Opinion Who is your hard luck story from the 2024 Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously a lot of players never quite get to a flag, so who is your hard luck story from the Lions?

Mine is Daniel Rich.
He was at the club through all the hard years and missed out on playing in two grand finals and a premiership.

Oscar the other very notable player.

Me, because I had to leave the post match celebrations in Fitzroy before BRAB finished his 10 course degustation menu and could meet up with us. So I never got to confront my online abuser.

Otherwise, it has to be O and Gardiner for mine. That’s not to say I don’t love Linc, Kiddy and Doedee but O played the entire season and Gardiner has been here since ground zero.

They talked about Dev Robertson at the end of the latest Roar Deal in regards to something like this, and I think that's a fair shout. Worked hard to make himself a semi-permanent part of the 23' lineup and is part of losing the GF by 4 points. Then had to choose between staying or moving and being a key piece of another team, he decides to bet on himself and stay. Then cops injuries to start this year and falls down the pecking order and out of contention for the rest of the year.

He's still young and will have plenty of opportunities again, but it would have been a tough 12 months for him.

Me, because I had to leave the post match celebrations in Fitzroy before BRAB finished his 10 course degustation menu and could meet up with us. So I never got to confront my online abuser.
I wouldn't be too worried about this... BRAB was basically on the floor by the time we got to him.

They talked about Dev Robertson at the end of the latest Roar Deal in regards to something like this, and I think that's a fair shout. Worked hard to make himself a semi-permanent part of the 23' lineup and is part of losing the GF by 4 points. Then had to choose between staying or moving and being a key piece of another team, he decides to bet on himself and stay. Then cops injuries to start this year and falls down the pecking order and out of contention for the rest of the year.

He's still young and will have plenty of opportunities again, but it would have been a tough 12 months for him.
And unfortunately for him, another 12 months of similar, most likely.

Jarryd Lyons. Hit a wall just a bit too early to be a part of it but was a hell of a clubman. You can see him in tears in the replay of the post-match celebrations on the ground as well

Otherwise, it has to be O and Gardiner for mine. That’s not to say I don’t love Linc, Kiddy and Doedee but O played the entire season and Gardiner has been here since ground zero.
I’d actually pay to see BRAB confronted by those he’s abused on here 😆.

And unfortunately for him, another 12 months of similar, most likely.
Yep, only going to be further down that list come next season. Still, shows great character to back himself in like he did and take that chance IMO, and if I recall correctly that was a big part of why we traded up the draft to get him.

There were times this season I wondered if he could have been the defensive pressure small forward we were looking for, his tackling and pressure has always been great and he's shown he has a knack around goal. In the end Ah Chee cemented that as his spot and the rest is history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the other end of the scale, there are a are a few players who would be still pinching themselves and hoping they don't wake up and find it was all a dream.

Logan" Mc" Morris and Kai especially . Also Darcy Fort

All three got there chances through the unfortunate happenstance of injuries to others

And bloody good on them. They all seized there chances with both hands.

Then there are the old stagers in Zorks and Frog who probably had almost given up all hope at various points in the wild ride that was 2024

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lachie Neale not winning the Norm Smith.

Can't remember a player so clearly BOG.

We've done all the team stuff and guys crying whatever.

I'm looking purely at the selfish side of footy.

Last edited:
Lachie Neale not winning the Norm Smith.

Can't remember a player so clearly BOG.

We've done all the team stuff and guys crying whatever.

I'm looking purely at the selfish side of footy.
How Voss didn’t win the 02 Norm was worse I thought when Buckley was awarded.

IIRC the panel voted on the award at 3QT and whilst both Bucks / Voss were both excellent up to that point, Voss was a big reason we won the game in the last and should’ve got the award.

How Voss didn’t win the 02 Norm was worse I thought when Buckley was awarded.

IIRC the panel voted on the award at 3QT and whilst both Bucks / Voss were both excellent up to that point, Voss was a big reason we won the game in the last and should’ve got the award.
In a controversial call from a Lions supporter I thought Buckley was clearly BOG. He kept setting up opportunities that half the time his teammates weren't good enough to take advantage of. I believe they put their votes in with 5 minutes to go which is fairly weird but honestly Buckley killed us that day. Vossy played very well and I think he was lineball for our best with a couple of others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who is your hard luck story from the 2024 Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back