Who of the current side would get in a revised "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

Stand corrected regarding his second season. Maybe it was the back end of his first I’m thinking of? In any case he didn’t play anywhere near enough games to be considered.
34 games. Basically 1 and a half seasons.

He is about 150 games away from being considered.

-
I'd leave John Sharrock out of 'no Geelong side' including team of century. Better footballer than Geelong champs Chappy and Stevie J, so that's how good a footballer John Sharrock was!
turning a match single-handedly, as he did in the Preliminary Final of 1967 with three quick third quarter goals against Carlton.

Although he played most of his VFL career as a half forward flanker, Sharrock proved his adaptability in 1966 when he was shifted to full back to cover for the injured Roy West and ended up running third in the Brownlow. He made his interstate debut in 1968, but shortly afterwards a knee injury sustained while playing tennis brought his career to a peremptory end after just 94 games.

You are spot on about Sharrock , not quite as tall as Jeremy Cameron but basically as a footballer every other facet was the same , booming left foot kick and such a dangerous player

That 67 PF come from behind win - basically 5 goals adrift at h/t and then 8 goals to 1 the Cats way in the 3rd qtr

I actually had a video recording of that 3rd qtr , i owned an old Beta V/Recorder , and early to mid 80s on a Sunday CH7 , had a show or part of a show called great quarters and they showed that 67 - 3rd qtr and i taped it . Ican vividly remember when watching it , Teddy Whitten was doing the special comments for that game and he said , oh theve got another one - Geel were pilling on the goals , and i can remember thinking to myself , are you commentating at the blooody wrestling , because he didnt seem to vested in the game

Its just a pity i didnt keep that tape , would have given alot of Geel supporters alot of joy watching that 3rd qtr blitz , but i moved house quite a bit back then , thus ive got no idea what happened to it

Because Blicavs offers so much more. He improves the flexibility and versatility of a team who can ruck, play back and forward, on the wing or in the midfield. He is such a rarity.
Don't need any of that in a team of the century as everyone is a gun in their position. Blicavs doesn't even closely stack up in the ruck, wing, defence against any of the players he would be competing with.

Ps. I don't think versatility in positions is a rarity as some make out. Plenty of gun players could play multiple positions but they stood out too much in one or two to bother doing it. Also I would take stonehams versatility over blicavs. Better defender. Better ruck and definitely better foward. And stoneham doesn't make this team. Colbert also had similar versatility to blicavs. Would also take him over blicavs on talent. But he also ain't in contention for team of the century.

Don't need any of that in a team of the century as everyone is a gun in their position. Blicavs doesn't even closely stack up in the ruck, wing, defence against any of the players he would be competing with.

Ps. I don't think versatility in positions is a rarity as some make out. Plenty of gun players could play multiple positions but they stood out too much in one or two to bother doing it. Also I would take stonehams versatility over blicavs. Better defender. Better ruck and definitely better foward. And stoneham doesn't make this team. Colbert also had similar versatility to blicavs. Would also take him over blicavs on talent. But he also ain't in contention for team of the century.
it is debatable that Colbert had more talent than Blicavs. You could argue either side of that argument. Blicavs is a better runner, better mark, more durable. Colbert was a better user, more creative and a more natural footballer.

However, you simply cannot argue that Colbert “had similar versatility to Blicavs”. It is not even close. Blicavs has him well covered for versatility.

Sadly this time I think your anti Blitz blitz falls down.

Stoneham was a very different player as much as we all loved him and his skills and application were great, he was terribly stiffed by injuries. Coulda been a contender ... I digress. Colbert was a versatile and skilled player, also cruelled by injury and early promotion.

Neither were in the conversation with Blitz for versatility and impact over the journey IMO. Stoneham could have been without the injuries. But still a very different player to Blitz.

One noted commentator (IDK who) recently said that Blitz redefined position labels as he was not easily definable. Any coach in the comp would give their lefty to have a fit Blitz in their team right now.

Last edited:
Stand corrected regarding his second season. Maybe it was the back end of his first I’m thinking of? In any case he didn’t play anywhere near enough games to be considered.
Injured a knee and missed the 2nd half of 1984. But '85 he was awesome. A huge loss when he went with Hafey to Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While my recollections of John Sharrock are a little hazy (tho clear as crystal on an incident with Alec Epis) I couldnt go with Sharrock over Stevie J.

Well we have to try to influence you a bit to change your opinion

Here is a picture of John Sharrock walking off the MCG after that famous come from behind ( basically 5 goals down at h/time ) 1967 PF win by the Cats . Carlton were the beaten 2nd semi finalist so they went in favourite , and Geel kicked 11 goals to 1 after h/time and Sharrock was the instigator with 4 goals

Thats him shaking Ron Barassi ( Captain/Coach of Carlton ) hand at the end of that game

Attachments

• FXB726106.jpg
    FXB726106.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 7
But you said you need a 150 games? And williams 34 games were at best and fairest level.
Well done seeds, you got me. Clearly I wrote that there should be a strict rule of 150 games to consider a player for inclusion.

Oh, hang on, what’s that? Did I say about 150 games? Oh, I did. 101 is about 150 games in my mind so I have found a loophole in your strict interpretation.

Hooray! Polly qualifies and takes his rightful place in the team.

Strawman remains intact - Bonza 👍

it is debatable that Colbert had more talent than Blicavs. You could argue either side of that argument. Blicavs is a better runner, better mark, more durable. Colbert was a better user, more creative and a more natural footballer.

However, you simply cannot argue that Colbert “had similar versatility to Blicavs”. It is not even close. Blicavs has him well covered for versatility.
I’d argue that Colbert was a better mark than Blitz.

Well done seeds, you got me. Clearly I wrote that there should be a strict rule of 150 games to consider a player for inclusion.

Oh, hang on, what’s that? Did I say about 150 games? Oh, I did. 101 is about 150 games in my mind so I have found a loophole in your strict interpretation.

Hooray! Polly qualifies and takes his rightful place in the team.

Strawman remains intact - Bonza 👍

No you didn't. Diesel played 34 and you said he was about 150 games short of being considered, so you've set your threshold at around the 184 games mark.

Now Polly isn't much past half way.

Well we have to try to influence you a bit to change your opinion

Here is a picture of John Sharrock walking off the MCG after that famous come from behind ( basically 5 goals down at h/time ) 1967 PF win by the Cats . Carlton were the beaten 2nd semi finalist so they went in favourite , and Geel kicked 11 goals to 1 after h/time and Sharrock was the instigator with 4 goals

Thats him shaking Ron Barassi ( Captain/Coach of Carlton ) hand at the end of that game

I do recall a game where Sharrock only had 7 possessions.

He kicked 7 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back