who would u pick in the 08 Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am so glad Gold Coast did not get to have this draft.

Ess Hurley / Zaka
Freo Hill / Ballantyne
WC Naitanui / Shuey
North Anthony / Zieball
Coll Beams / Sidebottom
Port Hartlett / Trengrove
not bad combos here

What was really scary was how deep this draft went. I don't know what other teams later picks were but Freo also got Suban, Broughton, DeBoer, Walters, Van Berlo among some others.

What was really scary was how deep this draft went. I don't know what other teams later picks were but Freo also got Suban, Broughton, DeBoer, Walters, Van Berlo among some others.

we got beams with pick 30, pretty sure he'd go top 15 at least now.

I love that we got Hill, but I still reckon Naitanui is on his way to being the player of the draft.

Maybe it's my bias in seeing the value of a ruckman who is absolutely dominant, and the knowledge that WA has produced some absolutely outstanding ruckmen, but I reckon Naitanui, if he reaches his best, could be like watching Stephen Michael on the national stage. A top quality tap ruckman who is absolutely unstoppable at ground level.

I hope it doesn't happen, because I hate West Coast, but the value is certainly there.

I've reported this post because clearly someone has hacked your account gravox!! :D

The inclusion of Hartlett in discussions, particularly around the pointy end, is extremely premature.

There is little doubt he has the talent, plays with a skill and maturity that is fantastic - but is also shown that he is likely to be plagued by soft tissue injuries - which will probably curb his career.

Hopefully for Port's sake he does a Rojer James and lifts them to a flag in between injuries - but i reckon they've got themselves an bloke who injuries will rob of an excellent career.

Same could be said of Shuey of course - but his injuries have been more joint/bone - which aren't as prone to recurring.

This such a speulative thread. If you had of put this up last year at the same time of the year everyone would have had Rich, Natanui ad possibly Hurley up as their best players with Hill languishing down the bottom end. A year on Rich has had second year blues and Hill has come one so the ratings are switched.

No one of any reasonable judgement had Hill near the bottom. He had more Brownlow votes than all those players bar Rich, finished fifth in the Rising Star voting ahead of all bar Rich.

If I was picking a KP, I'd pick Hurley. I like watts but don't rate him at one like most would.

Midfield I'd go Hill or Hartlett. Being a Westies fan, I rate the lat very high and just needs to stay fit. Will look great alongside Boak, Gray, Salopek and Moore. Sidebottom is the big game player that I would love at the Cats. What a draft much better IMO than the 2006 'superdraft'.

Haha, so indirectly what you have stated is a guy that's played 20ish games and a "plodder" is your 2nd best midfielder........

God damn Essendon is shit.
piss off flog. Zaharkis has shown more than Ziebell and I dont care about draft positions. Ziebell will probably overtake him but if I was picking for round 1 next year, I'd go with the 09 ANZAC Day hero.

I am a little surprised so many have guys like Sidebottom, Ziebell & Hartlett ahead of Rich. Rich has shown heaps more and is about a zillion times more damaging than these guys.

(And yes Collingwood supporters, I'm aware Sidebottom played very well in the GF)

My Fave's:

Hill (Voted most likely to be a freakin' superstar of the comp)
NicNat (Just a freak)
Rich (Gets the ball and kicks it very, very well)
Hurley (Cant turn down a quality KPP)

I am a little surprised so many have guys like Sidebottom, Ziebell & Hartlett ahead of Rich. Rich has shown heaps more and is about a zillion times more damaging than these guys.

(And yes Collingwood supporters, I'm aware Sidebottom played very well in the GF)

My Fave's:

NicNat (Just a freak)

Rich has done quite a bit no doubt (more in 09 than 10 probably) but to say he's done 'heaps more' than Sidebottom is a bit of a stretch, especially considering Sidebottom's record in finals...
Also was top 10 in our B&F this year, ahead of guys like O'Brien, Jolly, Shaw, Wellingham.. massive achievement

My Fave's:

NicNat (Just a freak)

stopped reading there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that we have lost Bock, definetley Davis. Will be a very good CHB for us, and makes the loss of Bock a lot easier to deal with. NicNat is a freak though, and I love watching Hill.

1. Davis
2. NicNat
3. Hill

Top 3

Hill - absolute gun which only injuries will stop him from being a great of the game ?
Hurley - as much as I hate to admit it looks to be a very good KP which only get better after 3-4 years within a AFL club.
Rich - great first year dodgy second still hope he can be a good player , just ahead of sidebottom who is unlikely to be in his sides best midfield for at least 2 years and as a flanker type forward is unlikely to surpass Didak or Thomas for a year or two ?

Haha, so indirectly what you have stated is a guy that's played 20ish games and a "plodder" is your 2nd best midfielder........

God damn Essendon is shit.

the last line exposes your agenda big guy, and in doing so makes a mockery of your first stanza.

Like with you, I can't be ****ed getting into an idiot fight, so I was stating the obvious. Whatever conclusions you want to draw, enjoy, go pull your dick

Huge call...very premature. Look at the best ruckmen in the league in recent times (Cox, Sandilands, McIntosh, Jamar, Jolly, Kreuzer, Mumford, Hille, Lade, Everitt etc...). Apart from Kreuzer, not one of them did much of note at all until they were about 23-24 and some of them were looked at as complete spuds for several years before they hit their stride at the top level.

I guess it's a big call and it could be premature. I thinik Cox and Sandlands showed something early on after being rookie listed. Jamar took 6-7 years to show anything and Hille was spudish early on. There's just something about Vickery that tells me he won't be as good as those picked around him. I don't mind if I'm proven wrong, it's not an anti-Richmond thing.

Of the top dozen players chosen in the '08 draft, they all look pretty good to me. They've all show glimpses of their ability, some more than others. I think it's too early to tell with some of them. They all have the talent, but what about their hunger and drive to succeed?

Stephen Hill is the obvious standout to this point. He could win a Brownlow one day

Steele Sidebottom is a smart footballer who doesn't get fazed by anything

Why is someone like David Zaharakis mentioned ahead of 21st pick, Hayden Ballantyne? Ballantyne looks like he'll be a much better AFL footballer. People really hate the ugly-looking midget forward pockets like Ballantyne, Milne, Betts, Phil Matera, etc... You can bet their coaches appreciate their worth.

Good late picks:
  • Pick 31, Jordan Roughead looks like a good player in the making for the Bulldogs
  • Pick 41, Todd Banfield was an inspired late pick by Brisbane. Nicely balanced, smart footballer with a short turning circle.
  • Pick 73, Leigh Brown has been great value for Collingwood

What about the guys who were overlooked?
  • Rookie draft pick 30, Liam Picken, tough as nails, a real goer for the Bulldogs
  • Rookie draft pick 74, Greg Broughton, great pick up for Fremantle
  • Rookie draft pick 76, Sam Jacobs, handy ruckman for the Blues, a nice pack mark

Melbourne plucked Liam Jurrah a few weeks later in the PSD and he has wandered out of the desert to become an AFL star

1.Rich
2.Naitanui
3.Hill
4.Hannebery
5.Hurley
6.Ziebell
7.Watts
8.Davis

It was hard to choose between Rich and Naitanui, the rest fell into place

I think it'll be the best draft of the 00's, all 8 blokes should be absolute guns,

Rich is going to be an excellent player, an absolute terrier and an absolute elite kick, Elite as in the top 5-10 players, not just "a good disposal" This guy hits Jon Brown right on the tit from 50 meters when both are running at full speed past two defenders.

Wouldn't trade Hill for anyone, that's for sure

If I could steal anyone for Freo:

1. Sidebottom- think others will be better players in terms of AAs, brownlow votes etc. but has shown both as a junior and in the AFL that he's a big game player

2. Davis- Classy player, looks like he could hold down CHB which is something we need. The moment that impressed me the most was when he ran back with the flight of the ball into the path of Sandilands, got cleaned up and broke his collarbone but still managed to hold onto the mark. Respect

3. Jurrah- A freak, will kick 50 this year if injury free

4. Rich- Can never have enough great kicks, just imagine Rich, Hill and Mundy delivering it into the 50.

5. Hurley- Shown more than any other KPP so far, would be higher if not for question marks over his attitude

1. Hill
2. Rich
3. Hurley
4. Hannebery
5. Ziebell

I wouldn't want a player like Naitanui at the Lions if we were short on Ruckman. Brennan frustrated the lions for so many years and I would rather the high skilled consistent players than a player with x factor that can drift out of games.

Of the top dozen players chosen in the '08 draft, they all look pretty good to me. They've all show glimpses of their ability, some more than others. I think it's too early to tell with some of them. They all have the talent, but what about their hunger and drive to succeed?

Stephen Hill is the obvious standout to this point. He could win a Brownlow one day

Steele Sidebottom is a smart footballer who doesn't get fazed by anything

Why is someone like David Zaharakis mentioned ahead of 21st pick, Hayden Ballantyne? Ballantyne looks like he'll be a much better AFL footballer. People really hate the ugly-looking midget forward pockets like Ballantyne, Milne, Betts, Phil Matera, etc... You can bet their coaches appreciate their worth.

Good late picks:
  • Pick 31, Jordan Roughead looks like a good player in the making for the Bulldogs
  • Pick 41, Todd Banfield was an inspired late pick by Brisbane. Nicely balanced, smart footballer with a short turning circle.
  • Pick 73, Leigh Brown has been great value for Collingwood

What about the guys who were overlooked?
  • Rookie draft pick 30, Liam Picken, tough as nails, a real goer for the Bulldogs
  • Rookie draft pick 74, Greg Broughton, great pick up for Fremantle
  • Rookie draft pick 76, Sam Jacobs, handy ruckman for the Blues, a nice pack mark

Melbourne plucked Liam Jurrah a few weeks later in the PSD and he has wandered out of the desert to become an AFL star

id love ballyntine in my team, not as a small fwd though but as a speedy mid, takes the game on and breaks lines.

also, beams was pick 30 as well.

10. Watts (This guy has shown absolutely nothing not even 1 game where he has dominated)

statements like this really piss me off... how many 19 year old 86kg KPF's do you see 'dominating' ?

and he has shown some signs, not a lot but still some

i have huge faith in Watts and i think he will become a fine player

my list...

1. Hill
2. Watts
3. Hurley
4. Davis
5. Ziebell

Remove this Banner Ad

who would u pick in the 08 Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back