Who should be the next senior coach of Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brad Scott is appointed, I will follow a team in another sport. Don't want Ross Lyon with his defensive mindset and I am not sure that Paul Roos has any interest in coaching again.
Looking at how Rhyce Shaw is going , Brad Scott’s record is looking quite favourably now.
And his twin brother is one of the best coaches in the game

He‘s coached a few places and he is highly regarde. But there is also the elemen of him being a Collingwood person, yeah.
From 2009-13 he was midfield coach at WCE. In those years they finished 11, last, 4th, 6th, 13th. From 14-17 he was midfield coach at the Pies. We finished 11, 12, 12 and 13th. He has been at the Hawks 2018 to now. They finished 6th, 9th, and currently 15. So in a results driven/ perception based industry it doesn't look good. Others have surpassed him.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Eddie and co are not capable of making an objective assessment of a candidate’s suitability to coach the pies, I would be happy for us to eliminate the eligibility of all former pies for the role.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

someone who can deliver a period of sustained success - this means a few flags - not just "competing in finals"

As opposed to every other club’s requirements?

As opposed to every other club’s requirements?
as opposed to what Pies have achieved in past 70 years:

flags.....spaced out: 1953, 1958, 1990, 2010 - nice but no dynasty

runners up......way too often: 1955, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002, 2003, 2011, 2018 - worthy but ultimately not successful

Edit - coming 2nd in AFL Grand final not like Olympic silver

1597787530037.png

Attachments

• 1597787449782.png
    1597787449782.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 43
as opposed to what Pies have achieved in past 70 years:

flags.....spaced out: 1953, 1958, 1990, 2010 - nice but no dynasty

runners up......way too often: 1955, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002, 2003, 2011, 2018 - worthy but ultimately not successful

Edit - coming 2nd in AFL Grand final not like Olympic silver

View attachment 939431

How do you go about finding a coach who will guarantee success?

How do you go about finding a coach who will guarantee success?
do something different - eg, rigorous recruiting, ruthless winning culture, no emotion (eg bringing Beams back; thinking past Cwood players might necessarily be best at coaching because "they love the club")

- these Clubs have had eras of success (and their droughts) during the period I quoted (Cwood's last "era" was 90 years ago)

Melbourne - ages ago I know but dominant then - we lost 4? GFs in that time to them
Essendon
Carlton
Hawthorn
Richmond - 7 flags :(
Geelong
Brisbane - 3 in a row
Adelaide - back to back

do something different - eg, rigorous recruiting, ruthless winning culture, no emotion (eg bringing Beams back; thinking past Cwood players might necessarily be best at coaching because "they love the club")

- these Clubs have had eras of success (and their droughts) during the period I quoted (Cwood's last "era" was 90 years ago)

Melbourne - ages ago I know but dominant then - we lost 4? GFs in that time to them
Essendon
Carlton
Hawthorn
Richmond - 7 flags :(
Geelong
Brisbane - 3 in a row
Adelaide - back to back

This success is coincidence in my view - why?
Because if there was a clear formula and repeatable system then why have all these teams dropped off after these eras?
I think if you really looked closely you would find that specific ONCE in a generation events occurred - and usually that was due to either exemplary players, coaches or administrators, whose quality could never be replaced.

I would love choco williams to get a chance at it. I think he has the strong personality to put up with the collingwood admin and supporters. Also think he is a great coach and would be do great things if given an opportunity.

Rumoured to be hard to get along with but that doesnt faze me if he is unwaivering in his attempt to win games

I would love choco williams to get a chance at it. I think he has the strong personality to put up with the collingwood admin and supporters. Also think he is a great coach and would be do great things if given an opportunity.

Rumoured to be hard to get along with but that doesnt faze me if he is unwaivering in his attempt to win games

todays players want far more nurturing than in the past - Chocos’ hard edge may well be the reason he’s fallen off the radar as a coach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This success is coincidence in my view - why?

Of course it is.

Carlton, Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn fell to pieces because of the one thing the Collingwood football club is currently doing - they parachuted ex-players into the position as head coach, and had administrations more interested in what they could get out of the club than what they could do for the club. Essendon also did the same, to a lesser degree.

Of course it is.

Carlton, Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn fell to pieces because of the one thing the Collingwood football club is currently doing - they parachuted ex-players into the position as head coach, and had administrations more interested in what they could get out of the club than what they could do for the club. Essendon also did the same, to a lesser degree.

And despite knowing these mistakes they haven’t been able to reset and reestablish their dominance of the past.
So clearly their success was due the coincidence of once in a generation factors.

So my point is that anyone that thinks they have a formula for ongoing success is deluded given what history has shown us - namely, success is fleeting.

And despite knowing these mistakes they haven’t been able to reset and reestablish their dominance of the past.

Sorry, what?

Richmond have won two out of the last three Premierships, and would be a pretty good bet to win at least one out of the next two or three as well. That's a pretty good haul almost on par with their late 60s/early 70s heyday. Hawthorn won three in a row only a few short years ago, to go with three in the 70s and four in the 80s.

Not sure what you point is here.

Carlton are in trouble for a variety of reasons. They appear to have righted the ship somewhat, and only time will tell whether they continue in their merry way of knifing coaches at the wrong time or turn it into something more.

Brisbane are doing very well indeed, and have even taken a leaf out of Hawthorn's book by choosing Fagan as coach (similar to grabbing Jeans in the early 80s).

Geelong have been thereabouts or most of the time since 2011, probably just a player or two short. If they win this year or next, four flags in a dozen or so years is a pretty fair haul.

So my point is that anyone that thinks they have a formula for ongoing success is deluded given what history has shown us - namely, success is fleeting.

Success is fleeting because too many clubs compromise their position by appointing the wrong people.

Look at Collingwood - the club bio of Anderson makes numerous mention of the success he has had in his previous positions by increasing sponsorship and revenue. Doesn't mention if any of those organisations actually won Premierships/World Championships or the such.

Maybe he is the right person for the job, but wouldn't it be better to have someone who has been in charge of sporting organisations that have won things? That way you know you have someone who has the ability to make the right calls on personnel, vision, standards and the changes necessary to do what sporting clubs are actually meant to do - win.

Sorry, what?

Richmond have won two out of the last three Premierships, and would be a pretty good bet to win at least one out of the next two or three as well. That's a pretty good haul almost on par with their late 60s/early 70s heyday. Hawthorn won three in a row only a few short years ago, to go with three in the 70s and four in the 80s.

Not sure what you point is here.

Carlton are in trouble for a variety of reasons. They appear to have righted the ship somewhat, and only time will tell whether they continue in their merry way of knifing coaches at the wrong time or turn it into something more.

Brisbane are doing very well indeed, and have even taken a leaf out of Hawthorn's book by choosing Fagan as coach (similar to grabbing Jeans in the early 80s).

Geelong have been thereabouts or most of the time since 2011, probably just a player or two short. If they win this year or next, four flags in a dozen or so years is a pretty fair haul.

Success is fleeting because too many clubs compromise their position by appointing the wrong people.

Look at Collingwood - the club bio of Anderson makes numerous mention of the success he has had in his previous positions by increasing sponsorship and revenue. Doesn't mention if any of those organisations actually won Premierships/World Championships or the such.

Maybe he is the right person for the job, but wouldn't it be better to have someone who has been in charge of sporting organisations that have won things? That way you know you have someone who has the ability to make the right calls on personnel, vision, standards and the changes necessary to do what sporting clubs are actually meant to do - win.

so we finally get to the crux of the issue - “success is fleeting because clubs compromise their positions by appointing the wrong people”
That’s is my point - but no one sets out to appoint the wrong person - you need to be lucky in getting a once in a generation coach like Kennedy or Barassi etc.
All you can do is manage risk - Clarko with his next club may never win a flag, so if that happened people would argue he was wrong person. But those appointing him would have been lauded at the time and then criticized after the failure.
That’s called hindsight.
There are no guarantees or formulas for success - none.

so we finally get to the crux of the issue - “success is fleeting because clubs compromise their positions by appointing the wrong people”
That’s is my point - but no one sets out to appoint the wrong person - you need to be lucky in getting a once in a generation coach like Kennedy or Barassi etc.
All you can do is manage risk - Clarko with his next club may never win a flag, so if that happened people would argue he was wrong person. But those appointing him would have been lauded at the time and then criticized after the failure.
That’s called hindsight.
There are no guarantees or formulas for success - none.

Q.1 Yeah but the Hawks got Kennedy, then Jeans, Joyce and after a silly in house time with Schwabby, they then got Clarko.....so that's 4 out of their last 5coaches becoming Premiership coaches....that's not bad eh? (and three of them from without the club)
And Carlton had Barrassi, Jezza, (Perce Jones!!!) Parkin, Walls and Parkin again....so they had 5 Premiership coaches.....somebody was doing pretty well choosing them (and two of their best Barrassi and Parkin came from without)

Q.2 I'd argue there are some pretty sure formulae for success...get the best people in place, give them the best resources that you can and encourage them to play to their strengths. (NB: The Best Coach available is a part of the best people)
This formula worked so well that the AFL had to bring in salary caps and drafts to "equalise" the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who should be the next senior coach of Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back