 20 and 22 - lots of good options will be available at those picks.

Good to see another person on the same wave length.
Take 3 picking in the top 22
Yes please

I know there is a draft element to one of other topics but I thought it would be good to have a specific draft one to get peoples thoughts.

This is based on what you think might be available around 12 and maybe couple around 20 if that deal for two pics gets done with WC:

Here are mine

for 12

1. Sam Sturt has as much upside as anyone in the draft. He is a lightening HFF/Third tall who has beautiful skills. He smashed the TAC in the second half of the year when he joined after only playing school footy. Tested brilliantly for jumping, speed and agility. He is a natural goal score who knows where they are and that is what we need.

2. Xav O: Inside outside mid with speed and quality disposal. I think we have too many 1 paced ball winners and although this kid wins his own ball he also has speed to break the lines. Great leadership as supposedly.

3. Jordan Clark: One of the best kicks in the draft. Loves to take the game on off HB and can defend one on one whilst also punishing his opponents going the other way. Played league in WA late in the season and didn't look out of place averaging 15 touches.

4. Xav: Duursma: Very similar to the other Xavier.

Around 20:

Chayce Jones: Tasmian who is a hard as nails mid. Kicks well on both sides and is another "inside" mid who has good pace. Like Sturt he tested really well at the combine and I am almost certain if he played in VIC he would be more highly touted. Could go much earlier as I have no feel for how each clubs rates them.

Jez Mclennan: Could be a stretch this high and might go a bit later but could be one of the steals of the draft for mine. He is just a ready made footballer who reads the game very well and is brilliant at intercepting across half back. Takes the game on the second he lands after taking an intercept mark and is a neat kick. Could play on taller opponents at the next level because he is such a great competitor. Reminds me a little of the great Boris Enright because he just reads the game so well.

Ian Hill: I really think this guy could slip because he has had a down year but has ridiculous speed and forward craft.

Curtis Taylor: Another like Sturt who is born to play in the forward line but might be able to push into the midfield as a decent size mid later in his career. Has a bit of the freak about him again a bit like Menzel pre knees. Not sure about his endurance or overall production because I haven't watched him enough but he has that "could be anything feel about him".
I think Wells will pull the trigger early and go for Sturt also with Pick 12... Unless one of the Kings slips to us, but very unlikely.

Sturt sounds like Billie Smedts II. I’m sick of those versatile flanker types. Would rather a quality pure mid, someone who racks it up and has good foot skills under pressure.

I could be wrong but I thought Billie was more of a mid at junior level. This guy is just a natural goal scorer in the sense that you can't teach what he has. Just knows where they are and was good for about 3 a game in the second half of the year.

I could be wrong but I thought Billie was more of a mid at junior level. This guy is just a natural goal scorer in the sense that you can't teach what he has. Just knows where they are and was good for about 3 a game in the second half of the year.

Im reasonably sure Smedts played most of his junior footy at HBF, but could be wrong.

We are lacking for natural goal kickers so that at least would address a need. I just have an aversion to reading that our draft picks are versatile and can play in a range of positions. Jack of all trades...

Im reasonably sure Smedts played most of his junior footy at HBF, but could be wrong.

We are lacking for natural goal kickers so that at least would address a need. I just have an aversion to reading that our draft picks are versatile and can play in a range of positions. Jack of all trades...

Well Sturt is simply a goal kicker that might be able to go into the midfield later in his career. Although it seems every talented kid will "go into the midfield later in their career. At worst he remains a natural goal kicker.

Sturt sounds like Billie Smedts II. I’m sick of those versatile flanker types. Would rather a quality pure mid, someone who racks it up and has good foot skills under pressure.
Don't think so... Averaged a solid 5 goals a game in some Under 19 league, across 5 games. Talent there for sure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the odds of Wells reaching for McHenry? We almost need to trade Kelly to get pick 20 to take him instead of pinging early at 12 :huh:

At 12 I don't mind what we take so long as it is not another bloody reach job. Nation wide consensus best available.

You will also see an awful lot of duds taken after pick 15.

A bit far out from draft day but here we go...

Pick 12. Bailey Williams.
Too early?? Only because he would not be there at Pick 20 IMO. GWS Hawks Crows Tigers Suns would be prime candidates to swoop.
Picks 20 & 22.
Any of the following would do me.... Chayce Jones, Ely Smith, Sam Sturt, Xavier, O'Halloran, Ned McHenry.
Pick 43. Nathan Krueger
Pick 50. Oscar Brownless
Pick 99. Connor Idun

FWIW. Only thing that might bar us from selecting Sam Sturt is that Krueger is a similar type.

A bit far out from draft day but here we go...

Pick 12. Bailey Williams.
Too early?? Only because he would not be there at Pick 20 IMO. GWS Hawks Crows Tigers Suns would be prime candidates to swoop.
Picks 20 & 22.
Any of the following would do me.... Chayce Jones, Ely Smith, Sam Sturt, Xavier, O'Halloran, Ned McHenry.
Pick 43. Nathan Krueger
Pick 50. Oscar Brownless
Pick 99. Connor Idun

FWIW. Only thing that might bar us from selecting Sam Sturt is that Krueger is a similar type.

I am extremely averse to picking B williams at 12. Just screams potential bust to me and I actually think that he is more similar to Kreuger than Sturt.

If it’s 12, 20 and 22 then I’d love Hartley at 12, and Chayce Jones and Xavier O’Halloran in the 20s. That way we get 2 teal cup captains in I think, on top of the next gen mids to go with Fogarty, Constable, Parfit, etc. So we build up our critical mass of young leaders as well. Maybe one of these choices could be for a mid with ripping speed, in which case I’m not sure.

XOH for mine. I've heard rumblings that Geelong wants a top 10 pick so that on trade night it can negotiate itself higher up the order. Prospects like Smith and Rozee being considered. I would love a scenario where we could pick up pick 9 or 11 and then trade them for 5 and 16-20, and pick up Smith or Rozee and XOH as well. Those 3 (also Walsh and Rankine but no chance on either of them) are my dream pick-ups. Wouldn't mind Williams if we got him either.

Coming out of trade and draft period with Smith/Rozee, XOH, Dahlhaus, Kreuger, Brownless, Rohan and maybe even Atkins if we finally give him a run, would be a dream come true

Last edited:
If it’s 12, 20 and 22 then I’d love Hartley at 12, and Chayce Jones and Xavier O’Halloran in the 20s. That way we get 2 teal cup captains in I think, on top of the next gen mids to go with Fogarty, Constable, Parfit, etc. So we build up our critical mass of young leaders as well. Maybe one of these choices could be for a mid with ripping speed, in which case I’m not sure.

Yeah we might take Hately but I doubt he lasts. He is a no frills big mid who is brilliant at the contested ball and clearances. The only issue with him is I suspect Constable is very similar and I am not sure it is an area of need. However, as the best available if he makes it to 12 maybe he is just too good to pass on. Absolutely terrific kid with great character though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back