Who will the Hawks pick up in the National and Pre Season Drafts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wanna get your comments on who you think the Hawks will pick up in the up and coming drafts?
My thoughts are...

NATIONAL DRAFT
2. Richard Tambling
Tambling is football’s version of the Human Highlight Reel. An extremely exciting onballer and flanker, he has blistering pace and is capable of the extraordinary. He has the ability to tear a game apart with his brilliant skills, running and ability to kick impossible goals. He has a big leap on him and is very agile.
Tambling is a good leader and was captain of the NT side in the recent carnival. He works very hard defensively, his tackling and smothering is a real feature. His hands are extremely clean and he can be damaging at the stoppages.

5. Jarryd Roughead
Roughead is an exciting tall prospect who can play either as a centre-half forward or centre-half back. He is a fantastic mark, takes a lot of one-grab marks and reads the flight of the ball very well. ‘Roughie’ has fantastic mobility for a big man and covers a lot of territory during a game. He is very good below his knees for his size, and is able to kick some clever goals on the run.
Jarryd is a very versatile player with a massive leap and plenty of potential in him. He is a booming left foot kick and really works hard.

7. Cameron Wood
Wood is a genuine tap ruckman who is already shown his ability in the SANFL under Shaun Rehn. He has a very good leap on him, and his tapwork is excellent for such a young player, he rarely loses a ruck contest.
Wood is also capable of taking some strong marks around the ground, and like most talls will only get better with time. Looks the best of a strong ruck field

21. Matthew Bate
Bate is a red-headed utility who was only given an exemption to the draft in September, a week after he was declared the winner of the Morrish Medal. His main asset is his versatility - Matthew can play great footy at either end of the ground. He was excellent in defence early in the year, before moving forward late in the season, where he has kicked several big bags.
There is a lot to like about his game. He is a long and accurate kick, good with his hands and very good at mopping up in defence. He has great goal sense as well, capable of the freakish snap as well as the set shot.

26. Roury Kirkby
Kirkby has been one of the surprise packets of 2004, going from his local side Echuca in April to All-Australian selection in July. He is a very slight key position player who has done well at centre-half back and centre-half forward. Ruory has exceptional foot skills for a big man, can nail targets very well. Is a good mark and usually a good set shot, and can also kick goals on the run.
He really stepped up at the Carnival, doing a good job in defence on Ryan Willits and excelling at centre-half forward in the other two matches.

53. Jesse D. Smith
The 'other' Jesse Smith has made himself a creative centreman after playing last year as a forward. His ability to perform well in two very different positions has been impressive. He was awesome in the TAC Cup Grand Final, gathering over 35 touches.
Smith is excellent at the clearances and will win a lot of contested footy. He has good courage and fantastic goal sense, he is adept at snapping a goal or two. Kicking is usually pretty good.

PRE SEASON DRAFT
2. Steven Salopek??

u'd b rapt with those players if you got them, but i strongly doubt bater and kirkby will last to the 20's

Picking up Matty Bate with pick 21 would be a steal, and the Hawks would be, as you said rapt with the selection, Kirkby at 26 is not that unrealistic. he only started to bloom late in the year and came from no where, still would be great if he lasted. Wouldn't mind if the Hawks punted on Jack Juniper with pick 53 either, seems as if he has it all, just needs to committ!

Nice to see you can copy/paste off Footydraft.com :rolleyes:

If Richmond don't take him at 1, Tambling will certainly be a Hawk.

Hope we get Roughhead instead of Franklin also. Do not want Franklin.

Slick said:
53. Jesse D. Smith
The 'other' Jesse Smith has made himself a creative centreman after playing last year as a forward. His ability to perform well in two very different positions has been impressive. He was awesome in the TAC Cup Grand Final, gathering over 35 touches.
Smith is excellent at the clearances and will win a lot of contested footy. He has good courage and fantastic goal sense, he is adept at snapping a goal or two. Kicking is usually pretty good.[/COLOR]

Yeah, if you're gonna cut and paste at least cite where you got your info from.

Why would we need Jesse D. Smith? He wouldn't get a game at the club for the next decade behind Hodge, Mitchell, Ries and Sewell - all inside midfielders.

If we use pick 53 it will be on a kp punt, but i doubt we'll utilise that selection at all.

Is that a crime mate? I just wanted to let other people know a bit about these blokes, and FootyDraft.com had the best descriptions..
Would be happy either way, if Richmond took Roughead, we get Franklin, I don't mind.
Would be VERY happy if the Hawks gambled on Jack Juniper with pick 53, seems like he has the lot, just needs the committment!
Would be worth a punt...

Mate, it is a crime to use information that has been taking from someone else for your own benefit, and I don't plan on selling it, I am displaying it for others to view, so it is therefore, not a crime at all.. now can we give up on this and concentrate on the subject of the thread?!

Credit to FootyDraft.com for the comments on each of the players.

Slick said:
Mate, it is a crime to use information that has been taking from someone else for your own benefit, and I don't plan on selling it, I am displaying it for others to view, so it is therefore, not a crime at all.. now can we give up on this and concentrate on the subject of the thread?!

Credit to FootyDraft.com for the comments on each of the players.

In your first post you stated that these were YOUR THOUGHTS....

u backpedal pretty quickly mate

The only problem i see with your draft list is that if the Hawks take Roughead at number 5 then the Bulldogs will almost certainly take Wood with pick 6.

Slick said:
7. Cameron Wood
Wood is a genuine tap ruckman who is already shown his ability in the SANFL under Shaun Rehn. He has a very good leap on him, and his tapwork is excellent for such a young player, he rarely loses a ruck contest.
Wood is also capable of taking some strong marks around the ground, and like most talls will only get better with time. Looks the best of a strong ruck field
[/B]
With Darcy pushing 30 and Street hopeless, what makes you think Wood will last to 7?

Hawks could take Wood at 5 if they really want him and let the Dogs have Roughead. Hawthorn could still pick up Monfries/Ekermann/Lewis/Willitts at 7.

Hawks could take DeLuca at 7 if they want Roughead and a ruckman.

Wood was also Adam Cooney's ruckman at Westies, another reason to get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn Will Pick Up Fabian Deluca With Pick 7 If He Is Still There. I Also Think They Will Take One Of Either Delidio, Franklin Or Tambling With Pick 2. As For Pick 5 Roughead Looks The Likely Pick. As For Bate At 21 It Wont Happen As He Will Be Picked Up By Collingwood With Pick 10.

Collingwood won't take Bate with pick 10 if either Monfries or Eckermann are still around, Collingwood are in dire need of a pacy midfielder, and have up and coming forwards in Cloke, Davidson and Morrison.
The Bulldogs are the one that worries me, they may very well take Wood with pick 6, but may also opt for a KPP as they lack in this area, this will be especially true if they do not get either Franklin or Roughead.

Slick said:
The Bulldogs are the one that worries me, they may very well take Wood with pick 6, but may also opt for a KPP as they lack in this area, this will be especially true if they do not get either Franklin or Roughead.
Seeing Buckanara came out this week and said Hawthorn will be taking a midfielder at 2, if the Dogs don't take Franklin (or perhaps Roughead) at 3, I'll go down there and belt Eade myself.

There seems to ba a forgotten name or two here.....

I think that the Tiges will take Franklin at pick 1....then

Hawks take Deledio with 2
Dogs take Tambling with pick 3
Tiges get Griffen
Hawks get Roughead
Monfries to Dogs
Wood to Hawks

There is no certainty that Deledio will go at 1.
The Tiges are in desperate need of a tall forward to help Richo out.

One thing is guaranteed......the draft will be very very interesting

junior27 said:

Tiges get Griffen
Hawks get Roughead
Monfries to Dogs
Wood to Hawks

How nice of Richmond and Footscray to take the players you want them to take. Of course the two things the Dogs need are two small, lightly built outside midfielders - we don't have many of them!

Obviously you havent been paying attention to thsi years draft. Deledio has the ability to play as a kp forward or a tall midfielder. At 188cm he is very versatile and will fill in a position every week for richmond. He may even grow to the 3rd tall forward at richmond ala like what hamill is at st kilda.

Bate - Won't be there at 21. Brisbane will take him at 18.

Pick 53 if they utilise it, will be on a developing player who may go high next year.

junior27 said:

Tiges get Griffen
Hawks get Roughead
Monfries to Dogs
Wood to Hawks

You dont think that you just hope that

SPECIALK said:
Hawthorn Will Pick Up Fabian Deluca With Pick 7 If He Is Still There. I Also Think They Will Take One Of Either Delidio, Franklin Or Tambling With Pick 2. As For Pick 5 Roughead Looks The Likely Pick. As For Bate At 21 It Wont Happen As He Will Be Picked Up By Collingwood With Pick 10.

Hawthorn will not take a developing ruckman! Guaranteed!

1 Rich- Franklin
2 Haw- Deledio
3 WE- Tambling/Griffen (Griffen most likely)
4 Rich- Tambling/Griffen
5 Haw- Wood
6 WE- Roughead
7 Haw- Dunn (could be a massive suprise packet dont be suprised if he goes this high up)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will the Hawks pick up in the National and Pre Season Drafts??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back