Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, I don't think it's irrelevant. I'm glad he's no longer chasing underage girls and he's having a positive societal impact, but his past absolutely impacts the standards accepted.

With regards to the players in your club I'll accede to you in terms of who the figjam blokes are, from the outside looking in it seems like a many more of the players are getting high off their own supply without putting in the work to do so.

Hawthorn is currently getting high off its own supply, and I dont know how sustainable it is over the decade or so this playing group could largely be together. Right now it works though.
His standards were decent enough to win the Bulldogs a flag while he was doing that and Libba, Dalhaus and Hunter were gacked out of their minds, bullying and taking shits in premiership heroes lockers. Now we've got arguably the best small forward in the competition getting blotto on who knows what to the point of ambulance mid season.

I'm just curious why does having a bad culture or significant rogue elements seem to not effect any other team than Essendon?

IMO it's because there are far more significant issues, like the lack of innate football ability of the playing group that are to blame.

There's "winning culture," which no one can really define and is used often in BigFooty.

But there is also simply good culture too - which is what I believe Mitchell has developed and fostered at the club. Mitchell has created this environment that is helping our players really feel valued, enjoy their footy, be themselves and ultimately succeed. The new recruits (Chol, Ginnivan and D'Ambrosio) have come in and felt embraced by the club straight away.

BTW I'm not saying other clubs don't do this as well, because obviously they do too, but it's been really evident that this is what has been happening at Hawthorn.

Last edited:

His standards were decent enough to win the Bulldogs a flag while he was doing that and Libba, Dalhaus and Hunter were gacked out of their minds, bullying and taking shits in premiership heroes lockers. Now we've got arguably the best small forward in the competition getting blotto on who knows what to the point of ambulance mid season.

I'm just curious why does having a bad culture or significant rogue elements seem to not effect any other team than Essendon?

IMO it's because there are far more significant issues, like the lack of innate football ability of the playing group that are to blame.
I wouldn't say the Dogs are a good example of a team that nailed culture during that time- yes they won, but since then they've arguably wasted their list and I think that comes down to the standards they allowed during thst time.

I'd say that many clubs are impacted by rogue elements and bad culture, I think that it's a football issue in general and that as a code there's a mountain of work to do on that front.
This thread is focused on Essendon and Hawthorn though- god knows the Hawks have had their horrible moments in recent times and it's something that we have addressed and continue to acknowledge.

The ability of the playing group is definitely a big factor though, I'll grant you that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But whatever the case, it’s typical Essendon supporter to think that Parish is on the same level as duke. It’s delusional at it’s absolute peak
But, but, but he won the Anzac, Dreamtime and Country medals! Only person ever to do it! Elite I tells ya!

Not to mention that the only players that can do that triple are exclusively Essendon players and two of those games the Bombers were smashed.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bombers fans still think you finish 10 wins higher this year?

Thanks for D'Ambrosio BTW.
nope, im in awe of the hard and tough conversations your football club is committed to making in the best interests of taking it forward.

meanwhile our retiring and esteemed superhero just won't ****ing die.

Kudos to the Hawks. It hurts to say this but they are a fun watch and well on the right track

nope, im in awe of the hard and tough conversations your football club is committed to making in the best interests of taking it forward.

meanwhile our retiring and esteemed superhero just won't ****ing die.

Kudos to the Hawks. It hurts to say this but they are a fun watch and well on the right track

They play the way football should be played.

Carlton were in their shell before the injuries. They just wanted to win and get out of the MCG as quickly as possible.

Hawks throw everything into it and dont play for tomorrow.

They play the way football should be played.

Carlton were in their shell before the injuries. They just wanted to win and get out of the MCG as quickly as possible.

Hawks throw everything into it and dont play for tomorrow.
yeh, openly admitted in the other thread to SYL that the Hawks are playing a good brand of football. No excuses, no showboating just head down play for the jumper, play for each other and defend like its your last game.

Happy that someone is using Massimo's skills by the way

yeh, openly admitted in the other thread to SYL that the Hawks are playing a good brand of football. No excuses, no showboating just head down play for the jumper, play for each other and defend like its your last game.

Happy that someone is using Massimo's skills by the way

He should be in the AA squad. Just playing so well.

He should be in the AA squad. Just playing so well.
yep, not just that but the positivity within the group. the belief. defies logic that such a young group is the form side in the competition. A side some may not want to come up against in the 9th month of the year

Hawthorn have some of, it not the best youth in the league imo. I'd rather be them even if they are below Essendon in 2024. They will be winning a flag sooner

I remember Dons fans laughing at this suggestion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Back