Who To Drop????

Remove this Banner Ad

doggy3

Senior List
Feb 29, 2008
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i was just thinking if williams was to come back pretty soo who would we drop out of the team that played port. I think welsh should be.

thats your thoughts

there will be no change. Not unless someone comes back from the break in anything other then tip top condition. This is the deepest side we have had in my memory and with a clean bill of health competition for spots will be at an all time high. I believe atm we have 25-26 capable afl players and we all know 26 doesnt go into 22 all that well

there will be no change. Not unless someone comes back from the break in anything other then tip top condition. This is the deepest side we have had in my memory and with a clean bill of health competition for spots will be at an all time high. I believe atm we have 25-26 capable afl players and we all know 26 doesnt go into 22 all that well

so your saying williams isnt in our best 22

Welsh is crucial to the structure of our forward line so I doubt he would be dropped unless he was playing really poorly. I'm guessing Harbrow and Hill are most vulnerable even though they have been playing well recently.

Welsh is crucial to the structure of our forward line so I doubt he would be dropped unless he was playing really poorly. I'm guessing Harbrow and Hill are most vulnerable even though they have been playing well recently.

LOL!!!! Im glad you blokes have nothing to do with selecting the side. Let me say its no coincidence that our change in form has coinsided with harbrow going back. The run is back baby and you blokes have gotta start giving some cudos. Hill is so important for a couple of reasons. Structure wise he helps with a contest in the air if the blokes up the ground are forced to rush a kick forward. He has an x factor that the mosquito fleet in gia, aker and to lesser extent johnno dont have.

ATM Tom williams isnt in our best 22! If he plays to his potential then YES he is but potential only gets you so far and continually handing him a spot in the side shows him that doing Ok is enough. Lets make him and anyone else who wants to get back in EARN IT!

Not a chance in hell either Harbrow or Hill will get dropped.

Williams is going to have to earn his spot back in the 22 and I can't see any changes being made. I'd say Hahn and Welsh would be closer but realistically it would come at the expense of someone who gets reported or injured for a week or two.

No need to rush things.

williams doesnt deserve a spot in the team. we cant pin our hopes on the unreliable. he's gotta prove himself at Willi. As for welsh, he is the most important forward we have, and eade will only drop him if he's physically not up to it. Even when he has an off day he is important to our structure and shape making holes for others to take advantage of. And lets face it you dont wanna be tackled by him as hes surprisingly tough at it.

In the words of my brother who is currently at the willy v cats game "Williams is a girls dik, he has been off most of the game". Hoping its nothing serious but i doubt he will be an "IN" this week

Ok i agree with the "his got to prove himself" and "potential only get you so far" and all the rest....

I sick of the talk of "his always injured" and "he wont be playing so don't worry about him". All his injuries have been random one off injuries. He has never had a "recurring" injury. He hasn't had a soft tissue injury or needed a reconstruction (i think).

The point i keep thinking of is he will be vital against the top teams against the likes of Mooney, Franklin and Riewoldt. Eade is going to try and hurry up Williams education because of these players.

When it comes to who to drop.... if Williams is out of form "come finals time" ill be all for dropping him. But at the moment i have no idea, but i believe Williams progress needs to be as quick as possible.

Personally, Williams in for Eagleton or Ward. I have said and will continue to say that come finals time I think Ward will have done enough impressive things and played a lot of good games to cement his spot in the side. Eagleton is the one who has to keep up his form otherwise he is the one most likely to be dropped.

Hahn's spot in the side probably isn't locked in, either.

Eagleton, Hahn, Welsh and Ward would probably be the four players contesting for the three spots when Williams returns.

Eagleton, Hahn, Welsh and Ward would probably be the four players contesting for the three spots when Williams returns.

Would be pretty tough on any of these boys... Not sure how tommy would get back in, as mentioned, he first needs to show form, stay injury free and wait for drop in form or suspension of others.

Either way, it's a good position to be in.:thumbsu:

Personally, Williams in for Eagleton or Ward. I have said and will continue to say that come finals time I think Ward will have done enough impressive things and played a lot of good games to cement his spot in the side. Eagleton is the one who has to keep up his form otherwise he is the one most likely to be dropped.

Hahn's spot in the side probably isn't locked in, either.

Williams will return, but I'm not sure whether it will be at the expense of these guys. As good as he has been I think Picken is the one who will miss out.

Boyd has been fantastic as a tough, ball gathering midfielder in the first half of this year, and hasn't had many run with roles. All because we haven't had Cooney in there getting touches on a regular basis. Now we do, our ball winning ability will improve a lot and the hard tag won't be as big a need as it was in the first half of the year. In the second half, Boyd or Cross need to become that run with midfielder.

Versatility in your structure is key in the second half/finals, and I don't know whether Picken offers that.**

**Picken has been fantastic for us, and has put a lot of selection pressure on the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picken isn't just a tagger you know, you're hardly treating him with the respect he deserves, he's shown he's capable of playing a hard tag and along with that, play loose in the midfield and kick a big goal. Absolutely no chance I'd ever drop him for Williams who clearly isn't turning on.

If he rockets his form in the VFL, Hahn goes.

I like Picken, and I don’t really think I have shown him any disrespect. IMO the reason he was brought into the side in the first place was because the coaching staff realised we weren’t going to win enough ball to win the midfield battle without Cooney. With Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Griffen and Higgens as our main ball winners other sides will be concerned with our ball winning ability. Meaning Boyd or Cross, who haven’t had to do many run with roles , will have to turn defensive while still getting a bit of ball.

If any midfielder falls, Picken will be in immediately, to counteract the oppositions ball winning ability. But Tommy would have more appeal for selection due to what he does to our structure.

Picken doesn't just play midfield you know, he'll just go in defence if the midfield isn't suffering. At the moment, he's more efficient than Hahn and Griffen(Been extremely disappointing this year IMO).

Explain to me how Hahn could get a game ahead of Picken?

Picken doesn't just play midfield you know, he'll just go in defence if the midfield isn't suffering. At the moment, he's more efficient than Hahn and Griffen(Been extremely disappointing this year IMO).

Explain to me how Hahn could get a game ahead of Picken?

Hahn gets a game before Picken because he plays a tall role for us in an undersized forward line. He also puts enourmous pressure on the opposition backmen and risks his body any chance he gets. He sacrifices his normal game - which isn't a KPP role - week in and week out (and has done for most of his career) better than most similar players in the league can.

Talk about respect, are you sure you are paying Hahn enough?

why hahn?

have a look at the last 20secs against geelong. Only hahn could jump into two players knock them over, get the ball on his knees, stand up with two guys hanging off him and kick it to the goalsquare. Could anyone else playing at the kennel have done that?

Picken has most of Hahn's attributes, only he's younger and has more potential to be uncovered. Hahn is getting worse this year and he definitely can't play a tall role. He's 188cm and I rarely see him taking any contestant marks. Playing Picken has far more upside.

Regardless, I'm not convinced Tom Williams is carved into the 22 because to be frank, the Doggies are playing suave football without him so I think he should be a depth player. Especially considering he's been rubbish in the VFL too.

Regardless, I'm not convinced Tom Williams is carved into the 22 because to be frank, the Doggies are playing suave football without him so I think he should be a depth player. Especially considering he's been rubbish in the VFL too.

That is absolute crap!!

He played his comeback game yesterday and was scratchy no doubt, but no more scratchy than Murphy was for us last week after a lay-off.

We need Williams in the team especially against teams with big forwards like St.Kilda, Hawthorn and Geelong.

Picken has most of Hahn's attributes, only he's younger and has more potential to be uncovered. Hahn is getting worse this year and he definitely can't play a tall role. He's 188cm and I rarely see him taking any contestant marks. Playing Picken has far more upside.

Picken would be a lock each week. So would Hahn.

Williams isn't competing with the guys for spots. He's competing with Tiller, Morris, Lake, Hargrave, Everitt. At the moment he's almost the last in line.

From what I hear, Williams has not been performing at AFL level so despite his size, I don't think he's going to help much against the Saints unless he steps up because last time I checked, he was disgraceful against Melbourne (I know the D word is powerful but deal with it, it didn't even look like he was trying!). Also since when were Geelong going to hurt us with their key forwards? I'm close to certain Lake and Morris can easily take Hawkins and Mooney.

From what I hear, Williams has not been performing at AFL level so despite his size, I don't think he's going to help much against the Saints unless he steps up because last time I checked, he was disgraceful against Melbourne (I know the D word is powerful but deal with it, it didn't even look like he was trying!). Also since when were Geelong going to hurt us with their key forwards? I'm close to certain Lake and Morris can easily take Hawkins and Mooney.

I don't agree. If we dropped everybody who had one or two quiet games during the year we would have about 2 players in the side. IMO we cannot win a flag without a bjg CHB and to get to GF day or to win a flag we ned Williams in the team. Picking a side to winH&A games is nice and gets us into the finals where we are at least a chance but we should be getting a structure in place now that can win us a flag. I don't know who should be dropped for Williams - no one deserves it ATM but is has to be done. I think Hahn is most likely.

I don't agree. If we dropped everybody who had one or two quiet games during the year we would have about 2 players in the side. IMO we cannot win a flag without a bjg CHB and to get to GF day or to win a flag we ned Williams in the team. Picking a side to winH&A games is nice and gets us into the finals where we are at least a chance but we should be getting a structure in place now that can win us a flag. I don't know who should be dropped for Williams - no one deserves it ATM but is has to be done. I think Hahn is most likely.
I think the argument is more that you can't win a flag without tall forwards. Your defence is more about matchups. Can't see teams stretching us with Morris, Lake, Hargrave all playing and with Tiller or Everitt also available. Williams has to earn his spot.

Can you let me know which of his opponents for the day put us to the sword?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who To Drop????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back