• Kangaroos

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Carlton

Votes: 14 13.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, can I ask everyone out there why no-one rates the Roos during every off season?

It seems that every year we are expected to fail, yet time and time again we see and hear people during the season talking about this shinboner spirit. What changes during season and off season?

Of course, I am biased, so I'd be really interested to others views.

Didnt Grand Thomas come out at the beginning of THIS season and say something like:

'We have a great list of youngsters and now the time has come. No more developing, we will make the 8 this year.'

I havent heard anything about that comment since the season started.
Whats to say it wont happen again?
Im a skeptic at predicting Saint Kilda improvement. Its not that I dont wish them good fortune, its just that... well... I have never really seen them improve. (started following the footy in 96)

i cant believe with my own eyes there was a guarantee that the cats will make the top 4!!!!!! how is that possible???? the cats will not be better than port, lions, pies, crows, bombers..

they will be LUCKY to make the 8, and that should be their ONLY goal next year..they are simply not a top 4 team...

in answer to the question, i think cats, saints, and dogs will be the most improved sides, all fighting for 8th..

I think the Doggies will be the big improvers. There list is alot better than last position.

Saying that, I think next seasons ladder will look alot like this seasons. I can't see alot of the top 8 teams dropping out of the 8. Hawthorns list suggests that they should be top 6, I'd tip them for the 8. Saints should make the 8 also but who drops out???

Originally posted by jonesy
Out of interest, can I ask everyone out there why no-one rates the Roos during every off season?

It seems that every year we are expected to fail, yet time and time again we see and hear people during the season talking about this shinboner spirit. What changes during season and off season?

Don't worry about it mate, I love how people don't respect us the way they should. Just think of it this way results are what matter and I know we have delivered a whole lot more over the years than most sides in the comp even then people didn't rate us that high. Look at even last year how often did we people ranting & raving about how good St Kilda were, yet we finish above them, better percentage & we beat them by more than they beat us. Let sides like St Kilda, Richmond & Hawthorn or any glamour side for that fact take on the pressure of having to deliver, I am happy to sit back and watch OUR team keep answering the critics, time & time again.

The side that will improve the most will be the side who:

a) has fewest injuries relative to last year
b) identified deficencies and traded to rectify them
c) has decent 3rd/4th year players who are ready to step up

a) Dogs - can't possibly have as many injuries to the same type of player as last year
b) Dogs - needed a back-up ruck (Street), someone who tackled (Koops), defensive height (Morgan, FWIW) and most importantly, a key forward (Rawlings)
c) Dogs - millions of them

Interesting voting.

The Bulldogs have lost brown and he will be a big loss IMO. They will get, presumably, Rawlings who will be handy and Grant will come back but will he be fit and is he past his best anyway? Time will tell. I can't see much more to drive the Dog's upward unfortunately. Their young players are still skinny and showed little last year to suggest they will step up soon. Murphy will continue to improve but by and large the ageing group of West, Smith and Johnson will have to carry them and they weren't capable of doing that last season.

Everyone has jumped on the Saints bandwagon. I'm not on yet but I'm walking toward it. A lot depends of youngsters and we'll see if they measure up to they hype soon enough. Right now I'm not putting any hard earned on hype and junk time wins.

Carlton will be a bit better brand of crap but will finish bottom 4. They have improved their list by taking out some senior quality, some has-beens and some complete dud's and replacing them with blokes that will compete but aren't good enough and Stevens (probably) and Scotland who will both be handy. I doubt they'll offset McKay to a great enough extent to improve the side enough to rise out of the bottom 4. We'll see whether Pagan can coach though.

North are playing a good brand of footy. They need more consistency though. They still lack plenty in the key positions. Wells will be interesting. Will he get second year blues or will be one that steadily improves and gets more consistent? They will improve a bit.

Geelong showed that a small run of wins in 2002 was an aberration for a team with 1 very good key position player, 1 very good ruckman and a few promising kids lead by another failed Sheedy disciple. The Hafey gene lasts only 1 generation.

All in all I don't these teams will improving much at all. North and St.Kilda will battle out a spot from 6th to 10 with about 8 clubs. The others will battle out the bottom 4 with Melbourne.

Originally posted by jonesy

Well personally I dont think North should be on the list. They did well for themselves this year I believe, and didnt really do any trades of any note so they will be around the 8 mark again this year.

Originally posted by MarkT
Interesting voting.

The Bulldogs have lost brown and he will be a big loss IMO. They will get, presumably, Rawlings who will be handy and Grant will come back but will he be fit and is he past his best anyway? Time will tell. I can't see much more to drive the Dog's upward unfortunately. Their young players are still skinny and showed little last year to suggest they will step up soon. Murphy will continue to improve but by and large the ageing group of West, Smith and Johnson will have to carry them and they weren't capable of doing that last season.

You seriously underestimate the value of Grant towards the Bulldogs. He doesnt have to be playing a great game and he is still an inspiration for the rest of the team. Brown is a big loss but if really needed Johnno could go into the forward line and be just as effective as Brown. Hopefully he wont though because we finally have some height.

The big factor for a big improvement with the Bulldogs is the formation that we will play with. if we play with a tall forward line and actually finally play accountable football, then I think we are looking for a 8-12 spot.

Originally posted by scooter600x
The side that will improve the most will be the side who:

a) has fewest injuries relative to last year
b) identified deficencies and traded to rectify them
c) has decent 3rd/4th year players who are ready to step up
d) learns to tackle in the summer
e) adds strength and bulk to young frames in the summer
f) has a decent coaching panel
Originally posted by scooter600x
a) Dogs - can't possibly have as many injuries to the same type of player as last year
b) Dogs - needed a back-up ruck (Street), someone who tackled (Koops), defensive height (Morgan, FWIW) and most importantly, a key forward (Rawlings)
c) Dogs - millions of them
d) Bugger
e) Bugger
f) and Bugger.

Having said that, I do believe we will improve simply because we can't possibly get much worse. I'd like to be more optimistic but I don't believe the words the coaching staff mouth anymore - I want to see accountability, not read about it in the coach's after match press conference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

who will be most improved club in 2004

Back