Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

"Since 1995" Carlton has won 0 flags.

The rest of the post is Hawthorn-tier nerd stat massaging.

Who won the most flags in this league? If we need a tie break, who won the most games? The most finals? Who finished top more often?

These are open ended questions. The answer can change.

This year so far Carlton has been better than us (except when it really counted). That answer could change too.

Open your other eye FFS.

Open your other eye FFS.
I only have one eye pointed at Carlton at all times, and it ain't blue, son.

When did it "really count"
You know. You all know. We're the club that made Sam Walsh look lazy. Now say the game.
The dead rubber game when we rested 14 players
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Good judge Jordan Lewis.

He also said last night that it's not unreasonable to be talking about Nick Daicos becoming the greatest player of all time.
Becoming the key word here.

That's a Carlton supporter's prerogative to make that call, but the rest of the population acknowledges it.

But it's a shame for you, because you obviously don't register your 1999 Preliminary Final win.

So in the eyes of Carlton fans, it's now been 29 years since their last Grand Final appearance.

Wowee.
Yeah but in 2024 we are 2nd and Pies are 6th.

I do register it. I just don’t register our 1999 GF loss.

I am sure leading up to the 1990 GF was “exciting” for the rest of the population. Then people got on with the rest of their lives the second it finished and haven’t thought about it since. Ridiculous to think otherwise 😂
Keep tying yourself in knots...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sp you think the general public still care about the 1990 GF? It wasn’t even a classic. Just two Melbourne rivals playing against each other.
Well, I reckon if you surveyed a 1000 random football supporters and asked them who played in the 1990 Grand Final, and who won, a majority would give you the correct answer immediately.

So it is a historical event that is etched in the memory of many people.

I actually don't know where you're going here...apart from tying yourself in knots.

Well, I reckon if you surveyed a 1000 random football supporters and asked them who played in the 1990 Grand Final, and who won, a majority would give you the correct answer immediately.

So it is a historical event that is etched in the memory of many people.

I actually don't know where you're going here...apart from tying yourself in knots.

1720049819276.jpeg

If Pies lose this week its probably season over.

Then order will be restored to Collingwood perennially being a mid-table short-cut seeking side. Constantly blowing draft picks, topping up, signing irresponsible long-term contracts, shortsighted decision making in hope to get lucky against an interstate team on GF day & pinch a flag once in every 20 years.

It's been a rough time as a Blues fan vs. Pies this century, I'll admit that, but I'm comfortable with our approach since 2016 vs. the Pies. We should be contending for the next 4-5 years, and if we do most things right can remain thereabouts after that.

Pies will do some shrewd trading and finish 5th-8th every year, then pat themselves on the back for always remaining competitive despite not winning any flags & supporters will brag about Daicos winning individual accolades every year.

You never really contended in most of those GF's though, did you?
No, of course. Apparently we were merely 'participants'...

Though if you're having a crack at my definition of 'contention', I'd say 1980 was the only one I've seen where we weren't legitimately a 'contender'. Finished 5th, and belted in the Grand Final by 80 points. Happy to concede that year.

There were better teams in the competition that year than us, we just found a way to win finals that we shouldn't have, which is a great talent to have - much better than being eliminated early, or not playing finals at all...

I stopped reading here.

Because you do realise Collingwood have played in more than one third of all Grand Finals ever contested, don't you?!?

Nah in all seriousness, since the era of equalization really kicked in and took hold in 05-06, you've played in 4 GF's, not bad on paper but:

2010-2011 was a top side.

2018 got lucky with a top 4 finish from the easiest draw ever & caught Richmond with the flu in a Prelim, lost to an interstate side that never fired a shot since that year (lost to them twice that finals series actually).

2023 was a down year where once again you had the luck of drawing an interstate side on GF day.

Collingwood should get with the times and aim for dynasty's imo.

If Pies lose this week its probably season over.

Then order will be restored to Collingwood perennially being a mid-table short-cut seeking side. Constantly blowing draft picks, topping up, signing irresponsible long-term contracts, shortsighted decision making in hope to get lucky against an interstate team on GF day & pinch a flag once in every 20 years.

It's been a rough time as a Blues fan vs. Pies this century, I'll admit that, but I'm comfortable with our approach since 2016 vs. the Pies. We should be contending for the next 4-5 years, and if we do most things right can remain thereabouts after that.

Pies will do some shrewd trading and finish 5th-8th every year, then pat themselves on the back for always remaining competitive despite not winning any flags & supporters will brag about Daicos winning individual accolades every year.

The shit Daicos brother is the one with the individual accolade of the two. 😂

Nah in all seriousness, since the era of equalization really kicked in and took hold in 05-06, you've played in 4 GF's, not bad on paper but:

2010-2011 was a top side.

2018 got lucky with a top 4 finish from the easiest draw ever & caught Richmond with the flu in a Prelim, lost to an interstate side that never fired a shot since that year (lost to them twice that finals series actually).

2023 was a down year where once again you had the luck of drawing an interstate side on GF day.

Collingwood should get with the times and aim for dynasty's imo.
Oh, yet another interesting timeline.

'Only 4 Grand Finals'? That's four more than Carlton, and there aren't many teams who have played in more.

Geelong 6.
Sydney 6.
Hawthorn 5.

Any others?

And the cut off date two years after we played in two more consecutive Grand Finals.

Also unlucky not to play in Grand Finals in 2007, 2019, and 2022, with Preliminary Final margins of less than a kick.

Knot tying...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back