Who was the Greatest you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

THE UUUULTIMATE WAAAARRIOR
Soo charismatic, intense and aggressive, HHH does everything to try and immitate him but is nothing compared to him.

The two greatest i have seen are very similar and thats Ken Shamrock (my fave all time) and Kurt Angle. Ankle Lock although very basic is the best submission move imo.

Top Five Wrestlers

1. Chris Benoit: the consumate professional - has the rare ability to combine technical prowess with flair. his lack of charisma is the only thing that will stop him from being regarded as the best ever.

2. Bret Hart: refined his game in a tag team before becoming one of the greatest headliners in WWF history. whether he's at fault or not, he led the WWF through one of its darkest periods, denying him the no. 1 position in my list.

3. Shawn Michaels: combines techinical ability with personality - but has gone on too long for my liking. Ric Flair has missed my list because of the same thing.

4. Owen Hart: probably a better wrestler than his brother, but Owen never really took the final step needed to turn him into one of the greats. I would have been interested to see how his career would have turned out if it hadn't been cut short so tragically.

5. Ken Shamrock: great wrestler with an even better gimmick - could he have main evented if he'd stuck around?

Top Five Performers

1. Hulk Hogan: the face of the golden generation - as much a cultural icon as he was a wrestler. who else could have inspired a 7 year old Australian kid to want to be a 'real American'? was never the best wrestler, but I'm damned if I don't still get goosebumps today when I hear that themesong...

2. Randy Savage: I hated the 'Macho King' as much as anybody, but Savage's reunion with Miss Elizabeth at Wrestlemania VII was showmanship at its best. as far as scripted moments go, this was the most 'real' and remains one of the great Wrestlemania moments. oh yeah, and the guy could work the crowd a bit too...

3. Ted DiBiase: BEST. GIMMICK. EVER. no contest. so good, in fact, that it is being recycled piece for piece in the form of 'JBL'. DiBiase was never that much of a wrestler - but this gimmick was so great that he got his own title belt, his own entourage and a long standing reign as the WWF's greatest heel. they just don't make them like they used to...

4. Steve Austin: virtually saved the WWF from a painful death in the late 90s. not much of a finisher, but he owned fans worldwide with his 'anti-hero' antics and attitude.

5. Sargeant Slaughter: I never saw the Sarge at his peak, but he makes the list for one thing only - the greatest heel turn EVER. forget the barbershop window, Sargeant Slaughter's return in late 1990 as a puppet of the Iraqi regime was the single greatest heel turn in WWF history - and set up one of the WWF's great storylines.

Bret is my pick. The best technically, a strong showman and sustained our interest for years. The psychology of his matches always sucked me in. Probably tried to hang on just a little too long though.

If it was charisma, The Rock wins hands down.

TigerFan said:
4. Owen Hart: probably a better wrestler than his brother, but Owen never really took the final step needed to turn him into one of the greats. I would have been interested to see how his career would have turned out if it hadn't been cut short so tragically.

He was apparently meant to aquire the nickname "The Game".

Buddhy said:
Stone Cold. Was nothing special as a wrestler, but as a personality, he's great.
You know what? People forget that before his neck injury Steve Austin was a hell of a great worker. Even afterwards he had a great knack for selling a wild brawl ala Terry Funk.

TigerFan said:

3. Ted DiBiase: BEST. GIMMICK. EVER. no contest. so good, in fact, that it is being recycled piece for piece in the form of 'JBL'. DiBiase was never that much of a wrestler - but this gimmick was so great that he got his own title belt, his own entourage and a long standing reign as the WWF's greatest heel. they just don't make them like they used to...

Definitely one of my fave gimmicks as well ("Get those kids out of the pool!") but you're selling Ted way short saying he was never much of a wrestler. He was one of the few WWF guys at the time that could actually wrestle a scientific match and was one of the best sellers/bump takers of the era. He might not have been flying all over the ring but he was damn solid in it.

hogan, flair, savage, austin, foley, rock, i'd even throw in mean gene oakerlund for entertainment value. and lets face it wrestling is not the main product they are selling, it is showmanship and personalities. On that count mean gene has to be included somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power21 said:
Haha. just on that, does anyone remember when Al Snow had to have a match against Head?

Nothing that the head could do to make snow look good that night!!!!

cheers

My best. (in no particular order)

Undertaker
Foley in any guise
Angle (worked so hard to get where he is in industry)
Stone Cold (could put anyone over, even when not wrestling)
The Hitman
The Macho Man
Nature Boy
Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was the Greatest you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back