Who will take the biggest step forward this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think Bateman is back bigtime. In fact he is more likely than not to be picked for round one.
correct about Changa, he is in the side for round 1, if his body can hold up his gut running will be a big plus for us. However the player that needs to step up the most on our list is Cryil, for a player of his ability to only average about 12-13 possies a game isnt anywhere near good enough, he has to go from a flashy in and out of the game player, to a consistant ball winner and lift his average possesions into the 20s, then he will have realised his potential and we will have won the flag.

I am sorry, but Bateman turns the ball over way too much. He cost us big time in the Prelim last year and watching him against GWS, I saw that he kicked out on the full with no pressure, and he still persists with those little dinky kicks that go nowhere and half the time lead to direct turnovers.

All I hear is about his gut running. Well it doesn't help if you keep kicking the ball to the other side.

I have loved Changa over the last 10 years, but I will be terribly disappointed if he is selected ahead of Savage, who could well move on if he does not get opportunities this year.

I don't know if this is considered taking 'a big step forward' but Brent Guerra has been a fantastic pick up by Clarko. He has been an outstanding player for us for the best part of 5 years now. He is in for another good year.

Games 2006: 15 Disposals: 18.4
Games 2007: 24 Disposals: 20
Games 2008: 21 Disposals: 20.7
Games 2009: 17 Disposals: 19.3
Games 2010: 23 Disposals: 18.8
Games 2011: 22 Disposals: 17.8

So as you can see here, he has been very durable player during his time as a Hawk & has been consistent and sneaking under the radar. If his body can hold up, he could easily play for another 2 years after this year. It doesn't look like he is showing any signs of slowing down. :thumbsu: Osborne & Bateman still have some juice left in them. lol :) Another player who will improve on last years output is Whitecross, I have to admit he is better then what i thought he would be, there i said it! lol He is primed for a big season and looks fit. One to watch out for this year.

Bateman hasn't been the same since he cut off his dreadlocks. He is past his best.

Your right, I came to this conclusion years ago.
Some blokes just need their dreadies.
Though, note sheding them did Buddy no harm.
Do I recall Ruff came to us with a Mop?

Changa to BH to grow Dreadies, returns to make September his own

Tom Schneider. We will upgrade him and he will play 15 games and take the footy world by storm. The next Michael Barlow, minus the broken legs.

Also a fantastic guy, great personality, could become captain one day.

One step at a time though, elevate the ****er.

Whitecross - I think he will take the next step, wouldn't be surprised to see him close to the top 5 in the b&f.

That is a huge, huge call. If he finishes top 5 then we are in for one hell of a season as supporters.

Thinking/Hoping he will improve but maybe not to this extent. Like your postive thinking though.

Interesting to see the number of people who think Whitecross will impress this year. I like the guy, don't get me wrong, but I guess I only really saw him as your every day, run of the mill footballer who gets the job done. Which I think he's doing now. It would be great though if he stepped it up.

Interesting to see the number of people who think Whitecross will impress this year. I like the guy, don't get me wrong, but I guess I only really saw him as your every day, run of the mill footballer who gets the job done. Which I think he's doing now. It would be great though if he stepped it up.
I'm the same mate he doesn't really seem like much of an inside or outside mid, just a generic midfielder. I wouldn't mind seeing him play half back again though, i thought he played his best footy when he was down there.

R. Schoenmakers, has had his doubters and share of injuries. With quality defenders around him he can step up and be a key player across this season. I hope he grabs the opportunity and takes the biggest step forward this year.

I'm the same mate he doesn't really seem like much of an inside or outside mid, just a generic midfielder. I wouldn't mind seeing him play half back again though, i thought he played his best footy when he was down there.

I think he was excellent last year. The defensive forward role was something he excelled at, however he'll rise to a new level once he gets confidence in his attacking game. His decision making (and indecision) really made his skill look awful at times, when in fact he's quite a sharp user.

My vote for the biggest step forward this year is Schoenmakers. I think something clicked in the nab cup. Brereton says that he always asks players "at what stage did you look around and realize that you belonged out there on the footy field".

I think Schoenmakers has just realized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Share your sentiments with schoey LP. Will absolutely come into his own. Him and Sav to be the big ones by the end of the year. Also expect shiels to take strides and consolidate his 11 form.

R. Schoenmakers, has had his doubters and share of injuries. With quality defenders around him he can step up and be a key player across this season. I hope he grabs the opportunity and takes the biggest step forward this year.

Yep he's number 1
Number 2 would be Savage
Number 3 White X (If he starts kicking the goals he should or will be very pivotal. He is the go to guy out of defence)

Luke B

Took HUGE steps last year. Bulked up a bit, more fitness. Won't be sub to often and should be good for about 2 goals a game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few mins in the midfield per quarter either.

Also with others in saying whiteX (constant improver over the last few years)
Lewis (based on his finals series)
Shoe
Rioli

Geez we're in for a special year

Hale has shown pre-season he's coming on strong. Now that he's settled in from last year, he'll be asserting himself a lot better and more confidently as he now considers himself Hawthorn and not ex-North. Expect big things.

I've been talking up Shiels for this year. It's more than expectation, he needs to push up to be even better than last year otherwise he risks going backwards. He could be a star, he just needs to get to that next level. Push yourself Pup, you are capable of the extraordinary.

As others have said, Savage is the next likely. Lots of upside. Plenty of potential. Needs to convert it into his game.

As with any footy club, if the leaders show the way, everyone else will follow. I don't think we can go wrong with Hodgey at the reins. He's a guy I respect like few others.

I am sorry, but Bateman turns the ball over way too much. He cost us big time in the Prelim last year and watching him against GWS, I saw that he kicked out on the full with no pressure, and he still persists with those little dinky kicks that go nowhere and half the time lead to direct turnovers.

All I hear is about his gut running. Well it doesn't help if you keep kicking the ball to the other side.

I have loved Changa over the last 10 years, but I will be terribly disappointed if he is selected ahead of Savage, who could well move on if he does not get opportunities this year.
Savage does have great potential but for him to become a top liners he really has to toughen up, I'm sorry but right now he is a touch on the soft side for mine , even the babies at GWS were winning the one on ones with him a few weeks ago, if he can get this part of his game sorted then he will be an automatic selection in our best side.

I think he was excellent last year. The defensive forward role was something he excelled at, however he'll rise to a new level once he gets confidence in his attacking game. His decision making (and indecision) really made his skill look awful at times, when in fact he's quite a sharp user.

My vote for the biggest step forward this year is Schoenmakers. I think something clicked in the nab cup. Brereton says that he always asks players "at what stage did you look around and realize that you belonged out there on the footy field".

i totally agree LP:thumbsu: You notice when he didn't have time to think, he generally put it exactly where he wanted it, but when he had a little time he seemed to get rushed and flustered. I think your bit on Shoey and Brereton applies equally to WhiteX!

If these two shine, we are in for a bumper year!:D

I agree - I think Shoe will be the biggest step fwd. The reason I dont think Shiels will is that he is already coming off an extremely good base (2011) so it will be harder to increase his output the same percentage some one like Shoe, Savage has.

I think WhiteX will have a big year, but when looking at what he did last year it was pretty solid - the ability to increase that to the same percentage as Shoe again will see him not been number 1 at this.

SHOEY - really think has to take a big step forward this year and also with the return of some fit players this year it should perhaps take some pressure off him which will def help..

BURGER- as we all know was a star at port adelaide and has been solid for us i dont believe the best is past him just yet i think an outstanding year for him could be difference between us winning a flag ....

LEWIS- i love him , he frustrates me , i dont want to say anymore

shiels/savage/smith will obviously improve just a matter of how much of a step they can take in the next 6 mths ... i perhaps see the biggest mover being savage. shiels is a star. smith will become one is he stays at the hawks ;-)

SHOEY - really think has to take a big step forward this year and also with the return of some fit players this year it should perhaps take some pressure off him which will def help..

BURGER- as we all know was a star at port adelaide and has been solid for us i dont believe the best is past him just yet i think an outstanding year for him could be difference between us winning a flag ....

LEWIS- i love him , he frustrates me , i dont want to say anymore

shiels/savage/smith will obviously improve just a matter of how much of a step they can take in the next 6 mths ... i perhaps see the biggest mover being savage. shiels is a star. smith will become one is he stays at the hawks ;-)

Can you? I don't really understand.

It appears to me that Roughy will at least start the season in defence & as you have posted TM (& as was seconded by LP & others), I believe the biggest beneficiary of this (after HFC of course) will be Schoenmakers.

And for the same reasons. Having big & accomplished defenders in (Roughy) Gibson & Stratton around him to assist will afford him the time he needs to develop instead of effectively throwing him in the deep end each week & hoping he magically learns to swim.

I can't wait to see what he can do on the rebound when he plays predominantly across HB instead of being dragged deep all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will take the biggest step forward this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back