List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2020 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stef yet to be offered a fresh deal per The Age:

I would have thought that after last night Stef's, best bet would be to retire. He has been a loyal servant of the club and played through some tough and he would retire with everyone's respect and thanks , I am sure.

I would have thought that after last night Stef's, best bet would be to retire. He has been a loyal servant of the club and played through some tough and he would retire with everyone's respect and thanks , I am sure.
People forget that Stef was our best player in the 2019 finals series.

He did an outstanding job to get back and play at all this year.

I'm not writing him off after a couple of games. If he can get fit and well we don't have anyone better for next year.

People forget that Stef was our best player in the 2019 finals series.

He did an outstanding job to get back and play at all this year.

I'm not writing him off after a couple of games. If he can get fit and well we don't have anyone better for next year.
I agree to a point, but the cumulative impact of injury and age, combined with his form in this finals series leads me to be on the side of the fence which really wants to lavish praise on Stef and thank him for his service, but not see him awarded an additional year deal.

I feel for Stef, but he shouldn't go on. Neither should Robinson. Last year clubs weren't able to adapt to these players and their hack it into space kicking style, but this year they have. Both players have poor disposal, but used it to their advantage. That is no longer an advantage, and both offer very little and can/should be replaced.

I still think Stef and Robbo have something to offer with a decent pre season under the belt.

But I understand if we just toss them away .

My issue is that next season could be a lot longer and more taxing. There'll be a time in the year where they'll be useful and not at much cost.

But I wait with bated breath to hear what people have to say when Archie is the second string ruck or there's no one running back with the flight when the game gets tight. Fwiiw I'd give Stef another year . Robbo I think is half cooked but he's got another year on his contract anyway.

My issue is that next season could be a lot longer and more taxing. There'll be a time in the year where they'll be useful and not at much cost.
There is the cost of a roster spot, which is going to be higher now. Saturdays version of Stef doesn't deserve one, but 2019 Stef definitely did. Let's see which one the club thinks will appear next season.

I love Stef, has been a fantastic servant of the club, stuck around during the lean years when he was getting offers and I am happy he’s got to experience some success at our club.
But I am thinking it is time for the club to move on because you don’t get better as a team by standing still, Stef has had his best years and is on the decline so with cuts to numbers and the cap he may be unlucky but I think Daniher will pick up the slack with Oscar as number 1.
Robbo has a contract for next year so will stick around but will be phased out of the team as the year progresses.
I am hoping we push either AhChee or Starc to the wing.
With Birchall doing his Hamstring hopefully he makes the decision to put up the boots giving Answerth and Witho a chance to cement a spot.
I hope Witho sticks around.
With Payne playing so well, Lester may find it tough for another year as well.
Good servants of the club though so no matter what happens I wish them all the best and if they remain on the list, we push towards a Premiership.

My prediction is:

Keep
Birchall
Hinge
Joyce (Rookie)
Lester
Madden
Martin
Payne

Cut
Allison
Christensen
Cox
Eagles
C. Lyons
Skinner
Wooller

Hinge probably stays since he's been named emergency multiple times even after exiting the 22. I'm tipping Joyce to outlast Lyons because he's younger, but he's on the edge. Skinner just doesn't look like he'll make it thanks to all the injuries, sad to see but it's in our best interests. Wooller hasn't sniffed the 22 yet so like Lyons he goes despite having looked good in the NEAFL.

Seven out gives us the space to cover Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis and a couple of draftees, I think that's enough.

My prediction is:

Keep
Birchall
Hinge
Joyce (Rookie)
Lester
Madden
Martin
Payne

Cut
Allison
Christensen
Cox
Eagles
C. Lyons
Skinner
Wooller

Hinge probably stays since he's been named emergency multiple times even after exiting the 22. I'm tipping Joyce to outlast Lyons because he's younger, but he's on the edge. Skinner just doesn't look like he'll make it thanks to all the injuries, sad to see but it's in our best interests. Wooller hasn't sniffed the 22 yet so like Lyons he goes despite having looked good in the NEAFL.

Seven out gives us the space to cover Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis and a couple of draftees, I think that's enough.
Think you are pretty close with the "cut" column but think there will be 2 or 3 more added.

Assuming Daniher and Cockatoo and a combined 42 list spots (non-Cat B), we'd be looking at needing to clear at least 7 spots between the main and rookie lists - two spots from the list size squeeze, two spots for the incoming players and three for the draft. I think it's pretty clear most of the out of contract players are gone:

Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison (R)
Allen Christensen
Sam Skinner (R)
Corey Lyons (R)
Toby Wooller - Might be controversial. I feel like he didn't get a real chance but he hasn't debuted and hasn't re-signed, so is unlikely to be here next year.
Matt Eagles (R) - Cat B, doesn't count to the 7 spots.

The 50/50s have individual cases and I think at least two will be out instead of just one. Rarely do we do the minimum of cuts:

Stefan Martin - Pro: if he gets back we've seen what he brings to the team. Con: age is on the wrong side of the ledger going forward.
Mitchell Hinge - Pro: versatile, repeatedly an emergency. Con: not best 22.
Ryan Lester - Pro: is best 22 in many situations. Con: age is on the wrong side of the ledger going forward.

Obviously any trade outs (Witherden? Smith? Mathieson?) would reduce the tightness of the list. We might see a few of these just to "help" a player when it's really to ease the squeeze.

(I'm assuming Birchall has triggered his extension, as mentioned by Hodge during the telecast, so will be back next year.)

Assuming Daniher and Cockatoo and a combined 42 list spots (non-Cat B), we'd be looking at needing to clear at least 7 spots between the main and rookie lists - two spots from the list size squeeze, two spots for the incoming players and three for the draft. I think it's pretty clear most of the out of contract players are gone:

Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison (R)
Allen Christensen
Sam Skinner (R)
Corey Lyons (R)
Toby Wooller - Might be controversial. I feel like he didn't get a real chance but he hasn't debuted and hasn't re-signed, so is unlikely to be here next year.
Matt Eagles (R) - Cat B, doesn't count to the 7 spots.

The 50/50s have individual cases and I think at least two will be out instead of just one. Rarely do we do the minimum of cuts:

Stefan Martin - Pro: if he gets back we've seen what he brings to the team. Con: age is on the wrong side of the ledger going forward.
Mitchell Hinge - Pro: versatile, repeatedly an emergency. Con: not best 22.
Ryan Lester - Pro: is best 22 in many situations. Con: age is on the wrong side of the ledger going forward.

Obviously any trade outs (Witherden? Smith? Mathieson?) would reduce the tightness of the list. We might see a few of these just to "help" a player when it's really to ease the squeeze.

(I'm assuming Birchall has triggered his extension, as mentioned by Hodge during the telecast, so will be back next year.)
I'll be very surprised if Birchall plays on in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be very surprised if Birchall plays on in 2021.

Hope you're right as I want that spot open for one of our youngsters to take. Hopefully Witherden.

I love Stef, has been a fantastic servant of the club, stuck around during the lean years when he was getting offers and I am happy he’s got to experience some success at our club.
But I am thinking it is time for the club to move on because you don’t get better as a team by standing still, Stef has had his best years and is on the decline so with cuts to numbers and the cap he may be unlucky but I think Daniher will pick up the slack with Oscar as number 1.
Robbo has a contract for next year so will stick around but will be phased out of the team as the year progresses.
I am hoping we push either AhChee or Starc to the wing.
With Birchall doing his Hamstring hopefully he makes the decision to put up the boots giving Answerth and Witho a chance to cement a spot.
I hope Witho sticks around.
With Payne playing so well, Lester may find it tough for another year as well.
Good servants of the club though so no matter what happens I wish them all the best and if they remain on the list, we push towards a Premiership.
Lester is a LOCK for a contract extension.

Not convinced he is a lock.
But he has had a good year and if he does find himself out it will be because of the squeeze.
Lester is taking it one year at a time.

Regarding the backline, Payne efforts on Rohan shows he can be versatile in defence. It's probable the way forward for our back 6 is with Andrews and Payne, and Gardiner playing the role Lester currently has. Leaving Rich + 2 to fill out the back 6.

I really liked Payne's improvement this year and can see him being more and more important to our back 6 mix.

Plus Adams waiting in the wings, assuming he can get his body right.

Lester is taking it one year at a time.

I am hoping you & the young fella can get him down to the BSO for a few kicking drills over the summer.;) Not just talking about shots at goal.

Mix em up a bit please KZ, bit more down the line & no pulling the trigger (that one into the centre.... NO). Leave that to others equipped to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back