Who replaces Matty Maguire?

Remove this Banner Ad

nicko016

Senior List
May 26, 2006
Werribee, Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who do we put at CHB. Ideally for us to win the premiership we would probably need Kosi at CHB and Hamill across HFF. But, with neither of those likely to be back soon we will probably need someone else.

Would it be a bad idea to give Gilbert a bit of experience there? What are your thoughts?

I would think that Hudghton stays at FB and Sam Fisher goes to CHB.
Gram holds his spot, as does Leigh Fisher and X Clarke comes in to the other flank. The absence of Baker presents as a problem against Geelong. We must consider the Sam Gilbert's retention for this match, or Matthew Ferguson might come in. I don't think Raph will be ready yet.

what about fisher to CHB and rix comes in on a HBF but floats around the back line as a tall defender. think outside the box boys.

StKildonan said:
I would think that Hudghton stays at FB and Sam Fisher goes to CHB. Gram holds his spot, as does Leigh Fisher and X Clarke comes in to the other flank. The absence of Baker presents as a problem against Geelong. We must consider the Sam Gilbert's retention for this match, or Matthew Ferguson might come in. I don't think Raph will be ready yet.
Yep this sounds ok. We could have Vossy down there as a back line sweeper.

joe blake down back... thats wat all the 3aw boyz said after the game friday nite... i like it he can run and won't be outsized and outmuscled now like he was in the ruck... the fowards are about the same size as him... they need an insurance policy though... ackland took a cuple of good marks loose in the backline against port, maybe he could play loose and swap with rixy in the ruck

How long until Fergus Watts is back playing in the VFL*? Maybe he could be an option for CHB

* Played for the Scorpions last week, maybe he could come in and play CHB.

I'm not sure about Riewoldt playing in defence.

As good as he is down back you have to wonder where our goals are going to come from. Milne is struggling and Scarlett usually goes well on Gehrig.

I'm not convinced about Blake as a key defender either, although I can't see the problem in playing Rix and having one of the ruckman (or Vossy) dropping back in the space from time to time.

You'd like to think Max and Chips could cover McCarthy and Playfair this weekend at least.

Fergus will probably need some game time in the VFL but he seemed to go OK last week and might well be used late in the season.

sainter said:
You'd like to think Max and Chips could cover McCarthy and Playfair this weekend at least.

Geelong played Casey in the VFL last week. The big mac dobbed 4.

He definitely won't be playing this week, his AFL career is over, and Thompson's threats about Mooney returning from suspension in the 2's seem mostly hollow, so Playfair won't be in the side either.

Blake plays to free Ottens up to play FF for the full game and King will drop forward occassionally as the third tall.

I forgot about Ottens. :(

Maguire would have been his opponent. Max regularly plays against opponents that are bigger than him but Ottens size and strength does worry me. Sam Fisher is the other option I suppose. It's when looking at potential match-ups that you realise just how much we miss Kosi, Hamill and now Maguire.

if we are really strapped maybe even goddard althoug he will be giving a good couple of inches away with ottens and id say if he does ottens will take him down to the goal square.

maybe give the big rix a crack on him then alternate qith acland i must admit i dont have the highest level of confidence in the 2 but have a floating back such as voss or goddard...could work.

let me know what u guys think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emmo said:
if we are really strapped maybe even goddard althoug he will be giving a good couple of inches away with ottens and id say if he does ottens will take him down to the goal square.

maybe give the big rix a crack on him then alternate qith acland i must admit i dont have the highest level of confidence in the 2 but have a floating back such as voss or goddard...could work.

let me know what u guys think

Ottens took most on the lead last time I watched them so height isn't a huge problem. Anyway I can't see that dud kicking more than 3 or 4 when he has an absolute day out. Geelong other than wodjinski(sp) do not run in the midfield the ball always only gets in quick to past the centre to HF, this is where the defence should be concentrated

Top two matters in October
The Age
August 7, 2006

"Before we rush to dismiss St Kilda's chances now, it's also well worth remembering that the famous win over the Crows last September was one achieved not only without Maguire, a late withdrawal that evening, but a second key defender in Max Hudghton, and Koschitzke, Xavier Clarke and Brendon Goddard besides."

Bentleigh said:
Word is operation did not go well

"He's in a great deal of pain"

No offense, but any human being is usually under a great deal of pain after most kinds of surgery, and specially this Maguire's type of injure and surgery. Why in earth would you think pain disappears right after you get out of the OR?

That's what painkillers are for, and I'm not speaking about mild painkillers...

Hey Bluejay, Bentleigh has trolled hereabouts before, but he isn't this time.
His own club has suffered 2 similar injuries to Matty Maguire's in recent times.
There has been some local news that suggests Maguire has suffered from compartment syndrome.

Acute compartment syndrome: It may take several hours for acute compartment syndrome to develop. Within the muscle compartment, swelling and/or bleeding creates pressure on capillaries and nerves. When the pressure in the compartment exceeds the blood pressure within the capillaries, the capillaries collapse. This disrupts the blood flow to muscle and nerve cells. Without a steady supply of oxygen and nutrients, nerve and muscle cells begin to die within hours. Unless the pressure is relieved quickly, this can cause permanent disability or death.

A traumatic injury, such as a fracture of one of the long bones in the body, can often trigger acute compartment syndrome. If the injured limb continues to swell after a rigid cast or tight dressing is applied, a compartment syndrome may result. In that case, the cast or dressing will have to be split or removed as the first step to help alleviate the problem.

Apparently the pressure has been alleviated before any further complications arose, and his rehabilitation will not be further complicated by it except a longer initial stay in hospital as a precautionary measure.

I know what compartment syndrome is. I'm a medicine student for something. If he's had it, he's been pretty unlucky. It can be a very very dangerous situation. But after surgery he was probably in the hospital already recovering, and they were probably monitoring him about it, so a compartment syndrome taken early and in the hospital can be solved with no complications as you say.

I don't have australian news feeds, so thanks for the info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who replaces Matty Maguire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back