Who will win the 2014 rising star?

Who will win the 2014 rising star award?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick to death of hearing everyone talk about how great the 'Langdon story' is.....
He has genuinely been the best of this lot, KK slightly behind. But he shouldn't win it because of his 'story', ridiculous.

He hasn't been better than Dunstan.

Dunstan wouldn't be in the Pies best 22, Langdon clearly is.

On the topic of Dunstan, whilst he's had a terrific first season he strikes me as a player who has peaked very very early. If your talking about attributes then he's slow, short and isn't particularly good at anything. He reminds me a lot of Rhys Palmer although a slightly less explosive version. The fact he was drafted pick 18 in a very bad draft inflates his perceived value imo. I doubt he gets past 30 in a decent year. It's hard to really fault St Kilda for drafting him though because there really wasn't anyone around there. They could have been a bit more speculative with their selection I guess.

Langers for me as everyone's entitled to be biased from time to time. :p

I just love his story. Nearly overlooked in the draft for the second year in a row, but just scraped in at pick 65 and has played the first ten games and averaged around 19 touches, taken plenty of marks and provided the run that he has. Having said that, any one of those players could just as well impressed just as much, if not more, I just don't know a lot about them.

It is a great year for young talent though.

He has been just as good as Heater was last season, Even Better without him making a Spatcial of himself

Debatable.
Here's some stats:

Langdon
Average Disposals:18.7
Average Marks: 6.2
Average Tackles: 2.8
Disposal Efficiency: 73.8%

Dunstan
Average Disposals:19.9
Average Marks:4.2
Average Tackles:4.2
Disposal Efficiency:67.6%

Keep in mind that Dunstan has been playing in the midfield whilst Langdon has been a permanent back man.
Regardless, Langdon is certainly in the top couple, and people need to stop mentioning his 'story' and mention him in the top few because he has actually been playing that well.

On the topic of Dunstan, whilst he's had a terrific first season he strikes me as a player who has peaked very very early. If your talking about attributes then he's slow, short and isn't particularly good at anything. He reminds me a lot of Rhys Palmer although a slightly less explosive version. The fact he was drafted pick 18 in a very bad draft inflates his perceived value imo. I doubt he gets past 30 in a decent year. It's hard to really fault St Kilda for drafting him though because there really wasn't anyone around there. They could have been a bit more speculative with their selection I guess.

What the hell has that got to do with anything? Langdon probably wouldn't be in Hawthorn or Sydney's back line either, does that mean he's no good?

Last year was a very bad draft? Since when? Dunstan was a star junior in the SANFL and right throughout his u/18 year, he slid if anything, and is no slower than Luke Ball or Taylor Adams.

No player is averaging over 20 touches a game, Langdon being better than everyone else is garbage, he's averaging almost identical stats to KK and McDonald, playing the same role.

It's the most open year in a long time, usually there is a clear cut favourite at this point. If someone can bump their stats up to 20 touches a game, it's usually a stat that gets the job done most years.

Debatable.
Here's some stats:

Langdon
Average Disposals:18.7
Average Marks: 6.2
Average Tackles: 2.8
Disposal Efficiency: 73.8%

Dunstan
Average Disposals:19.9
Average Marks:4.2
Average Tackles:4.2
Disposal Efficiency:67.6%

Keep in mind that Dunstan has been playing in the midfield whilst Langdon has been a permanent back man.
Regardless, Langdon is certainly in the top couple, and people need to stop mentioning his 'story' and mention him in the top few because he has actually been playing that well.

Langdon certainly is in the running but Dunstan has been at the coal face in a struggling side and still getting good numbers.

What the hell has that got to do with anything? Langdon probably wouldn't be in Hawthorn or Sydney's back line either, does that mean he's no good?

Last year was a very bad draft? Since when? Dunstan was a star junior in the SANFL and right throughout his u/18 year, he slid if anything, and is no slower than Luke Ball or Taylor Adams.

No player is averaging over 20 touches a game, Langdon being better than everyone else is garbage, he's averaging almost identical stats to KK and McDonald, playing the same role.

It's the most open year in a long time, usually there is a clear cut favourite at this point. If someone can bump their stats up to 20 touches a game, it's usually a stat that gets the job done most years.

He is clearly taking the piss. What he fails to mention is Langdon is also a year older than all the other boys in the running to date. Fair to say he may be the one with little more upside.

This is hilarious. So going by your logic, Langdon is ridiculously over rated because he went at pick 65 in a shit draft. If it was a good draft he never would have been picked.

science.gif

I get the feeling KK will win it this year. Seems to have a bit of extra class when I've seen him compared with Langdon and Mcdonald. Although I have trouble noticing Mcdonald when I watch North as he just seems to blend seamlessly into their back line.

I get the feeling KK will win it this year. Seems to have a bit of extra class when I've seen him compared with Langdon and Mcdonald. Although I have trouble noticing Mcdonald when I watch North as he just seems to blend seamlessly into their back line.
Tends to play very close to his man. I'm always surprised to see his disposal count at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Tends to play very close to his man. I'm always surprised to see his disposal count at the end of the game.
And surprised that he has a descent disposal efficiency as they often give it to him to boot out of the defensive fifty during a frenzy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunstan, but the likes of Impey, Langdon (great pick up/recruiting) and Mcdonald are all chances. Mcondald and Dunstan are the front runners from my own perspective and probably bias as well.

Odd that on Triple M when asked their mid season favourite. A couple of blokes replied Langdon due to his story and where came from. Poor really if that's even considered.

Langdon just behind KK for me irrespective of his 'story'

Can't see how they are in front of Dunstan to be honest .
From a neutral perspective I can very much see how they are in front of Dunstan, who runs third for me.

Have you seriously watched the other two? They play like 100 gamers. Dunstan plays like the good 10 gamer he is.

Langdon for sure. Probably top 8-10 in the Pies BnF at the moment. Dunstan hasn't dominated a game like Langdon has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will win the 2014 rising star?

Back