Who of the current side would get in a revised "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The 2007 premiership team will be revered but how many of the current crop would be considered in a revised Geelong "team of the century"?

For me the only automatic selection would be Scarlett.

However from memory the original team of the century had one or two obscure half back flankers. Milburn may therefore be a chance.

At the end of their careers you would think that both G.Ablett and Bartel will be Geelong greats as well.

Geelong's TOC, named in 2001 was:

B: Bernie Smith - George Todd - John Newman
HB:Dick Grigg - Reg Hickey - Joe Slater
C: Mick Turner - Ed Greeves - Leo Turner
HF:Gary Ablett Snr - Fred Flanigan - Bob Davis
F: H Young - Doug Wade - Peter Pianto
Rucks: Polly Farmer, Gary Hocking, Billy Goggin
I/C: David Clarke, Paul Couch, Alec Eason & Les Hardiman

I agree Matty Scarlett would have to be considered as FB in a revised TOC.

But let's be serious - Sam Newman as back pocket. I saw him play. He was a ruckman come forward. I'd drop him to i/c and slot Milburn into BP where he has at least played football.

Too early to consider Bartel, and G Ablett Jnr in the "revised" TOC, although emergencies were named in the 2001 TOC. Alistair Lord (1962 Brownlow medalist) couldn't make the TOC, so winning the Brownlow does not mean automatic selection.

Here's another question. If a team oif the decade was named today, would any players NOT from the 2007 premiership side make selection? maybe Ben Graham, Gary Hocking (retired at end of 2001), and/or Peter Ricardi?

But let's be serious - Sam Newman as back pocket. I saw him play. He was a ruckman come forward. I'd drop him to i/c and slot Milburn into BP where he has at least played football.

Too early to consider Bartel, and G Ablett Jnr in the "revised" TOC, although emergencies were named in the 2001 TOC. Alistair Lord (1962 Brownlow medalist) couldn't make the TOC, so winning the Brownlow does not mean automatic selection.

Here's another question. If a team oif the decade was named today, would any players NOT from the 2007 premiership side make selection? maybe Ben Graham, Gary Hocking (retired at end of 2001), and/or Peter Ricardi?

I'm tipping Shannon may just miss.

We were a great team this year. I emphasise the word team.

We still dont have that explosive superstar like a Judd or anything like that.

Joel Selwood will be a gem, as will bartel and maybe G Ablett.

Scarlett is the only current Cat taht would perhaps make an all time great Geelong team, and maybe Milburn.

the team of the 20th Century has not changed because of the GF win. But you could consider that all of the 2007 GF team would currently be holding positions in The Team of the 21st Century (which is the one we are in presently). Of course as the rest of this century unfolds other great players will reveal themselves and knock some of the current ones out. Byrnes being the first to go. ;)

Realistically, Matthew Scarlett would be the only current Cats player who would make a revised team. Either slot him in the BP ahead of Sam Newman, or put him at FB and Jocka in the BP.

There is little more Scarlo can do really. He's been the foundation upon which this current Geelong ide has been built, and the only true A- Grade player the side has had for years and years now. The Cool Cat has been a consumate presence on the last line for the best part of the last decade, and his consistency has been unsurpassed since his Rising Star nomination in 2000.

Shutdown everything and everyone that has come his way, and then united all Cats fans with that very unique and pleasurable feeling that comes when we see our FB take off from his post in the defensive goalsquare, launching attack after attack. I'll never forget the standing ovation he got running back down into defence in 2004 at Skilled in that thriller against the Saints, when he soccered that ball home for a goal.

A true champion of our club. Love him.

Bartel is a Brownlow Medallist, and Ablett has risen to perennial status, but neither outside of 2007 have achieved enough to warrant selection.

Right up to the 70's Ruckman rested in the Back Pocket and Rovers in the Forward Pocket. So a second Ruckman would often be found in the Back Pocket. Newman is a Hall of Fame member and deserves a spot in the starting line up.

NO WAY would Ben Graham make a revised team, and Ricca as good as he was is not in that league. Best players since 2000 after Scarlett would be Steven King. Barring injury and changes to the Ruck rules would have won 4 b&fs (as it is he got 2),Darren Milburn and the emerging midfiel legends (G.Ablett, Bartel, Corey and Selwood).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scarlett would be the only one.

Jnr and Bartel are the only other two at this stage who have the potential to make it.

Ah screw it, make them all in our Team Of The Century II, and then they can play against each other.

As much as I hate to say it I think Kingsley would get in to a team of the decade, won our goal kicking multiple times and was our short term answer for a key forward

Add Sanderson in the Team of the Decade

Scarlett shouldn't be in the ToC as his best work has happened after 100 years has past (the word century is the key to the team selection)

I would consider him for the Alltime Greatest Geelong team though

As much as I hate to say it I think Kingsley would get in to a team of the decade, won our goal kicking multiple times and was our short term answer for a key forward

:eek: May be technically true but makes me feel ill to think of it :eek:, Much rather chuck Mooney at FF and maybe Graham at CHF (where he was nothing special) just to keep KK out.

Agree with people saying Scarlett. Possible Bartel and Ablett Jnr but they need quite a few more seasons like last year to make an all time side. Milburn is not such a silly suggestion. He has played at a high level for years and always been one of the smartest and best readers of the play in the comp.

:eek: May be technically true but makes me feel ill to think of it :eek:, Much rather chuck Mooney at FF and maybe Graham at CHF (where he was nothing special) just to keep KK out.

HEY WTF !!!! If KK makes the Team of (anything) it is a massive massive mistake, unless of course its the Team of Hacks.

Scarlett would be the only one.

Jnr and Bartel are the only other two at this stage who have the potential to make it.

Ah screw it, make them all in our Team Of The Century II, and then they can play against each other.

Dog has the potential to make it too, both for what he does himself and - I reckon more importantly - for what he creates for others. He'd need to have a few more seasons like last those (and no, I don't mean starting with a six game suspension).I genuinely rate Egan, Selwood and Ottens too. If the latter in particular could kick straight he'd be easily the dominant ruckman in the competition which given the quality of the opposition (or perhaps more accurately the hype that's surrounded some of the opposition) would be saying something. Any bloke that can take a mark of the year, run down a little bloke like he did in the GF, kick goals and be a top ruckman has got to rate.The only other one is Ling who is genuinely a quality tagger who also has a strong offensive game. Best of the decade, which has to put him in contention (again assuming he can continue to perform). Depends a bit though on team structure and so on.

As others have said, realy only Scarlett atm. Bartel and Ablett would be shoe-ins if they cn play a few m ore seasons at the level of last year, and if Johnson can sa out of trouble and play a few more seasons with the commitment he showed in 07, he would be a good chance too.

Everyone seems to be saying Scarlett, and thats hard to argue with. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to dump Jocka though - absolute superstar of the club in the early years. Maybe one in the side at FB and the other in the BP or on the bench.

Bump

What do we think now?

For me Scarlett, Ablett, Bartel are locks. Others that would be on the cusp would be Enright, Chapman, Ottens and S.Johnson. Selwood will make the team assuming his output stays the same for another couple of seasons.

My revised team:

B: Bernie Smith - Matthew Scarlett - "Jocka" Todd
HB Dick Grigg - Reg Hickey - Corey Enright
C: Mick Turner - Ed Greeves - Jimmy Bartel
F: Steve Johnson - Doug Wade - Peter Pianto
Rucks: Polly Farmer, Gary Hocking, Gary Ablett jnr

I/C: Paul Chapman, Paul Couch, Billy Goggin & Brad Ottens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back