Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

No - you just don't like Buckley which is fine.

F*ck it. We are a big club. We have fired coaches in the past with years left on the contract. You can pay 20% of a head coaches salary outside the soft cap. You can go over the soft cap limit.

Pay Buckley and pay his assistants. Be smart about the soft cap.

One year after firing Pyke we had the worst coaching panel ever assembled at AFL level, and that was with a rookie head coach

We only need to ask all those interested in the job who they would’ve had in the first round this season.
Those that have McHenry in the side and Laird in the middle are dismissed. Those that don’t but have Murphy in are dismissed.
Then they can ask questions about game-plan, development, 3 year strategy, etc. 😀

Buckleys time was up.

99.9% of all AFL Coaches careers end terribly. Blight, Malthouse, Barassi, Hafey, Jeans all had terrible finishes to their coaching career.

Leigh Mathews missed the finals the last 4 seasons he was the head coach at Brisbane - think he can't coach?

At the end of this season - Clarkson will have made the finals once in his last 7 seasons - think he can't coach?

Players make coaches ultimately. The coaches add the extra 2-3% to make a difference. But great players win the games - that’s why Clarkson hasn’t made the finals the last 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The AFL soft cap was only fully implemented in 2016, with a lower rate in 2015, and no cap in 2014

Fair.

One year after firing Pyke we had the worst coaching panel ever assembled at AFL level, and that was with a rookie head coach

But was this due to financial restrictions or because our club is run by idiots?

Spot on .....Buckley was criticised for being too rigid in his thinking .....too demanding of his players, in a way of how he was as on himself as a footballer

He's an old school Coach in the mould of Neil Craig

People want a name Coach ....you're not going to get one ....you go back into the lottery for an assistant Coach, and take your chances
I'm hoping we can get a coach who can actually think! ;)

No - you just don't like Buckley which is fine.

F*ck it. We are a big club. We have fired coaches in the past with years left on the contract. You can pay 20% of a head coaches salary outside the soft cap. You can go over the soft cap limit.

Pay Buckley and pay his assistants. Be smart about the soft cap.
Was with you up until that point.

We're gonna fail right there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If West Coast sack Adam Simpson would you take him as a senior coach replacing Nicks?

Alternatively as a senior assistant?
1Vv.gif

If West Coast sack Adam Simpson would you take him as a senior coach replacing Nicks?

Alternatively as a senior assistant?
The guy with an 8-51 record over the past 3 seasons?

Remember when the world was devastated with covid, every sport on the planet was shut down and he whinged and whined they had to travel to sunny Queensland for the winter to play games? Has looked completely devoid of answers now he doesn’t have a great list. Gives the strong impression of a coach who needs the deck stacked in his favour to be successful.

The guy with an 8-51 record over the past 3 seasons?

Remember when the world was devastated with covid, every sport on the planet was shut down and he whinged and whined they had to travel to sunny Queensland for the winter to play games? Has looked completely devoid of answers now he doesn’t have a great list. Gives the strong impression of a coach who needs the deck stacked in his favour to be successful.

Yep his recent record is bad, although two of the past three seasons he had 20+ players on the injury list.

Personally I don't think you could ever say that a coach winning a premiership from outside Victoria ever has the deck truly stacked in his favor

He would potentially be the only available genuinely successful premiership winning coach this year

Yep his recent record is bad, although two of the past three seasons he had 20+ players on the injury list.

Personally I don't think you could ever say that a coach winning a premiership from outside Victoria ever has the deck truly stacked in his favor

He would potentially be the only available genuinely successful premiership winning coach this year
I've let this ruminate overnight - no not that

I dont mind as Senior coach but as senior assistant no

I can understand the thinking - take a step back while keeping his hand in - but he is too good to be a senior assistant. I said it before our next senior assistant is only coming to take over the whole job. Whoever we appoint as SA for 2025 will be our next coach

Football Director sure I can see that and I think he would do a great job but would he bother?

It’s the lack of competitiveness that they’ve shown that worries me. You look over a WCE team and it doesn’t look that bad on paper, still plenty of talent, yet they turn their toes up real easy. That’s what worries me most about Simpson as a coach.

It’s the lack of competitiveness that they’ve shown that worries me. You look over a WCE team and it doesn’t look that bad on paper, still plenty of talent, yet they turn their toes up real easy. That’s what worries me most about Simpson as a coach.
Isnt that on the players? If the injuries have been as bad as they are he cant swing big changes

Arent we talking about Simpson?
Yes. But if the lacklustre uncompetitive efforts of WCE are down to the players and the coach isn’t responsible then why bother changing coaches? Or why bother bringing Simpson in if he isn’t going to make a difference?

I do agree that a great playing list is more important than a great coach but better to have a bit of both. While Simpson has a flag, he had a pretty great list then and he hasn’t looked close since some of those elite players have started to drop off. Lots of excuses, looks very forlorn and disinterested, almost like he’s just treading water until the list gets great again. His general demeanour and approach don’t inspire me in any way.

Yes. But if the lacklustre uncompetitive efforts of WCE are down to the players and the coach isn’t responsible then why bother changing coaches? Or why bother bringing Simpson in if he isn’t going to make a difference?
Never said he wasnt responsible I said with his injury list his ability to make changes is limited

ie he has to keep playing those uncompetitive players until he can move them on

Fair.

But was this due to financial restrictions or because our club is run by idiots?
From all reports we don't pay well when it comes to our assistant coaching department. Add in COVID cuts then necessitating pay cuts again it's probably not a surprise we couldn't get anyone decent and guys like Mattner decided to go back to the SANFL where he can run his own ship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back