List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a better player and for our central clearance needs, this guy is the bees knees.
He was 5th in the Morrish Medal.
Won the B+F for the bushies like Clayton Oliver.
Was Finally brought in the Vic Country squad for the last game against WA. Was close best on ground in a losing game with game high 32 disposals and 10 clearances.
Sam Walsh had 30 possessions playing with Ely in the middle.
A player like Sturt might kick a few in the strongest TAC team but what did he do against strong opposition in the carnival?
In Ely's cameo he out pointed Sam Walsh who's clise enough no1 in the draft.
Against Walsh and the Geelong Falcons Ely Smith had 37 possessions in the Falcons lowest losing score all time.
His Combine was sensational and he was called up for a late game with Collingwood VFL and kicked a goal.
He's ready to go at 188/87kg will play AFL like Worpel managed in his first year.
His output is prodigious better than Worpel.

So, you're basing your assessment on two games? Also, I'd say his output is comparable to Worpel's, but definitely not better. Also, considering Worpel played two years of U18 carnivals and excelled at both. Here are their TAC stats:

worpel v smith.png

So, you're basing your assessment on two games? Also, I'd say his output is comparable to Worpel's, but definitely not better. Also, considering Worpel played two years of U18 carnivals and excelled at both. Here are their TAC stats:

View attachment 580430

I think if you looked at the second half of the season his numbers exceed.
You forgot to color his "best numbers" green, and twice he out pointed Walsh, no fluke.
37 against the Falcons and 32 against WA in his first and only Carnival opportunity.
I reckon he's come on in a big way.
He kicks Sturt's arse.

Last edited:

You forgot to color his best numbers green and twice he out pointed Walsh, no fluke.
37 against the Falcons and 32 against WA in his first and only Carnival opportunity.
He kicks Sturt's arse.

Sturt and Smith played different positions. I think if Smith played the forward role that Sturt played he wouldn't have fared as well. Besides, Wells likes his draftees to be versatile, I don't see Smith playing any role other than inside midfield.

Sturt and Smith played different positions. I think if Smith played the forward role that Sturt played he wouldn't have fared as well. Besides, Wells likes his draftees to be versatile, I don't see Smith playing any role other than inside midfield.

Get the blinkers off this guy could play anywhere.
Please list Sturt's 30+ games or carnival performances there wasn't any apart from getting an easy ride in the strongest term.
Give us his amazing stats?
I know who l'd put my money on one on one.
Get serious the guy finished 5th in the Morrish, so does that make him 5th best Victorian?...Maybe,.. it's debatable.

Last edited:
Get the blinkers off this guy could play anywhere.
Please list Sturt's 30+ games or carnival performances there wasn't any apart from getting an easy ride in the strongest term.
Give us his amazing stats?
I know who l'd put my money on one on one.
Get serious the guy finished 5th in the Morrish, so does that make him 5th best Victorian?...Maybe,.. it's debatable.

There is so much logically wrong with this post I honestly don't know where to start:
  • "Please list Sturt's 30+ games or carnival performances there wasn't any"
    • Sturt plays high half forward, name me any player that has 30+ playing that role.
  • "Give us his amazing stats?"
    • They play completely different roles, of course you can't compare with stats.
  • "Get serious the guy finished 5th in the Morrish."
    • Here's a list of recent Morrish medal WINNERS (not 5th), tell me which ones you wish we drafted:
2008 Farran Priest
2009 Anton Woods
2010 Jackson Sketcher
2011 Alex Benbow
2013 Jacob Chisari
2013 Ben Cavarra
2013 George Cameron
2013 Josh Scott
2014 Alex Carr​

There is so much logically wrong with this post I honestly don't know where to start:
    • Sturt plays high half forward, name me any player that has 30+ playing that role.
    • Here's a list of recent Morrish medal WINNERS (not 5th), tell me which ones you wish we drafted:
2008 Farran Priest
2009 Anton Woods
2010 Jackson Sketcher
2011 Alex Benbow
2013 Jacob Chisari
2013 Ben Cavarra
2013 George Cameron
2013 Josh Scott
2014 Alex Carr​

That's why 5th is better lol!
Mate he'd break Sturt in half. We're getting slaughtered in clearances and you want another friggin HFF lol!
The guy wins massive numbers tackles like there's no tomorrow and outplayed Sam Walsh every time, at TAC and State level.

He's fast ( check the combine ) big leap agile and fit (yoyo test) and an extremely powerful tackler and strong in the air.
We need first use that's where we get done, it's been going on far to long.
Please present Sturt's stats if he's a must have shouldn't be to difficult.
Billy Smedts 2.0

Last edited:
That's why 5th is better lol!
Mate he'd break Sturt in half. We're getting slaughtered in clearances and you want another friggin HFF lol!
The guy wins massive numbers tackles like there's no tomorrow and outplayed Sam Walsh every time, at TAC and State level.

He's fast ( check the combine ) big leap agile and fit (yoyo test) and an extremely powerful tackler and strong in the air.
We need first use that's where we get done, it's been going on far to long.
Please present Sturt's stats if he's a must have shouldn't be to difficult.

We have Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. The reason we're getting beaten in clearances is not due to lack of quality, big bodied mids.

We have Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. The reason we're getting beaten in clearances is not due to lack of quality, big bodied mids.

Dangerfield is more a forward now, lol, Gary is more outside these days and Joel just gets beat up trying, or haven't you noticed.
You suggest throwing Sturt in there? Versatility!.. "apply the measure you use." we are always beaten for clearances that much you got right.
Smith is a need can't say the same for Sturt.

Dangerfield is more a forward now, lol, Gary is more outside these days and Joel just gets beat up trying, or haven't you noticed.
You suggest throwing Sturt in there? Versatility!.. "apply the measure you use." we are always beaten for clearances that much you got right.
Smith is a need can't say the same for Sturt.
smith sounds like a good player but this is a pretty obnoxious way of making your point

I value your opinion Nakia but the others aren't big enough for the needs as l see them.
I reckon Collingwood will take him 1st pick if we don't.

Collingwood have no R1 and their later picks will go on academy bids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am worried we will pick Caldwell if hes there and while i rate him im worried about his injuries. I rate Stocker but im not sure he's a great fit for our needs. I reckon Thomas is the best fit player type wise for our needs (if he interviewed well) and either NM match and which pushes our 50 and 51 up or we get him.

From there I think Sturt is a Wells type as to a certain extent is Butters. I think Hately will already be gone. I think Hill suits our needs but how we assess the potential flight risk with him I'm really not sure.

You forgot to color his "best numbers" green, and twice he out pointed Walsh, no fluke.
He kicks Sturt's arse.

You do realise that number of possessions doesn't necessarily mean you had a superior game. Also why did he only play one state game? You are captain stats aren't you with your combine numbers and possession stats but not when it doesn't favour your argument. If it is so easy to play in the premiers forwardline then why didn't your boy B Williams kick 50-60 goals. Sturt played half a year in that forward line and kicked basiaclly as many goals.

You really need to realise that there is so much more to football than testing and possession numbers otherwise we wouldn't need scouts. Based on the way you assess players we just get their numbers and bang that's the way to choose. I am so glad you don't make decisions for our club and people with a more nuanced understanding of the game do.

I am worried we will pick Caldwell if hes there and while i rate him im worried about his injuries. I rate Stocker but im not sure he's a great fit for our needs. I reckon Thomas is the best fit player type wise for our needs (if he interviewed well) and either NM match and which pushes our 50 and 51 up or we get him.

From there I think Sturt is a Wells type as to a certain extent is Butters. I think Hately will already be gone. I think Hill suits our needs but how we assess the potential flight risk with him I'm really not sure.

I think Stocker is a perfect fit for our needs. Joel etc need to be moved out into other roles. We have to build a new mid group... now if you tell me we should bid on TT first ..im fine that as his talent level/role is probably rarer.. but if we walk away with a solid pnp type mid... one has to be happy...(surely)..

I dont know enough about sturt but we cant afford to miss..and the most reliable pick is a contest ball mid type.

I value your opinion Nakia but the others aren't big enough for the needs as l see them.
I reckon Collingwood will take him 1st pick if we don't.
I wouldn't worry about his height, this kid is going to become a very good player down the track.

Not disputing Ely Smith and his size what enables his game. 188cm and 86 is nice.
I was referring to Butters in that comment.

I was referring to Butters in that comment.

We have 4 or 5 young potential mids around 180cm, l want a powerful midfielder more in the image of Dangerfield.
is a very important pick going forward.

Smith 3rd highest possessions for the season and 2nd highest tackles.
Draft Central Tac comp season stats.

Last edited:
2008 Farran Priest
2009 Anton Woods
2010 Jackson Sketcher
2011 Alex Benbow
2013 Jacob Chisari
2013 Ben Cavarra
2013 George Cameron
2013 Josh Scott
2014 Alex Carr​
How about Morrish Medalists from 2015-2017? They look alright - Oliver, McLuggage, Higgins... all going to be A-graders.

I think Stocker is a perfect fit for our needs. Joel etc need to be moved out into other roles. We have to build a new mid group... now if you tell me we should bid on TT first ..im fine that as his talent level/role is probably rarer.. but if we walk away with a solid pnp type mid... one has to be happy...(surely)..

I dont know enough about sturt but we cant afford to miss..and the most reliable pick is a contest ball mid type.
I like Stocker a lot. Stocker and West are a little bit under-rated imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back