Who will be the last team to be beaten by GC and GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows have had a poor start to the season and the Suns have done better than expected, but beating an Adelaide team trying to rebound from a loss to the lowly Kangaroos is a tough ask for the Gold Coast, and I think it will be too much for the Suns, especially as the match is a Crows' home game.

This will end this weekend, Suns will win by 4 or 5 goals. But NEVER forget who was the first to lose to the GC..

on page 1 I made a crack about Richmond at the time being the only team not to defeat Gold Coast - I'm pretty sure it's garnered the most likes of any single post I've made

But I would happily trade being the first to have lost to Gold Coast, or the last to beat them, for a goddamn flag

This is a hollow victory when all is said and done

on page 1 I made a crack about Richmond at the time being the only team not to defeat Gold Coast - I'm pretty sure it's garnered the most likes of any single post I've made

But I would happily trade being the first to have lost to Gold Coast, or the last to beat them, for a goddamn flag

This is a hollow victory when all is said and done
Didn't port lose to gc first not us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the Bears didn’t beat West Coast until their final season before they merged with Fitzroy, 1996. Before then they'd only managed a draw (similar to GC), in 1992, courtesy of a goal after the siren. Take into account GC only just breaking the duck against them, and GWS only just did last round, it took Freo about 10 games to beat them as well, WCE are notoriously hard to beat for newcomers of the comp.
For the record, Adelaide first beat West Coast in their third season in 1993, and Port Adelaide took four seasons to do so – doing so after being well behind in the first half in a game that proved a turning point for the fortunes of both clubs.

Carlton and Collingwood showed similar records against the new clubs of 1908 and 1925. Apart from University, who defeated the Blues for the one and only time in the opening round of 1909, and Richmond’s win over Collingwood in Round 15 of their debut 1908 season, none of the other new clubs of those eras defeated the Blues or Magpies in their first three seasons. Richmond would not defeat Carlton until the second round of 1918 nor repeat their 1908 win over Collingwood until 1914, and University would never defeat Collingwood.

North Melbourne and Footscray both defeated Carlton for the first time in 1928, although North would not repeat their victory until 1936 and Footscray beat Carlton only once (in Round 17, 1931 plus a draw in Round 7, 1935) between 1929 and 1939. Hawthorn, financially impoverished and located in the heartland of amateur sport, would not defeat Carlton until Round 5, 1939. Collingwood would not lose to North Melbourne or Footscray until 1933 and would not lose to Hawthorn in peacetime until Round 4, 1955, although in the wartime seasons of 1942 and 1943 Hawthorn did defeat Collingwood teams enormously weakened by war service and bans on champions Todd and Fothergill for crossing without clearances to VFA club Williamstown.

This thread is now done.
Given the disruption of COVID-19, it will be interesting to see if and when Gold Coast can beat Adelaide once COVID-19 is over and a drug or vaccine found? I don’t expect COVID-19 to last until 2041 (the timespan corresponding to Hawthorn’s first peacetime win over Collingwood), nor that Gold Coast will fail to beat the Crows in a season unaffected by COVID-19 before 2041, even if teams do not play each other every season in the future.

For the record, it was “done”:
  1. three seasons “later” than with Port Adelaide
  2. four seasons “later” than with Fremantle
  3. at the same relative time as with Brisbane
  4. seven seasons “later” than with West Coast
  5. one season “later” than with Footscray and North Melbourne
  6. eight seasons “earlier” than with Hawthorn
  7. fifteen peacetime seasons “earlier” than with Hawthorn
  8. at the same relative time as with Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be the last team to be beaten by GC and GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back