Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1 2009 - Richmond V's Carlton or Hawthorn V's Geelong

Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1

• Richmond V's Carlton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn V's Geelong ( Grand Final Replay )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Far less interest Hawkk.

For example. I am a neutral. I was interested in Rnd 17 last year. I went. I am not interested in the Grand Final rematch this year. I am not going to go to it. I am interested in the Rich vs Carl game. I am going to go to that. Lots of people in the same boat as me. :thumbsu:

So you agree, a game between 2 strongly supported Victorian clubs (GF replay and round 1 and all) will struggle to attract 60-70,000, when Hawthorn-Sydney (for example) drew 48,000 and 49,000 respectively in rounds 12 and 15 last year and 2007?

FWIW, the corresponding Richmond-Carlton fixture(s) had the same hype last year (frankly Id consider Judd a bigger story then Cousins on account of Judd possibly being the best player of our generation) struggled to attract 75,000 last season.

Do you think a Richmond-Carlton GF replay would outdraw a Cousins V Judd, 9th V 11th match?

Its not about which clubs are 'bigger' its about which clubs exhibt more skills and which game promises to have more bearing on the premiership - it goes without saying its very, very unlikely Carlton and Richmond will have any bearing at all on the top 4 next year. When all the hype dies down both are still mediocre clubs fighting in the rat race for the 5-8 ladder positions

Also of note, prior to the Geelong-Hawthorn games last year, it was unheard of for 2 'non big 4' Victorian clubs to attract 80,000+ to the MCG for a home and away game or 100,000+ to a GF since the seating was put into the Ponsford Stand, not bad for clubs, who at the time, supposedly couldn't attract a crowd by themselves

I would be very surprised if the Richmond-Carlton game outdraws the Friday Game, unless Channel 10 promote the shit out of the game and Channel 7 fail to promote a proper game again

I am not going to try and guess each crowd, but yes I think there is far more interest in the carlton vs richmond game. Footy isn't always about premierships and the best teams. Look at Essendon vs Richmond in rnd 21, 2007.

What I can say with 100% certainty is that as a neutral who was pumped up to see Rnd 17 last year, I don't have ANY interest in the GF rematch, but am pumped up to see Richmond vs Carlton. I feel that many others share my point of view.

FWIW, the corresponding Richmond-Carlton fixture(s) had the same hype last year (frankly Id consider Judd a bigger story then Cousins on account of Judd possibly being the best player of our generation) struggled to attract 75,000 last season.

Yeah but that game started at a ridiculous time of 6:10pm and was also shown live on channel 10. It was also a cold night and probably the coldest night of the year up until that point as we had 35+ degree weather for ages leading up to the day before. The fact that the game is on at the normal 7:40pm this time and I assume it will be delayed on tv and the weather will be good, you'd expect at least an extra 5,000 people to show up compared to last year. Last year the clubs were coming from the bottom 2 positions, this year they are coming from mid ladder and expected to rise. There is also the addition of Cousins. This should add a further 5,000. If we could get 73,000 last year, I'm sure we can get 85,000 this year due to the above factors. There will be plenty more supporters from both clubs and also neutrals

Do you think a Richmond-Carlton GF replay would outdraw a Cousins V Judd, 9th V 11th match?

Its not about which clubs are 'bigger' its about which clubs exhibt more skills and which game promises to have more bearing on the premiership - it goes without saying its very, very unlikely Carlton and Richmond will have any bearing at all on the top 4 next year. When all the hype dies down both are still mediocre clubs fighting in the rat race for the 5-8 ladder positions

If thats the case then why did a game between 15th and 16th draw 70,000 last year? 40,000 more than the grand final replay.

And Judd may be a bigger draw card than Cousins. But this game not only has the addition of Cousins but the whole Judd vs Cousins factor. Not to mention both supporter bases are expecting finals this year.

I would be very surprised if the Richmond-Carlton game outdraws the Friday Game, unless Channel 10 promote the shit out of the game and Channel 7 fail to promote a proper game again
No it's not. It's about who gets the bigger crowd. As rosstickle said, if it was as you say, then how come the Geelong - Port game drew so few? Surely they had to be considered as good a chance as any to "shape the top 4"?

If/when Richmond Carlton does outdraw your mob, you shouldn't be allowed to blame the TV stations.

If thats the case then why did a game between 15th and 16th draw 70,000 last year? 40,000 more than the grand final replay.

And Judd may be a bigger draw card than Cousins. But this game not only has the addition of Cousins but the whole Judd vs Cousins factor. Not to mention both supporter bases are expecting finals this year.

The corresponding game in 2007 drew 58,000 (also in round 1) with Carlton coming off a Pre Season premiership

The 15,000 that went along to the round 1 game last year that didn't in 2007 were driven by the Judd factor among other things - season opening game etc.

For that reason you can't just pass the game off as merely a '15th V 16th game' it was much more then that, as I'm sure this game will be as well.

All things being equal, Richmond-Carlton should draw 70-75,000 when both clubs are there and there abouts around the eight - as last years 100G at the G suggests.

Is Cousin V Judd bigger then 'the' Chris Judd game last year and Richmond's 100,000 at the G contest last year?

No it's not. It's about who gets the bigger crowd. As rosstickle said, if it was as you say, then how come the Geelong - Port game drew so few? Surely they had to be considered as good a chance as any to "shape the top 4"?

If/when Richmond Carlton does outdraw your mob, you shouldn't be allowed to blame the TV stations.

Completely non comparable.

In 2007 Geelong played Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium and drew 26,465, the next year - on the back of the greatest GF defeat in VFL/AFL history they drew 28,206 for the GF replay so the crowd was larger. In contrast Hawthorn/Geelong last year drew 86,179 and played in one of possibly the biggest grand final upsets in modern history

In contrast Carlton and Richmond played in 2 'historic' home and away games last year and drew 72k and 73k respectively

Carlton-Richmond may well outdrew Hawthorn/Geelong (thanks 100% to the neutral factor and nothing to do with the teams involved) but it just seems unlikely given last years Hawthorn/Geelong game outdrew any Richmond/Carlton home and away game in VFL/AFL history

Yeah but that game started at a ridiculous time of 6:10pm and was also shown live on channel 10. It was also a cold night and probably the coldest night of the year up until that point as we had 35+ degree weather for ages leading up to the day before. The fact that the game is on at the normal 7:40pm this time and I assume it will be delayed on tv and the weather will be good, you'd expect at least an extra 5,000 people to show up compared to last year. Last year the clubs were coming from the bottom 2 positions, this year they are coming from mid ladder and expected to rise. There is also the addition of Cousins. This should add a further 5,000. If we could get 73,000 last year, I'm sure we can get 85,000 this year due to the above factors. There will be plenty more supporters from both clubs and also neutrals

Which was still less then Hawthorn/Geelong last year.

Either way, the largest Richmond/Carlton home and away crowd ever was 84,745 set back in 1995, do you really think that this years Richmond/Carlton game is the biggest Richmond/Carlton home and away game ever, if so, it doesn't say much for the famous Richmond/Carlton rivalry does it?

Richmond/Carlton could well outdraw Hawthorn/Geelong, but to me it seems unlikely given the standing of both games. Hypothetically if Richmond won the flag last year, Carlton came second and they played in a GF replay do you think more people would go to a Hawthorn V Geelong game featuring Judd and Cousins?

In 2007 Geelong played Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium and drew 26,465, the next year - on the back of the greatest GF defeat in VFL/AFL history they drew 28,206 for the GF replay so the crowd was larger. In contrast Hawthorn/Geelong last year drew 86,179 and played in one of possibly the biggest grand final upsets in modern history

In contrast Carlton and Richmond played in 2 'historic' home and away games last year and drew 72k and 73k respectively

Carlton-Richmond may well outdrew Hawthorn/Geelong (thanks 100% to the neutral factor and nothing to do with the teams involved) but it just seems unlikely given last years Hawthorn/Geelong game outdrew any Richmond/Carlton home and away game in VFL/AFL history

The Round 17 Hawthorn/Geelong clash has to be looked at in the perspective of when it occurred & the fact that it was the first clash for the season of the competition's 2 best teams. It was eagerly anticipated because of the lack of a previous opportunity to measure where the respective teams were at. It very much reminds me of the much anticipated Carlton/Essendon clash of Round 20, 2000, which drew a crowd of 91,571, on the back of the teams clearly being the 2 best teams in the competition at that time. This was in contrast to the Round 5, 2000 clash, which only drew 64,658, despite being the first clash between the 2 teams since the 1999 PF.

But you said it's about who's more chance of shaping the four. 15th vs 16th or 1st vs 2nd? You'd think the latter would comfortbaly outdraw going by your theory.

Anyway, I'm against arguing about crowd sizes, so I'm out.
Nice day to you, sir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

richmond vs carlton is the sensationalised "blockbuster" which in reality is annything but.

Hawthorn vs Geelong is the real blockbuster.
I suggest you read up about the great rivalry between Richmond and Carlton which surfaced 40yrs ago.The hatred between to two clubs is only matched by one other,Carl vs Coll.
You see the reality is we dont need clashes to be GF replays to get the blockbuster status.There,s your reality.

Such a shame that Hawthorn supporters can never experience what it is like to be part of the Big 4. To go to a match where your Big 4 club is facing anothe Big 4 club. There is something magical about it. Call me sentimental, but there is definitely a hint of fairy dust in that air.

A bit of temporary on field success doesn't make a small club like Hawthorn any more significant in the grand scheme of things. The big 4 flags are the ones that matter, 56 of them. The other 56 flags are all miscellanous in my mind. It is a well known fact that simply nobody cares about who wins the flag unless it is Essendon, carlton, Collingwood or Richmond.

This is the exact reason why the match that the football public cares about more involves the two worst performed teams of the decade, instead of the two best sides going around at the moment. The Big 4 triumphs over all. It's such a shame that Hawthorn supporters can't ever experience what it is like to be involved in matches of such magnitude. Thank god the club I chose to support is not one of the small ones, my experience following football would be much worse off if it was.

Such a shame that Hawthorn supporters can never experience what it is like to be part of the Big 4. To go to a match where your Big 4 club is facing anothe Big 4 club. There is something magical about it. Call me sentimental, but there is definitely a hint of fairy dust in that air.

A bit of temporary on field success doesn't make a small club like Hawthorn any more significant in the grand scheme of things. The big 4 flags are the ones that matter, 56 of them. The other 56 flags are all miscellanous in my mind. It is a well known fact that simply nobody cares about who wins the flag unless it is Essendon, carlton, Collingwood or Richmond.

This is the exact reason why the match that the football public cares about more involves the two worst performed teams of the decade, instead of the two best sides going around at the moment. The Big 4 triumphs over all. It's such a shame that Hawthorn supporters can't ever experience what it is like to be involved in matches of such magnitude. Thank god the club I chose to support is not one of the small ones, my experience following football would be much worse off if it was.
Trolling so hard you've doubled up on the bait.

You can have your Big4.....we'll have our $4million profits, Premierships and the best forward in the game.

Richmond v Carlton.

Supporters of those teams have more to be interested in. Both are up and comers and this game should show us who is ahead ATM.

Cats and Hawks fans will be interested obviously, but I would say a round one game for them would seem less important in the scheme of things.

There's a lot more interest in the Blues and Tigers game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1 2009 - Richmond V's Carlton or Hawthorn V's Geelong

Back